Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,428,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Actually now that Delta is out of bankruptcy, America's 3rd largest carrier has already voted down any possibility of it being bought out. The shareholders had gone with the recs of the board. Delta is actually eyeing other companies now.

United has expressed interest in Continental, but anti-trust may kick in
The only successful merger in the works is Air Tran with hostile takeover of Midwest.

My predictions: American may make a play for Alaska to increase its west coast presence. If a Delta or United with Continental happens, then American hooks up with Northwest, which has valuable Asian routes.

If I were you I would not hope for a Delta/Continental hook up. That could threaten the corporate HQ in Houston as it may move to Atlanta given the fact that a combined airline's largest hub would be there and most of the operations market share wise would be on the East coast.
Also Continental would lose its culture as a niche carrier that serves higher paying business passengers. I like Continental the way it is. It's a great niche carrier in a sea of carriers that operate similarly in the US.

But Continental hookup with Delta would mean the end of the Continental namebrand, as Delta has more world-wide recognition. HIstorically, the merger keeps the brand with the largest market share and brand name recognition:
examples: Norwest bank with Wellsfargo
American West with US Air
Ozark with TWA
Republic with Northwest
No. The HQ would have moved to Houston, but Atlanta would have still had a large hub.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:24 PM

609 posts, read 2,924,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
No. The HQ would have moved to Houston, but Atlanta would have still had a large hub.
Not so sure a/b that. The combined carrier would have most of its operations on the East Coast with Delta's JFK, Atlanta hubs, and Continental's Newark. Also, Delta has focus cities in Orlando, Tampa, Boston. Besides, the Atlanta HQ could accomodate more people given the fact that Delta is much larger than Continental.

There's a big drop off after the #3 spot. Continental and NWA are no were near American, United, and Delta.

But it's a mute point now since Delta's shareholders have voted with the board. The Atlanta hub of Delta is much larger FYI than Houston's. Delta offers 1000 flights a day to 242 destinations (in its bankruptcy state)...now emerged from bankruptcy, things are changing rapidly at Delta as they ramp up.
Continental only 785 flights per day to 183 destinations out of Houston.

Last edited by metroplex2003; 06-29-2007 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 05:41 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,635,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
This has nothing to do with what Spade and I were discussing. Besides, I thought we put that to rest? We agreed to disagree.

Actually, yeah, it did. We were arguing if a city has more if not all it's skyline in one area of the city. New York does. Metroplex just broke it down and expanded on it.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Not so sure a/b that. The combined carrier would have most of its operations on the East Coast with Delta's JFK, Atlanta hubs, and Continental's Newark. Also, Delta has focus cities in Orlando, Tampa, Boston. Besides, the Atlanta HQ could accomodate more people given the fact that Delta is much larger than Continental.

There's a big drop off after the #3 spot. Continental and NWA are no were near American, United, and Delta.

But it's a mute point now since Delta's shareholders have voted with the board. The Atlanta hub of Delta is much larger FYI than Houston's. Delta offers 1000 flights a day to 242 destinations (in its bankruptcy state)...now emerged from bankruptcy, things are changing rapidly at Delta as they ramp up.
Continental only 785 flights per day to 183 destinations out of Houston.
Delta even trumps American, so I don't get your point with Continental "only" having 785 flights per day.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:08 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,588,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, yeah, it did. We were arguing if a city has more if not all it's skyline in one area of the city. New York does. Metroplex just broke it down and expanded on it.
Actually, I'm afraid it didn't. Metroplex2003 was only saying what he's always said: that New York's skyline is far too big and glamorous to be compared to Houston's. That was in no way on point with what you and I were discussing.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:21 PM

47 posts, read 250,314 times
Quote:
In order for this opinion to be accurate, you would have to know exactly what I am thinking, which you do not, so you should probably quit while you're ahead.
No one can know what you are thinking through forum communication...your posts are the only things open to interpretation.

Quote:
Now, what part of this says bigger is better?
Are you playing dumb? Someone doesn't have to communicate in a literal manner to imply something.

Quote:
Honey, you're preaching to the choir here.
Exactly why you've been argueing over my "preaching" this whole time.

Quote:
Few areas. Do I think Houston is the better city? Of course, but it has nothing to do with its population or area size.
Then there would never really be a reason to make mention of houston's size. This isn't a thread of trivial information.

Quote:
In trying to sound smart, you're making no sense. So again...quit. This little quote below isn't even where you fell off topic.
Specify the quote where i got "off-topic". Care to also explain how i "don't make sense"? Big claims need big evidence. Anyone can dismiss statements as nonsese and carry along.

Quote:
You digressed better than I ever could.
Nope, i brought up a different topic and you seem to be stuck on structure talk. Therefore you digressed from the subject matter i created, unless you were quoting my statements to make me talk about buildings.

I even provided quotes to my posts in italics of which you chose to ignore, or starred to indicate that you made a mistake(i don't know which one).

Quote:
Wow. So now I'm a liar??
No, but you're apparently paranoid...i wasn't being sarcastic, but simply taking your word..

Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 PM

609 posts, read 2,924,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Delta even trumps American, so I don't get your point with Continental "only" having 785 flights per day.
Delta's Atlanta trump's American's DFW, but American overall trumps Delta.

IT's nice to have the number one carrier headquartered in your area.

HOWEVER, We were trying to surmise where a combined delta and continental would end up for HQ...I think it would make most sense for Atlanta, since the bulk of the combined carrier's operations would be in Atlanta. Either that, or the NYC area.

We werent talking a/b American since American is not hooking up with Delta or Continental.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:45 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,588,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
No one can know what you are thinking through forum communication...your posts are the only things open to interpretation.
Exactly. No such interpretation could allow you to draw an "accurate" opinion.

Quote:
Are you playing dumb? Someone doesn't have to communicate in a literal manner to imply something.
Let's try this again: you canno simply infer and conclude that I was suggesting bigger size meant better quality.

Quote:
Exactly why you've been argueing over my "preaching" this whole time.
Because for some reason, you don't believe me.

Quote:
This isn't a thread of trivial information.
I'm going to hold you to this statement right here.

Quote:
Specify the quote where i got "off-topic". Care to also explain how i "don't make sense"? Big claims need big evidence. Anyone can dismiss statements as nonsese and carry along.
At the time that I pointed out your digression, I had noted how our port was in Houston, then I went on to explain how Houston business is centralized and how "Dallas" business is all throughout North Texas. You then went on talking about how Dallas has prospered anyway, as if to ignore my statement rather than drawing from it.

Quote:
Therefore you digressed from the subject matter i created, unless you were quoting my statements to make me talk about buildings.
There's no such thing as digressing from a new subject when the other subject isn't complete. Whoever switches from an incomplete topic is the one who digresses.

Quote:
I even provided quotes to my posts in italics of which you chose to ignore, or starred to indicate that you made a mistake(i don't know which one).
Where?

Quote:
No, but you're apparently paranoid...i wasn't being sarcastic, but simply taking your word..
Yeah right.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Delta's Atlanta trump's American's DFW, but American overall trumps Delta.

IT's nice to have the number one carrier headquartered in your area.

HOWEVER, We were trying to surmise where a combined delta and continental would end up for HQ...I think it would make most sense for Atlanta, since the bulk of the combined carrier's operations would be in Atlanta. Either that, or the NYC area.

We werent talking a/b American since American is not hooking up with Delta or Continental.
With CO being the parent company, I am sure Houston would have gotten the HQ. There was even a discussion about it on other forums. CO wouldn't move its operations to Atlanta. Number one carrier in terms of flights, but the airline is a piece of crap. No wonder why it isn't growing.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 PM

47 posts, read 250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Exactly. No such interpretation could allow you to draw an "accurate" opinion.
Interpretation of your posts (i.e. text) which can only be interpreted whether a statement was articulated in a proper manner or not is what gave my opinion "accuracy". In other words, if you word it in a manner you did not intend, you will still get an interpretation that best fits the text if it's blatantly ovbious to dissect..

Quote:
Let's try this again: you canno simply infer and conclude that I was suggesting bigger size meant better quality.
Of course you can, as long as the text implies it. Any misunderstanding is apprently caused by you posting something and me taking it the wrong way? If so, then stop boasting of dallas being a small city by itself and refusing the use of DFW to be a means of competing with the houston. If bigger does not equal better you should logically allow such, but instead dread it with great dislike as if DFW is an unfair comparison to greater houston. (or possibly better)

Quote:
Because for some reason, you don't believe me.
Believe what? Because i don't believe you, you will disagree to statements you actually agree with? I don't get it.

Quote:
At the time that I pointed out your digression, I had noted how our port was in Houston, then I went on to explain how Houston business is centralized and how "Dallas" business is all throughout North Texas. You then went on talking about how Dallas has prospered anyway, as if to ignore my statement rather than drawing from it.
That is exactly where you digressed...The subject was that dallas is a success without the conveniance of a body of water. You replied to a statement of mine that had nothing to do with my post, therefore it was you who strayed from topic. I said that "dallas prospered anyway" because you weren't adressing my comment regarding dallas's success as a landlocked city..

Quote:
There's no such thing as digressing from a new subject when the other subject isn't complete. Whoever switches from an incomplete topic is the one who digresses.
What? Of course you can...i created another topic for the people of this thread to ponder, you replied to it, however at one point you dodged one of my points(said above). No one is obligated to keep talking about structures and the like. This whole thread consists of multiple digressions, going by your logic.

Quote:
Where?
Here:

What you don't understand however, is that Dallas is its own city,that doesn't plan on adding buildings for the sake of competition. It obviously doesn't require a port or more buildings to surpass houston in certain aspects.

and: Wait a minute..So the port offers no great benefit to houston? As opposed to the many statements i have seen regarding the" blessing" of an ocean/port you're suggesting that the landlocked city limits of houton are doing most of the work and deserve the most credit for its prosperity. Just as the landlocked DFW metro is prospering without the aforementioned.

^ You starred them for some reason.

Quote:
Yeah right.
You showed me an image showing a body of water going through houston. I believed you, i wasn't being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas