Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 05:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,372,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Arlington is definitely a suburb of Fort Worth. Most of Arlington residence commute to Fort Worth for work. Anyone that saids it's a suburb of Dallas doesn't really know much about the Metroplex.
They are all suburbs lol

Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM

420 posts, read 707,134 times
I never said it was a suburb of just Dallas. I said it was a suburb of both, and I stand by that. While Arlington may technically be a suburb of Fort Worth because it's in Tarrant County, people commute to both cities. My job requires me to commute all over North Texas, and rush hour traffic is hell in Arlington going towards both Dallas and Fort Worth. HEB, Grapevine, Colleyville, etc. are all technically Fort Worth suburbs, too, but there are thousands and thousands of people who live in these cities and work in Dallas County. I consider all of these towns to be both Fort Worth and Dallas suburbs.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,031,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
I never said it was a suburb of just Dallas. I said it was a suburb of both, and I stand by that. While Arlington may technically be a suburb of Fort Worth because it's in Tarrant County, people commute to both cities. My job requires me to commute all over North Texas, and rush hour traffic is hell in Arlington going towards both Dallas and Fort Worth. HEB, Grapevine, Colleyville, etc. are all technically Fort Worth suburbs, too, but there are thousands and thousands of people who live in these cities and work in Dallas County. I consider all of these towns to be both Fort Worth and Dallas suburbs.
Do you have memory problems? You flat out said Arlington was a Dallas suburb. No where did you mention Fort Worth.

Page 823 post number 8 for your's & everyone else's reference.

Quote:
Downtown Arlington? What are they going to show, UTA? Arlington is a Dallas suburb. The team is still The "Dallas" Cowboys. There's nothing wrong with showing shots of the Dallas skyline. They have an equal number of overhead shots of the stadium and the surrounding area in Arlington.

It's unfortunate that the development plans around the stadium didn't come to fruition, but plans were shelved because of the recession. Hopefully one day a developer will come along and take that area on.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 PM

420 posts, read 707,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Do you have memory problems? You flat out said Arlington was a Dallas suburb. No where did you mention Fort Worth.

Page 823 post number 8 for your's & everyone else's reference.

Nice try, Matt. That post is out of context and in response to you claiming the media was deceiving the country by showing shots of Dallas during Cowboy games. Perhaps you missed my very next post after you tried to make the ridiculous claim of Arlington being its own major city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes
Arlington is a suburb. I don't care how many people live there. There's nothing urban about the development, and outside of Six Flags, the sports stadiums, and general motors there is nothing separating the town from an oversized bedroom community. Most importantly, the majority of people who live there commute outside of Arlington to work.

And while it's in Tarrant County, it's pretty equal in distance to both cities. I'd be willing to bet there are as many if not more commuters into Dallas County for jobs than Fort Worth and Tarrant County. It's a suburb of both cities. Dallas and Fort Worth are the only major cities in the Metroplex.
Seems like you are the one with memory problems.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,976,983 times
Quote:
Okay, and Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Irving, etc., are all Dallas suburbs, yet people commute into Tarrant County. I worked at Six Flags during one summer in high school and I knew people who came in from DeSoto and Duncanville. Fort Worth holds a third of the metroplex population and has a third of the jobs. There is going to be some overlap in the cities between Fort Worth and Dallas for jobs. That's the appeal of some of these little cities. You can be between the two big ones.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 AM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It's only solidly third if you are looking at things like the value of a franchise. If you are looking at ratings and popularity growth, then the NBA is destroying MLB and it has been that way for years. Going international, the NBA is killing baseball. The NBA and MLB are tied now more than anything and one only rises above the other depending on what you want to look at (franchise value or television ratings).
Ratings yeah because of the Lebron angle. Popularity growth? No. MLB is still more popular than the NBA in the US. Internationally, its a tie. Each sport has their strengths in different places around the world. But that means nothing. Both are more popular than the NFL around the world yet the NFL destroys both domestically.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,454,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Okay, and Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Irving, etc., are all Dallas suburbs, yet people commute into Tarrant County. I worked at Six Flags during one summer in high school and I knew people who came in from DeSoto and Duncanville. Fort Worth holds a third of the metroplex population and has a third of the jobs. There is going to be some overlap in the cities between Fort Worth and Dallas for jobs. That's the appeal of some of these little cities. You can be between the two big ones.

I don't know why you guys are discussing the status of these "suburbs" but to me they are a huge advantage of Dallas over Houston. There are many cities interwoven in the metro area, so you get town centers and you get gridded streets even in the "suburbs". Houston suburbs really are suburbs. They're just sprawls of "master planned communities" which are awful treeless wastelands.

Cypress, NW of Houston, has a population of 123,000 but has no town center, no main street, no nice little gridded neighborhoods, and no government. Heck, it has a VOLUNTEER fire department. It's nothing, just endless poorly designed subdivisions.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't know why you guys are discussing the status of these "suburbs" but to me they are a huge advantage of Dallas over Houston. There are many cities interwoven in the metro area, so you get town centers and you get gridded streets even in the "suburbs". Houston suburbs really are suburbs. They're just sprawls of "master planned communities" which are awful treeless wastelands.

Cypress, NW of Houston, has a population of 123,000 but has no town center, no main street, no nice little gridded neighborhoods, and no government. Heck, it has a VOLUNTEER fire department. It's nothing, just endless poorly designed subdivisions.
I think the biggest advantage of having individual suburbs is that these suburbs have the ability to reinvent themselves. They don't have to wait on the city to revitalize decaying areas.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,031,006 times
Quote:

Houston's suburbs have many times the amount of trees Dallas' have, what are you talking about? Its not even a topic up for debate.

The whole northern side of the metro is like Sherwood Forest in Robin Hood. Spring, Spring Branch, Copperfield, Jersey Village, Klein, Cypress, Champions Forest, Kingwood, Humble, Atascocita, Tomball, The Woodlands...all heavily forested suburbs.

North Texas is a barren wasteland in comparison to Southeast Texas unless you live on the Gulf Coastal Plains of South Houston or the Prairies of far west Houston past Katy. Even Sugar Land has a decent amount of trees.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-01-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 03:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,976,983 times
Quote:

You should look at a map, or at the Harris County thoroughfares plan. Houston and the suburbs are definitely in a grid. There is a bigger grid network in Houston than DFW. The huge unincorporated area that is known as the Katy area is one giant grid. Cypress is just unincorporated area. If you want to say it has a town center,it would be the Premium Outlets. Not every DFW suburb is building a town center. What you get with the many suburbs in dfw is more local city services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas