Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 06:43 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,580,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Basically, you would like it yourself to be all one skyline.
To become a long strip of buildings? Yes. To all be concentrated into a downtown area? No.

Quote:
The only scraper anyone likes in uptown is the Williams Tower. That would be a great bulding in downtown Houston.
I like the Leaf Towers.

Quote:
All of the great skylines of the world are in one area. It's downtown or CBD for a reason. You'll only find these in the most centralized cities.
Not always.

Quote:
That is not a good pic of New York and Chicago is known for lighting up it's downtown like a Christmas Tree. And while New York is not Hong Kong by any means when it comes to colors. It still lights up it's downtown at night much better than Houston does when it comes to illuminating.
Not all the time. It really depends on the night. That picture of Chicago had parts that were barely lit, and look at this picture of downtown New York:

It's producing about as much as a glow as Downtown Houston. Now, Midtown Manhattan is a different story because that's where people live, versus Lower Manhattan where people work.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 PM

47 posts, read 250,172 times
Quote:
And Houston's skyline is just as spread out as New York's.
New York is extremely spread out...adding to the low density of houston structures compared to new york only emphasizes what i've said.
Quote:
Speak for yourself.
I most likely speak for not only dallasites but for the unbiased and individuals who are blind of their denial thanks to sheer pride.

Quote:
Not to me. Certain shots of downtown Houston in the daytime look really dull. At night, on the other hand, the lights make the skyscrapers look very bold and it becomes obvious that Houston has the third biggest skyline. It's all about angle.
Every shot i've seen of houston thus far appears dull to me...

Quote:
NOW WHO, AT FIRST GLANCE, WOULD THINK THAT'S HOUSTON?
Like i said, the unique aspect of a skyline is what i like...if a skyline is hard to identify that isn't something i would consider a plus. houston resembles a new york like skyline (plain) and is severely lacking in the aforementioned department.

Quote:
The difference between Houston's and Dallas' is that Houston has the look of a mega city. Dallas' skyline would fit a more medium sized major city better.
Dallas actually appears to have more buildings than houston based on the numerous photos i've seen (although that isn't true)...i have no idea honestly where the hell houston's buildings come from.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,421,361 times
Houston has far more buildings in its Downtown than Dallas. It is so damn obvious, too. Looking from the west, it still looks as if Houston has more buildings. From the South/Southeast, Houston's skyline blows away Downtown Dallas is the number of buildings. How can you not see that (or even think that Dallas has more than Houston)?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Houston has far more buildings in its Downtown than Dallas. It is so damn obvious, too. Looking from the west, it still looks as if Houston has more buildings. From the South/Southeast, Houston's skyline blows away Downtown Dallas is the number of buildings. How can you not see that (or even think that Dallas has more than Houston)?

I know for a FACT that houston is denser than dallas in terms of skyline, don't get me wrong. I think it's just the angle shots but sometimes it does appear to be denser.

I think it can also be attributed to houston's CBD buildings being more spread out. Dallas's appear closer together.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,276,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
I think it can also be attributed to houston's CBD buildings being more spread out. Dallas's appear closer together.
Wrong again. You need to just quit while you're ahead because its clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Houston's (CBD) buildings are no more spread out than Dallas's(CBD). Houston's downtown is larger than Dallas's in square footage but they are pretty much the same, they both have surface lots galore. Dallas might be building more high rise structures than Houston right now, but its only catching up with decades of work that Houston has already done.

Houston can just sit back, kick its feet up and smoke a cigar while it still continues to add on the Houston Pavilions, Park Tower, and all the development that's gonna follow on the east part of downtown once those projects are completed. Also add on the Houston Dynamo stadium that will be built out along with all the surrounding developments. Oh and did i mention its all in downtown? That will be 3 sports stadiums in downtown Houston to Dallas's 1. Heck, Dallas's staium technically isn't even IN downtown, its off to the side .

Oh, and i too hate Houston's skyline at night. Dallas does kick its a$$ on that one.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Wrong again. You need to just quit while you're ahead because its clear you have no idea what you're talking about.
Your rant delivered nothing as well.

Quote:
Houston's (CBD) buildings are no more spread out than Dallas's(CBD). Houston's downtown is larger than Dallas's in square footage but they are pretty much the same, they both have surface lots galore. Dallas might be building more high rise structures than Houston right now, but its only catching up with decades of work that Houston has already done.
lol i don't care, i still believe dallas looks better! You think correcting me with info that is relies more on visual rather concrete data is going to change my views?! Not to mention its "square feet" is irrelevent to how it looks to me.

Quote:
Houston can just sit back, kick its feet up and smoke a cigar while it still continues to add on the Houston Pavilions, Park Tower, and all the development that's gonna follow on the east part of downtown once those projects are completed. Also add on the Houston Dynamo stadium that will be built out along with all the surrounding developments. Oh and did i mention its all in downtown?
Did i not mention that i couldn't care less of houston's projects? Dallas definitely has a lot more going on, and even though i may not know all the details some of the guys here know tons. Victory park is what i can think of off the top of my ahead, and it's seems to be a project far superior to the developements you mentioned.

Quote:
That will be 3 sports stadiums in downtown Houston to Dallas's 1. Heck, Dallas's staium technically isn't even IN downtown, its off to the side .
LMAO...i'm couldn't care less about houston's stadiums. Just to bluntly hint as to why it was this very forum that literally reminded me of what houston's football team name was. (no offense)

Quote:
Oh, and i too hate Houston's skyline at night. Dallas does kick its a$$ on that one.
Are you aware that your statement made my whole post worthless, as we essentially agreed upon my main point...(?)

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-25-2007 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM

20,522 posts, read 33,579,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
To become a long strip of buildings? Yes. To all be concentrated into a downtown area? No.
It's not the point that you want them all concentrated in downtown. But have a continous flow of scrapers leading from downtown to uptown or midtown or whichever city other district a city has. Not a cluster of buidings than 2 miles of a huge gap then another cluster of buildings.
Quote:
I like the Leaf Towers.
It would look lovely in downtown.
Quote:
Not always.
Most are.
Quote:
Not all the time. It really depends on the night. That picture of Chicago had parts that were barely lit, and look at this picture of downtown New York:
Where on that pic of Chicago was it barely lit? Seriously, Houston does not come close to a nighttime skyline as Chicago.

And this

Does not compare to both pictures I posted. Houston's skyline is great. Top 10 in the US and even top 5 in many people's list. But if there is one thing the skyline lacks. It's the way it lights up at night. It's not it's strong point. However, that is one thing that could easily change.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,276,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
Your rant delivered nothing as well.

lol i don't care, i still believe dallas looks better! You think correcting me with info that is relies more on visual rather concrete data is going to change my views?! Not to mention its "square feet" is irrelevent to how it looks to me.
Well you are entitled to your own opinion, but i still say that most people i've talked to like Houston's skyline overall. I actually agree with you. I think Dallas looks better because it has better individual buildings. But i think Houston's skyline looks better overall because of its sheer size.

You may not care about any of that i mentioned but like it or not, some of those things are factored into creating a more dense, urbane skyline.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:56 PM

609 posts, read 2,922,720 times
Whoa! THis is great discussion. And it's nice to have some Dallas people rejoin the conversation. Houston has a great skyline, no denying that. But I think a lot of the Houston people with the exception of some who actually have made positive comments a/b Dallas just cannot accept the fact that it has to share its major city status with Dallas up north.

DFW has a great skyline. DOwntown Dallas, Downtown Ft. Worth. Downtown Las Colinas, The tollway District. And if you compare MSA vs. MSA, DFW might actually win. I would have to do the tallies which I dont have time to do right now. I agree it's less dense than Houston. I think I've provided that objective evidence already. Houston: 333 Dallas 238. But what I also pointed out was that there are several tall high rises not included in that stat. Las Colinas, which is only 11 miles out of downtown (Uptown Houston is 9 miles) adds 69 high rises to that number. The tollway district is essentially the 2nd largest skyline behind downtown/uptown Dallas. Most of it is not included in the Stats. The Richardson telecom cooridor is not included. And Downtown Ft. Worth's 150 buildings are not included. And if anyone has taken the Skylink at DFW Int'l, they can see all the major skylines from the geographic center of the metroplex. It's quite impressive.

Now, Downtown Dallas vs. downtown Houston, ok, fine, Houston wins in density of buidlings. But in terms of recognizable skylines, it might go to Dallas b/c of the media popularity of the show Dallas, which is still popular internationally. Half my family lives in Europe. Also, Dallas has Reunion Tower, which adds something distinctive. And with the building of the 30 story+ Santiago Calatrava Bridges, it's only going to add more distinction to the skyline in addtion to the amazing architecture going up in the 25 high rises that have been approved. The Museum Tower will be a modern architectural marvel. One Victory Tower will look beautiful. Cirque, Azure, The House by Yoo; these all are adding to downtown/uptown Dallas, which is more continuous than Houston downtown/uptown, which is separated by 9 miles. Even the tiny Hunt Corp world headquarters looks distinctly unique. The new 7-eleven World HQ also looks great. Add the new buildings going up in the Arts District, and you have a potentially unique skyline that although may not have as many buildings overall as downtown Houston, may have the modern distinctive architecture that would garner national and world wide attention.

With regards to downtown/uptown Dallas vs. Houston's, Dallas is more continous. I dont think anyone can argue that. Separation b/t Houston's comes close to the separation b/t Downtown Las Colinas and Downtown Dallas. That's why I've made the comparison of continuity b/t LC and DT Dalllas and Downtown Houston and Uptown Houston.

But at the end of the day, NYC and Chicago own the unofficial rights to best skylines in North America (not just America). There is no comparison.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,421,361 times
How many times do I have to say that Houston's Midtown is its version of Dallas' Uptown. You can't compare Houston's Uptown to Dallas' Uptown. And since when does Las Colinas have a Downtown? Las Colinas is a business park in Irving. It is mostly filled with suburban office campuses. Add up the metro areas, and Houston still wins. The city itself actually has over 880 highrises (according to Emporis).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas