Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 11:39 PM

717 posts, read 899,296 times

Advertisements

....except its not, but okay.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMan015 View Post
So true

Thanks. But yeah like I said, its all true. I dont know how any informed person can claim that the fact that most of the lower south used to be submerged in water is not true. But I guess... Anywho, the peidmont is ok. For what its worth, I dont think east texas is abundantly picturesque either. They are equally nice looking, but thats about it. Ill be back through the peidmont in a couple of weeks...yawn..lol

Last edited by solytaire; 07-11-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Well no. Like I was telling Matt before, the Piedmont region including Atlanta is far more than just pines and poplars. About half of the forestation is composed of other hardwoods like maples, oaks, ash, magnolia, elm, sweetgum, etc. These are definitely viisble in the autumn with the abundant fall foliage. And you say you've been to Georgia? Hmm.

And yes, coastal plain vegetation does differ from upland areas.

And I'm sorry, but I can't imagine anyone finding East Texas beautiful but somehow not being impressed with the Piedmont.
Yup, been through it several times now. Georgia included - Ill be going back through there in a couple of weeks too. Like I said, not ugly, but nothing too spectacular either. Obviously there are going to be an assortment of trees in any region, but again, the peidmont is by far and away dominated by pines and poplars. So much so the other kinds of trees arent even apparent most times. I do remember going through Bennetville, SC on my way to Georgia though, and it looks exactly like anywhere in East Texas, so apparently it sits in the Atlantic coastal plain.

And no, coastal plain vegetation does not necessarily differ from "upland areas". (Just as Bennettville wasnt strikingly different looking from rural areas around Atlanta.) But whatever, you think it does, I think it doesnt. I realize that experiences may vary so believe what you want to believe.

Last edited by solytaire; 07-11-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yup, been through it several times now. Georgia included - Ill be going back through there in a couple of weeks too. Like I said, not ugly, but nothing too spectacular either. Obviously there are going to be an assortment of trees in any region, but again, the peidmont is by far and away dominated by pines and poplars. So much so the other kinds of trees arent even apparent most times. I do remember going through Bennetville, SC on my way to Georgia though, and it looks exactly like anywhere in East Texas, so apparently it sits in the Atlantic coastal plain.

And no, coastal plain vegetation does not necessarily differ from "upland areas". (Just as Bennettville wasnt strikingly different looking from rural areas around Atlanta.) But whatever, you think it does, I think it doesnt. I realize that experiences may vary so believe what you want to believe.
This is not my opinion it's a fact. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Beauty is subjective, but you're honestly the first person I've ever heard say the Piedmont wasn't that beautiful, and you're definitely in the minority. But it seems like you're avoiding having to admit that specific part of Georgia is greener than East Texas. This doesn't surprise me coming from a Texan, unfortunately. I'm having doubts about your experience in Georgia because your alleged observations don't really add up. Just pines and poplars? Sure...if you never got off the freeway. There are so many parts of Atlanta where there are hardly any pines at all.

I also never said it wasn't true that the lower south was not under water. I was talking about the rest of your post.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The northern region uplands are dominated by pine, originally Longleaf and Slash in the south and Shortleaf mixed with hardwoods in the north. These are wildfire-maintained systems that give way to Loblolly Pine and hardwoods in damper areas and bottomland hardwood forest in extensive lowland drainages. The southern region has tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests and western Gulf coastal grasslands. They include large habitats of freshwater wetlands, salt marshes, and coastal mangrove swamps.[2] Much of the lower elevation Gulf Coastal Plains supports wintering waterfowl.
Gulf Coastal Plain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I was telling Trae713, because it sits on a coastal plain, East Texas will be most similar to the coastal plain areas of Georgia, not the Piedmont, which definitely seems to be more densely populated with taller trees.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 AM

6,696 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Ok. I'm tired of talking about trees and land geography.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Oh yea. They are going to make a new Dallas TV show.

YouTube - ‪Dallas 2012 First Look | NEW DALLAS SHOW (TNT) [HD]‬‏

Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ugh, still keeping up with those Texas stereotypes.

Ya'll think this will be a hit or a miss??? Dallas has a huge cult following; it could work. I told mama giraffe about this and she was excited.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 07-12-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

Ya'll think this will be a hit or a miss??? Dallas has a huge cult following; it could word. I told mama giraffe about this and she was excited.
I think this show will be a success. I heard the show will focus on a modern Dallas. I hope this is true. (I hate Texas Stereotypes!)

Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

Ya'll think this will be a hit or a miss??? Dallas has a huge cult following; it could word. I told mama giraffe about this and she was excited.
Considering we have much more entertainment options nowadays, it won't be nearly as successful as the first one, but I think the TNT version will still have good ratings (in line with the other successful TNT dramas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas