Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
How can your opinion allow you to say this when actual FACTS say different. "It seems that Neither is as diverse as the City of Houston"...is how you should have WORDED it.
not my opinion. It is fact.

A lot more ethnicities are represented in Houston than in those two. Mo City is largely african american with a huge chunk of Mexican. so about 85% of the population comes from either here or Mehico.

Pearland is largely white with a newly sizeable black population.

Houston has peeps from all over the darn place.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I don't think anybody questions how important Fort Worth is to North Texas. That's a lot different than Houstonians' constant claims that Dallas would be Oklahoma City without Fort Worth, or that Fort Worth is now the economic, cultural, and population center of North Texas. THAT is unabashed arrogance and serious denial. Dallas would still be an economic powerhouse and U.S. top 10 in population without Fort Worth. If anything, the city of Dallas might be even more populated itself because less sprawl would have been encouraged without the tug-of-war between the two cities.
Great way to sum up what I was trying to say before. In real life city and county lines are invisible and this area is one large functioning metroplex. If FW wasn't there who is to say the same people wouldn't want to live in this same area? I would suspect the area would be more densely populated rather than strung out so far to the West. When the "Dallas Side" population estimate of 3 million + was given earlier by a Houston homer of course none of the Tarrant burbs were included which includes Arlington which is home to the Dallas Cowboys, etc. Any way to fudge numbers to make Dallas seem weak and less important. FW is seen as an extra perk to living in the Dallas area rather than a crutch or a necessity to function.

One thing I've noticed recently is that we are told that Dallas has less things to do than Houston because we don't have the beaches that are in Galveston, etc. Galveston is 50+ miles away from downtown Houston, but DT FW is only 30-ish miles from downtown Dallas, but we are two separate areas that happen to be next to each other.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
Oh people of Dallas. MC and Pearland are basically hood of Houston. It's not some burb in the middle of nowhere. People from Pearland say "I'm from Houston"..when they travel. Stop it already. It's like you saying "Plano is where all of Dallas's diversity is"..like you have on this thread so many times. It's part of your immediate metro area.

And the article says Houston Region anyway.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
And to think people from Dallas don't think their growth and economic power would be the same without Ft. Worth is laughable. The reason you're economy is big is because it feeds off the resources, population of Ft. Worth and vice versa. You are both conjoined twins...one is just bigger and more of a bully that the other is all.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Great way to sum up what I was trying to say before. In real life city and county lines are invisible and this area is one large functioning metroplex. If FW wasn't there who is to say the same people wouldn't want to live in this same area? I would suspect the area would be more densely populated rather than strung out so far to the West. When the "Dallas Side" population estimate of 3 million + was given earlier by a Houston homer of course none of the Tarrant burbs were included which includes Arlington which is home to the Dallas Cowboys, etc. Any way to fudge numbers to make Dallas seem weak and less important. FW is seen as an extra perk to living in the Dallas area rather than a crutch or a necessity to function.

One thing I've noticed recently is that we are told that Dallas has less things to do than Houston because we don't have the beaches that are in Galveston, etc. Galveston is 50+ miles away from downtown Houston, but DT FW is only 30-ish miles from downtown Dallas, but we are two separate areas that happen to be next to each other.
Go figure....And they are also soooo quick to say we USE FT.Worth only when we want to pump dallas up but its perfectly ok and sometimes encouraged for Houstonians to use the brown Beaches in Galveston to pump up Houston. And I still dont understand why they say we Use Ft.Worth to pump our metro population numbers up and in fact they also have to use Galveston and surrounding areas to even get the number 6th spot....Just imagine if it really was JUST houston like they claim...they wouldn't even be in the top 10.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Dallas would still be an economic powerhouse and U.S. top 10 in population without Fort Worth. If anything, the city of Dallas might be even more populated itself because less sprawl would have been encouraged without the tug-of-war between the two cities.
That is a bit wrong. at 4,2M the Dallas Plano Irving Metropolitan division would rank 12 in the nation after

1. NY
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Phily
6. DC
7. Miami
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. San Fran- 4.335M
11. Detroit- 4.296M
12. Dallas- 4.235M

sources:
metros in Texas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pulation_(2000)
Metros in the US: Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

without fort worth, the 5 largest cities and metros in the country line up perfectly

FW should dump y'all asses and secede

Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That is a bit wrong. at 4,2M the Dallas Plano Irving Metropolitan division would rank 12 in the nation after

1. NY
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Phily
6. DC
7. Miami
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. San Fran- 4.335M
11. Detroit- 4.296M
12. Dallas- 4.235M

sources:
metros in Texas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pulation_(2000)
Metros in the US: Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

without fort worth, the 5 largest cities and metros in the country line up perfectly

FW should dump y'all asses and secede
I think the point coming from Dallas that the Houston folks are failing to see is that as it is now the metro division for Dallas is 4 million + but if in fact FW wasn't there then those burbs that the census put on the FW side which are Dallas burbs already anyway would be included in Dallas and are not shown in these figures. Do you really think Arlington or Grapevine wouldn't be a burb of Dallas?

What makes you think that the people in FW wouldn't live closer to Dallas if the option of living in FW didn't exist in a magical land.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I think the point coming from Dallas that the Houston folks are failing to see is that as it is now the metro division for Dallas is 4 million + but if in fact FW wasn't there then those burbs that the census put on the FW side which are Dallas burbs already anyway would be included in Dallas and are not shown in these figures. Do you really think Arlington or Grapevine wouldn't be a burb of Dallas?

What makes you think that the people in FW wouldn't live closer to Dallas if the option of living in FW didn't exist in a magical land.
nah, if it wasn''t for FW the Dallas area would not have gain that huge regional airport. Love would just be upgraded. The lack of the huge airport would not have spured growth of the mid cities. and thus the area would be smaller.

also without FW there would have been less RR connections in the area, less trade, and thus Dallas would have been closer in size to SA on metro area.

It would not have all those huge shipping income because it would lack the airport and the rails. It would not have gotten those large corporate relocations, the Federal reserve would have gone to New Orleans, etc etc etc.

You have to realize that even though the things were placed in Dallas, Dallas DID get them because it was a regional pull.

cities don't get regional so and so's by themselves. Large cities and smaller ones that form a large region gets things.

so lots of the things that made DFW big would not have occurred with one city only.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:

And if you look at any map of dfw..all of the Ft.Worth suburbs(and FTW)seem to gravitate to the east...its funny how even Ft.Worth has an arm in its city limits that reaches waaaaay over to the Dallas county line.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM

343 posts, read 804,883 times
This is absolutely ridiculous. This lack of Fort Worth is one of the most far fetched hypotheticals and there is no way anyone can assume how Dallas would have developed without it because it would be a totally different metroplex. We CANNOT predict population or jobs or about airports because there is simply no way of knowing. Hundreds of years of development would have happened differently. Of course I believe Dallas could of grown into a powerhouse as its own but we can't tell.

There is no denying in my opinion that Houston is more powerful as a city (but its almost twice the size and has a million more people). But city limits matter less and less these days and honestly DFW is what it is so I think we should go back to arguing the actual merits of these two great areas

ALSO, congrats Houston to the diversity numbers I dont think anyone in Dallas ever claimed we were more diverse but I am proud of both regions because they are diversifying rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas