Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM

6,793 posts, read 10,067,683 times

Advertisements

Great Trinity Forest in Dallas

There's a coyote in the right corner of the picture

Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,364,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Great Trinity Forest in Dallas

There's a coyote in the right corner of the picture

I love that last picture.

Did you take these???

Old 07-12-2011, 01:30 PM

717 posts, read 904,979 times
didn't someone just say they were sick of talking about trees?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
didn't someone just say they were sick of talking about trees?
Yea. I was bored so I posted these pictures! LOL

Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I love that last picture.

Did you take these???
Nope.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM

More pics of The Great Trinity Forest

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9888/rochester3a.jpg (broken link)

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8991/mcc9a.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-12-2011, 03:01 PM

3,215 posts, read 6,000,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
This is not my opinion it's a fact. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Beauty is subjective, but you're honestly the first person I've ever heard say the Piedmont wasn't that beautiful, and you're definitely in the minority. But it seems like you're avoiding having to admit that specific part of Georgia is greener than East Texas. This doesn't surprise me coming from a Texan, unfortunately. I'm having doubts about your experience in Georgia because your alleged observations don't really add up. Just pines and poplars? Sure...if you never got off the freeway. There are so many parts of Atlanta where there are hardly any pines at all.

I also never said it wasn't true that the lower south was not under water. I was talking about the rest of your post.
There's a shocker eh? You have doubts about my experiences? I wouldve never guessed. lol But seriously, Im the first to do a lot of things so like I said, if you disagree, you disagree. I have doubts about your experiences in the Peidmont as well but Im sure you have confidence in what you have experienced. Truthfully, there is nothing to admit. I have traveled the entire south and have been to areas outside the south far greener than anything Atlanta or East Texas has to offer. I just dont think the peidmont is all that impressive at all. I never said it was ugly, but pardon me if Im not panting and drooling over its terrain. Its not bad, it just is. But Im glad we can come to some common ground here -- it seems to me as though you are avoiding having to admit that the peidmont isnt a mountainous tropical oasis either. Which doesnt surprise me coming from a piedmont fanatic.

Obviously I dont disagree that East Texas sits on a coastal plain while Atlanta sits in the Peidmont. But it just seems as though you're saying that the two have wildly different elevations and vegetation, a point with which I must disagree. The peidmont is not even really a highland area altogether. Its not a completely different biome like it sits at an overwhelmingly different elevation from a place like East Texas. Peidmont simply refers to the fact that there are small hills in the region. Its really just the gently elevating transition zone from the Atlantic coastal plain, to the full on mountain ranges further Northwest.

Its just not a drastic enough difference in elevation to show any measurable difference in climate nor vegetation. Not by geological and geographical terms anyway; which is why, in the grand scheme of geology and geography, they are usually included in the same vegetation and temperate zones. Just as there is no extreme shift in climate and vegetation between Bennettville (which sits on a coastal plain) and Atlanta, there is no great shift between East Texas (which sits on a coastal plain) and Arkansas/Southeast Oklahoma. Both the Atlantic coastal plains and the Gulf Coastal plains graduate into the Smoky Mountains/Appalacia and the Quachita/Ozark Mountains respectively. The peidmont is nothing more than the slight transition in elevation that occurs in that graduation.

There are even variances of vegetation just within the Peidmont itself. For instance Raleigh, has a good deal more tall trees and is more dominated by pines than Atlanta is. So the mere fact that two areas sit in the same elevation zone doesnt necessarily mean that they will both share the same characteristics, just as being at slightly different elevations doesnt mean that two areas will be worlds apart. Sure one can split hairs over a leaf here or a hill there, but at the end of the day, Atlanta still sits in the same biome as East Texas. Like I said, if we disagree, we disagree. But no real geologist would make many significant distinctions between the two.

Last edited by solytaire; 07-12-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,403 times
Dallas is not the same as it used to be anymore. The city was fairly affluent with middle income residents that kept money flowing into several communities and pretty good nighborhoods and school. But ,all of that changed when the out of state people from everywhere started moving into Dallas.Some of these out of staters do not have any skills , no education , or any incomes to help supplement or generate the economy. Low income , undereducated Hispanic majority making low wages , plenty of high crime, no jobs, high poverty levels and underperforming schools. Other ethnic minorities as well as whites are also fleeing Dallas because of the corrupt city government ruining the city's budget money , thus attributing to forcing citizens to pay for their wrongful mistakes. Take a city that only grew under 9,000 between the years 2000 and 2010 and then you will understand why no one wants to move to Dallas anymore. The Mavs and the Cowboys are fantastic teams, but still their city is the pits. It is worst than the average hellhole nowadays. Deep Ellum went downhills in 2005 and the West End closed the shops and most of the clubs. There nothing in Dallas . It is boring , there is also nothing to do in this town. Most of the people who i've known left this place and never looked back.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM

717 posts, read 904,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
There's a shocker eh? You have doubts about my experiences? I wouldve never guessed. lol But seriously, Im the first to do a lot of things so like I said, if you disagree, you disagree. I have doubts about your experiences in the Peidmont as well but Im sure you have confidence in what you have experienced. Truthfully, there is nothing to admit. I have traveled the entire south and have been to areas outside the south far greener than anything Atlanta or East Texas has to offer. I just dont think the peidmont is all that impressive at all. I never said it was ugly, but pardon me if Im not panting and drooling over its terrain. Its not bad, it just is. But Im glad we can come to some common ground here -- it seems to me as though you are avoiding having to admit that the peidmont isnt a mountainous tropical oasis either. Which doesnt surprise me coming from a piedmont fanatic.

Obviously I dont disagree that East Texas sits on a coastal plain while Atlanta sits in the Peidmont. But it just seems as though you're saying that the two have wildly different elevations and vegetation, a point with which I must disagree. The peidmont is not even really a highland area altogether. Its not a completely different biome like it sits at an overwhelmingly different elevation from a place like East Texas. Peidmont simply refers to the fact that there are small hills in the region. Its really just the gently elevating transition zone from the Atlantic coastal plain, to the full on mountain ranges further Northwest.

Its just not a drastic enough difference in elevation to show any measurable difference in climate nor vegetation. Not by geological and geographical terms anyway; which is why, in the grand scheme of geology and geography, they are usually included in the same vegetation and temperate zones. Just as there is no extreme shift in climate and vegetation between Bennettville (which sits on a coastal plain) and Atlanta, there is no great shift between East Texas (which sits on a coastal plain) and Arkansas/Southeast Oklahoma. Both the Atlantic coastal plains and the Gulf Coastal plains graduate into the Smoky Mountains/Appalacia and the Quachita/Ozark Mountains respectively. The peidmont is nothing more than the slight transition in elevation that occurs in that graduation.

There are even variances of vegetation just within the Peidmont itself. For instance Raleigh, has a good deal more tall trees and is more dominated by pines than Atlanta is. So the mere fact that two areas sit in the same elevation zone doesnt necessarily mean that they will both share the same characteristics, just as being at slightly different elevations doesnt mean that two areas will be worlds apart. Sure one can split hairs over a leaf here or a hill there, but at the end of the day, Atlanta still sits in the same biome as East Texas. Like I said, if we disagree, we disagree. But no real geologist would make many significant distinctions between the two.

All that and you still don't get it. I'm glad you took the time to make an effort to prove me wrong, but pay close attention

I never said that the differences were worlds apart. Nothing like dramatic changes in the elements out west in states like California and Oregon, or even Hawaii. What I was saying is that there IS a change between the different areas, and YES, there is different vegetation. Atlanta isn't on a mountain top compared to East Texas, no, but it's mean elevation is greater than 1,000 feet. That's not exactly low-lying. It's located in a completely different ecoregion, with different weather, hundreds of miles away from the East Texas area, so you couldn't honestly believe that the two areas would look the same. Coastal plain vegetation does differ from the inland areas (in some areas more than others). Your own map supports that fact. There's enough of a change that it makes a noticeable difference in the scenery. That is the only point I was trying to make that you were so desperately trying to disprove. Which you haven't.

In fact, now you're admitting that there is some change in the vegetation, when just earlier you were suggesting that it was my mere opinion that you chose to disagree with.

What I do know is that your observational descriptions of the Piedmont would welcome a few laughs from most people who know the area well. But if you'd rather agree to disagree, then I guess I have no choice.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:56 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,800,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankinreggie View Post
Dallas is not the same as it used to be anymore. The city was fairly affluent with middle income residents that kept money flowing into several communities and pretty good nighborhoods and school. But ,all of that changed when the out of state people from everywhere started moving into Dallas.Some of these out of staters do not have any skills , no education , or any incomes to help supplement or generate the economy. Low income , undereducated Hispanic majority making low wages , plenty of high crime, no jobs, high poverty levels and underperforming schools. Other ethnic minorities as well as whites are also fleeing Dallas because of the corrupt city government ruining the city's budget money , thus attributing to forcing citizens to pay for their wrongful mistakes. Take a city that only grew under 9,000 between the years 2000 and 2010 and then you will understand why no one wants to move to Dallas anymore. The Mavs and the Cowboys are fantastic teams, but still their city is the pits. It is worst than the average hellhole nowadays. Deep Ellum went downhills in 2005 and the West End closed the shops and most of the clubs. There nothing in Dallas . It is boring , there is also nothing to do in this town. Most of the people who i've known left this place and never looked back.
Well maybe Dallas would be "better" if you and all the grand people you know wouldn't desert it. Dallas is not alone in the stagnating growth, it happens to all cities when they develop most of their land. Look at Chicago, San Fran, and just about every cities urban downtown center. They are growing much slower that suburbs and exurbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas