Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 04:59 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times

Advertisements

And the winner is!

YouTube - Dallas 3rd Season Intro

After all, how many TV shows have there been about Houston? Heh, heh...

Cheers

Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You see that building that's in the background in the left that looks like Dallas' BOA tower? That's in Queens. So yes, New York is one of them. Not to mention that most of NYC's 5000 plus buildings are located in one area which is Manhattan.
So you found a picture with the tower in it? My point still stands. Do you know how many pictures of Downtown Houston I can find with Williams Tower very visible? The only difference is that NY's skyline is longer so they appear to be in the same area, when you know they're not. And what about Downtown Brooklyn? Considering the fact that it takes a good while to transfer boroughs, I would hardly say that New York's skyline is in one area.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
Not quite:
Um, actually yeah.

Quote:
Since houstoners love to bring up fort worth and surrounding areas as vital to dallas's size. (an apparent downplay) it is only obvious that there is a subtle concept of bigger = better. It would have never seemed implied if not as much emphasis was placed on houston's size.
Anyway. Like I said. That's your opinion, but it's not a fact. Now, talking about the truth about Dallas and Fort Worth, that's laying down the facts. You act as if I'm blind to Houston's many many flaws.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the fact that Dallas/the metroplex is prospering without the bodies of water, people love to point as a determining factor for what makes a great city and why a city is successful.
What in the world does that have to do with what we were talking about?

Quote:
Also why does it show houston as a landlocked city on wikipedia? I know that the port is owned by houston, but wiki suggets otherwise in terms of geographic location.
If you would look closely, you see bodies of water running through the city (thus, the old Allen's Landing original port...birthplace of Houston). I never said all of the port was located in the city. I said much of it.

All of this is Houston

Quote:
Disputed data doesn't usually go out for public view unless settled. Especially when you're dealing with data that involves cities. It definitely appears to be a peer reviewed source, that took lots of time to compile.
I didn't mean disputed literally. I meant that I'm sure you can find other sites with different rankings.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
And the winner is!

Cheers
Yeah, and that television show stereotyped Texas all throughout its run. So there's your "win."

Besides, I'm pretty sure that Houston has more movies with many more to come.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:03 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yeah, and that television show stereotyped Texas all throughout its run. So there's your "win."

Yep, Jason's Lyric comes to mind.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:

You gotta admit, people love that show even to this day.. Lots of recognition in that TV show. As far as movies, I have laid no claim to such but it would be interesting to find out which area boasts more movies.

Oh yeah, there's the Dallas movie that will be coming up in about a year. The majority of the film won't be shot around here but I'm sure it will do very well in the box office. More stereotyping to follow...

Old 06-28-2007, 12:25 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
So you found a picture with the tower in it? My point still stands. Do you know how many pictures of Downtown Houston I can find with Williams Tower very visible? The only difference is that NY's skyline is longer so they appear to be in the same area, when you know they're not. And what about Downtown Brooklyn? Considering the fact that it takes a good while to transfer boroughs, I would hardly say that New York's skyline is in one area.
No I found a picture with the Tower integrated well into their skyline. My point also still stands. The Williams Tower is a huge building that's part of a different skyline. The citicorp building of Queens is not. The majority of New York's skyline lies in Manhattan. Over 5000 of them. New York has a long continous skyline longer than the area from probably downtown Houston to past Uptown Houston. I'm sure that building in Queens is not far from Manhattan at all considering New York's area is much smaller than Houston. I'm sure that cluster you're referring to in Brooklyn does not rival anything in Manhattan. However, Houston has multiple different skylines well within the city. That's the difference between the two cities. So again, yes, New York is part of it.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:12 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,892 times
Quote:
And the winner is!

Cheers
And around that time in the real world, Houston was booming like Dubai. It was a real estate developers paradise.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:14 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,892 times
Quote:
You gotta admit, people love that show even to this day.. Lots of recognition in that TV show. As far as movies, I have laid no claim to such but it would be interesting to find out which area boasts more movies.

Oh yeah, there's the Dallas movie that will be coming up in about a year. The majority of the film won't be shot around here but I'm sure it will do very well in the box office. More stereotyping to follow...
People (actors) have been backing out of that movie. And hopefully the generation that actually watched the show see it in theaters. I doubt my generation will.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:47 PM

609 posts, read 2,922,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
If you want, we could add in Dallas and Fort Worth together (cities only), to Houston and compare that. They come out larger in square milage, but smaller in population/business.

Houston is probably ahead of Philly by now, and if not now, then next year.

Yet, American handles more traffic out of O'Hare than DFW.

Oh and recent article on census figures points that Ft. Worth is the fastest growing city in the United States with 500,000 people or more.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but Houston is right up there in business growth and corporate relocations. DFW is not even close to outpacing Houston in that.

Houston has the state's fastest job growth (in raw numbers). Houston has the state's lowest unemployment rate at 3.8% according to this (http://www.houston.org/blackfenders/10CW001.pdf - broken link). Houston has the state's largest and busiest port, as well as the state's highest rated soccer and baseball team. It is less expensive, has great retail, and was named Texas' #1 restaurant city.
DFW outpaces Houston in corporate relocations.

Also, DFW is American's largest hub with 783 daily departures to 155 non stop destinations world wide.
Chicago only has 512 and shrinking due to a bargaining agreement with the City of Chicago and United Airlines to shrink the number of flights/reduce capacity due to congestion. This paved the way for Atlanta to become the busiest airport in the world.
Chicago has 120 non-stops.

Chicago is the Asian gateway for American, DFW is one of 2 Latin American Gateways, with Miami being the largest.
But DFW does offer non-stops to Asia, Europe, and South America on American, the world's largest carrier.

Now yes, Chicago handles more passengers than DFW...that is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas