Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
What does Houston have that Dallas doesn't? (please don't mention something that we already know)
Tall trees and tropical foliage. Is not landlocked.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It's all a matter of opinion. For me, shopping in Dallas is indeed FAR better. YMMV.
Not according to the latest Forbes list, which most posters will take as a grain of salt anyways.

America's 25 Best Cities For Shopping - No. 1: Houston, Texas - Forbes.com

Dallas ranks 2nd place.

"Move over New York. When it comes to shopping, everything’s bigger in Texas. Forbes’ first-ever ranking of the best U.S. cities for shopping takes a look at the real numbers behind what makes retail sparkle in the 25 biggest cities in America. One look at the top 10 shows that NYC, long thought to be the best city for style, sophistication and putting your pocketbook to work, is nowhere to be found."

"Houston comes in at No. 1 on the list. “Houston might be a big city, and sure you can spend days buying up the shopping malls, but for me the best thing has always been the boutiques that are somehow both 100% Southern and completely chic,” says stylist Kate Barash, a Houston native now living in Los Angeles."

"Barash, who describes her own fashion sense as “date night feisty,” shares her two favorite Houston stops for shopping: 310 Rosemont (1965 W. Gray Ave.), where she stocks up on jeans from trendy 1921 and Seven For All Mankind and also scores pieces from Milly and James *****; and Lot 8 (6127 Kirby Drive), where she finds “the best L.A. designers without the Los Angeles inflated prices.”

"If one-stop shopping is more your style than hunting for boutiques in humid Houston, take a drive to Texas’s biggest mall, the Galleria, which boasts 2.5 million square feet of retail pleasure."

"Dallas, No. 2, is dwarfed by its southern cousin in shopping malls at only 28 locations according to Esri, but its over 16,000 retail stores in the city more than compensate. Like Houston, a Galleria mall is the epicenter of retail in the city, but Barash describes Dallas as “more urban,” and its shopping style follows suit. Dallas (200.227) also has a higher price index than Houston (195.165), knocking it down a few rungs from the top position."

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-26-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Oh wow the Gulf is bigger. You only can use a small portion of it. There's a certain distance you can go. In a lake you can use the whole thing. You see boats everywhere. BTW I hate the ocean water.
Lake Conroe and Lake Houston. We don't have to build tons of fake lakes because we're located near the gulf.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Ocean + 2 or 3 Good Size Lakes > The 9 Main Lakes in D/FW Combined

Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 PM

328 posts, read 471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not according to the latest Forbes list, which most posters will take as a grain of salt anyways.

Dallas ranks 2nd place.

"Move over New York. When it comes to shopping, everything’s bigger in Texas. Forbes’ first-ever ranking of the best U.S. cities for shopping takes a look at the real numbers behind what makes retail sparkle in the 25 biggest cities in America. One look at the top 10 shows that NYC, long thought to be the best city for style, sophistication and putting your pocketbook to work, is nowhere to be found."

"Houston comes in at No. 1 on the list. “Houston might be a big city, and sure you can spend days buying up the shopping malls, but for me the best thing has always been the boutiques that are somehow both 100% Southern and completely chic,” says stylist Kate Barash, a Houston native now living in Los Angeles."

"Barash, who describes her own fashion sense as “date night feisty,” shares her two favorite Houston stops for shopping: 310 Rosemont (1965 W. Gray Ave.), where she stocks up on jeans from trendy 1921 and Seven For All Mankind and also scores pieces from Milly and James *****; and Lot 8 (6127 Kirby Drive), where she finds “the best L.A. designers without the Los Angeles inflated prices.”

"If one-stop shopping is more your style than hunting for boutiques in humid Houston, take a drive to Texas’s biggest mall, the Galleria, which boasts 2.5 million square feet of retail pleasure."

"Dallas, No. 2, is dwarfed by its southern cousin in shopping malls at only 28 locations according to Esri, but its over 16,000 retail stores in the city more than compensate. Like Houston, a Galleria mall is the epicenter of retail in the city, but Barash describes Dallas as “more urban,” and its shopping style follows suit. Dallas (200.227) also has a higher price index than Houston (195.165), knocking it down a few rungs from the top position."
Dallasites like to cherry-pick survey sites almost as much as Houstonians do, but this statement alone is enough to disqualify this "survey" as meaningless:

<One look at the top 10 shows that NYC, long thought to be the best city for style, sophistication and putting your pocketbook to work, is nowhere to be found.>

#3 is Baltimore? #4 is Columbus? #5 is Indianapolis? Did they overlook Hooterville? New York City is not even in the top 10? Even the most ardent Houston homer must admit that a list of shopping destinations that omits NYC is questionable. A "higher price index" knocked Dallas down a rung or two? So more Target and Family Dollar Stores means better shopping?

Forbes should stick to their richest 400, even though I'm beginning to suspect that list now.

Even MM telegraphed that this survey couldn't convince all twelve jurors.

"...which most posters will take as a grain of salt anyways."

Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM

343 posts, read 805,486 times
Yeah come on Dallas has better shopping thats a pretty well established fact. Its one thing, get over it. I don't even care about shopping but I mean this is pretty common knowledge, although there isnt much difference between the two for the average shopper

Old 09-26-2011, 05:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Yeah come on Dallas has better shopping thats a pretty well established fact. Its one thing, get over it. I don't even care about shopping but I mean this is pretty common knowledge, although there isnt much difference between the two for the average shopper
like I said before, Blkiraffe called out nairobi for exagerrating he didn't necesaarily disagree but Nairobi was describing it as being far better, which is exagerating.

This is what Nairobi said:

Quote:
shopping is far better up there

Quote:
Actually, I said it was "far" better in my opinion, and I stand by that statement. If there's only one thing that Dallas trumps Houston in, it's shopping.
you never included in your opinion, but anyway, it does not make a difference, these things are always opinions, but there is no law saying people can't have exaggerated opinions.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
D/FW has more shopping centers per capita than any other US metro. Fact.

More is not always better...especially when its a bunch of stale indoor suburban malls & fugly outdoor strip centers.

Houston has just as many high end stores as Dallas does minus a new el cheapo low quality clothes H&M store.

I walked by the Gucci store in Northpark a few weeks ago & guess what...it was CLOSED when the rest of the mall & stores were open.

This tells me people aren't buying enough high end stuff in Dallas if they have to close their doors earlier than the rest of the mall.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Dallas ranks 2nd place.

Well, Forbes is welcome to say whatever they like, but as you say, these things should be taken with a grain of salt.

I still mantain that Dallas is the better shopping city.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
They're not letting it go. Like I said, they'll pick the opinions that suit them. Had I said that Houston had far better shopping, they would've kept their mouths shut.

I swear they embarrass Houston with such pathetic behavior. Poor kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas