Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 PM

6,726 posts, read 9,975,081 times

Advertisements

Do y'all find it strange that we are in a very bad drought and parts of Texas had temps above 100 for weeks. I think God is trying to tell us something LOL!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,997,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Do y'all find it strange that we are in a very bad drought and parts of Texas had temps above 100 for weeks. I think God is trying to tell us something LOL!
If I were you, I would say yes, speak, Lord. Speak to me.
Oh, Speak, Lord. Won't you speak to me?
I was so blind, I was so lost until you spoke to me
Oh, speak, Lord. Speak, Lord. And hear my mind,
Oh, with your word, heal my soul
Oh, speak, Lord. Speak to me. Speak, my Lord.
I love you, Lord. Save my soul

Can't sleep at night and you wonder why
Maybe God is trying to tell you something
Crying all night long, something's gone wrong

Oh, you can't sleep at night and you sure wonder why
Maybe god is trying to tell you something

‪God is trying to tell you somethin(The Color Purple)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,811,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If I were you, I would say yes, speak, Lord. Speak to me.
Oh, Speak, Lord. Won't you speak to me?
I was so blind, I was so lost until you spoke to me
Oh, speak, Lord. Speak, Lord. And hear my mind,
Oh, with your word, heal my soul
Oh, speak, Lord. Speak to me. Speak, my Lord.
I love you, Lord. Save my soul

Can't sleep at night and you wonder why
Crying all night long, something's gone wrong

Oh, you can't sleep at night and you sure wonder why
Maybe god is trying to tell you something

‪God is trying to tell you somethin(The Color Purple)‬‏ - YouTube
Yeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM

882 posts, read 2,248,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Well, for the first three it was jobs. Lower costs of living and available land made all four grow. I think Atlanta was the biggest joker this past decade. I think the growth there is going to be significantly slower this coming decade. Atlanta is going to plateau, IMO. DFW should remain the same. Houston will be more, I think. It's industries are more sustainable and worldly. DFW is a great American metro. Atlanta is a great American metro. Houston's industries are propelling it to not only be a great American metro area, but also a global city. Interesting how DFW and Atlanta were outpacing Houston for growth when looking at the estimates, but when the actual real counts came back, Houston was first in growth. Less speculation building down in Houston.
Those very global industries are what makes Houston's economy much more dynamic in my opinion, and thus, more subject to peaking and slowing down than DFW. Reading, the Houston Buissiness Journal, and I see Houston actually receiving more negative economic news relative to Dallas/Ft. Worth, and even Austin. But then, there are instances which place Houston at the top in the nation for so and so ecomically. Additionally, Houston needs to have better priorities, planning for an unecessary third outerbelt before we even have decent rail transit...

Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Those very global industries are what makes Houston's economy much more dynamic in my opinion, and thus, more subject to peaking and slowing down than DFW. Reading, the Houston Buissiness Journal, and I see Houston actually receiving more negative economic news relative to Dallas/Ft. Worth, and even Austin. But then, there are instances which place Houston at the top in the nation for so and so ecomically. Additionally, Houston needs to have better priorities, planning for an unecessary third outerbelt before we even have decent rail transit...
why would that be a better priority. The outer belt is needed IN AREAS, the better transit would enhance the city, but it is not needed.

besides, why can't we have both???

Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,973,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Even though rail transit is currently under expansion? I think the trip to Dallas got to your head. Your high will come down.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,599,650 times
Quote:
Even though rail transit is currently under expansion? I think the trip to Dallas got to your head. Your high will come down.
Speaking of rail? Are they on schedule? What's up with the university line? I thought Houston was suppose to get a huge grant this month.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,973,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Speaking of rail? Are they on schedule? What's up with the university line? I thought Houston was suppose to get a huge grant this month.
They are laying the rails for the Green Line. Don't know what's up with the University Line funding, and with this debt ceiling/deficit talk, I doubt Metro will be getting the money. Really wish the Houstonians back in the 80s were more forward thinking as far as rail goes. Should have never voted down the heavy rail proposal. I wonder how many regret it today.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
They are laying the rails for the Green Line. Don't know what's up with the University Line funding, and with this debt ceiling/deficit talk, I doubt Metro will be getting the money. Really wish the Houstonians back in the 80s were more forward thinking as far as rail goes. Should have never voted down the heavy rail proposal. I wonder how many regret it today.

Houston was a much different place in the 80's. Look at how much or economy was dependent on oil in the 80, and remember we suffered a major crash then. Who knows what the politicians were telling residents back then. They probably went around telling people rail was just another death nail in the coffin of Houston's economy and the rail would mean more loss of jobs etc.

People think Houston metro is growing quickly now, but it was even quicker back in the 80s. In fact Houston's best growth year was about 1982 or 83. Houston has not seen the number of people moving into the metro since then. Houston went from having positive migration growth of almost 200K a year to negative growth in the 80s.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,025,526 times
I'd like to see passenger rail from Houston to Galveston. I know its been talked about before & there used to be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas