Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I thought "Texans" was a stupid name when the team was first created but it sounds OK now. Not that different from "49ers" or "Patriots".

Pretty sure the Cowboys star is the lone star
The Lone Star is white (Texas flag) or bronze (rustic Texas) not blue & silver.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man 2099 View Post
Blah, blah, blah. I'm not even from Texas originally, so I really don't even care. But the Cowboys is still 100x better as a team name than the "Texans," which was is the original and salient point.
What you are overlooking is that most nic names are silly , lame, or downright offensive. The more a franchise produces winning results, the better image they, and their nic names will have. So if the Texans produce a winner, the better their name will sound to people like you. lol

Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston wasn't thinking about spiting Dallas when they put up the World's largest HD screen either huh?

The 11 year old video board at Reliant was still functioning fine. LED's last over 20 years so it was barely into half its life.
They got the screens so they could get another Super Bowl and big college games. It had nothing to do with Dallas. Those old video boards were just that....old. all the other teams switched to HD boards.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:45 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
The Lone Star is white (Texas flag) or bronze (rustic Texas) not blue & silver.
And you what do you expect? For the cowboys to copy the exact flag and put it on their helmet. Lame. You have to be different so you can copyright your brand, sell it and make money off it.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
I think both mascots are retarded, but Dallas' takes the cake. It has hick written all over it.

so you went from preseason smack to nickname smack to video board smack to logo smack to mascot smack all in the range of the last couple pages. Congrats.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 PM

32 posts, read 43,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
And you what do you expect? For the cowboys to copy the exact flag and put it on their helmet. Lame. You have to be different so you can copyright your brand, sell it and make money off it.
Exactly. It's the same reason DC comics put a yellow oval behind the bat for Batman; because just any silhouette of a black bat is too generic and can't be copyrighted, branded, and sold. The Lone Star for the Dallas Cowboys is no different.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Couldn't pay me enough to live in either city.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ok. Good for you.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:23 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And yet Houston and other Texas cities stay in your mouth

Old 09-05-2013, 12:25 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Uh...if you know your football, the Texans franchise actually started out in...*drum roll please*....DALLAS.

1951-1952 genius.

Houston picked the Texans name not because it sounded cool, but to spite Dallas. They never out & out said it publicly, but just think about it for a second. We certainly kicked your asses last game.

I know one thing the Texans bull logo with Texas colors is way cooler than the grey & blue Deathstar & screams Texas more than the Cowboys logo which isn't even a Cowboy, but rather a logo that has nothing to do with your teams name.
Do you know the people who developed the logo and logotype for the Texans--who worked to sell it to the group who were then called "Houston NFL 2002"--who worked through the original three names presented as selections and presented designs to the team's ownership downtown--who pitched against design and advertising agencies from across the state to win the right to participate in the final design and got a look behind the curtain at the development of the team's brand--who years later were affiliated again with the team, winning the business of promoting ticket sales and building the value of the team's identity not only in Houston, but in markets across Texas?

I do. I'm one of them. And nothing I ever did for the Texans had anything to do with Dallas. The Texans are a proud organization. I wrote their fan creed and all their advertising for 4 years. I met regularly at the team offices, shot video at field level on game day, made TV commercials with the players, set the marketing and messaging strategy with the team's leadership, etc. At no time did the Dallas Cowboys or Dallas, TX enter the conversation. Any more theories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas