Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 01:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Have you been to Fair Park lately? They are completely restoring the historic art deco buildings.
When I last went; it had interesting buildings and nice architecture, but I wouldn't call it beautiful.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:05 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
When I last went; it had interesting buildings and nice architecture, but I wouldn't call it beautiful.
Well, I think it's beautiful. You really need to see the esplanade.

Espanansa @ Fair Park - YouTube

Esplanade Fountain_Dallas Fair Park "Hoe Down" in HD Pro Video - YouTube

Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 PM

343 posts, read 805,486 times
This is embarrassing. The State Fair of Dallas is not a "small town" thing whatsoever. The Texas state fair is the LARGEST in the country and its incredibly fun and great for the city. I've met people from all over who come to it. Plus we have the largest Ferris Wheel in the country. It's a great, Texan cultural experience. I haven't heard anyone talk down about it except you HTown. To me, its a testament to our state in my opinion. We are proud, like to have fun, and of course everything is bigger here.
Why is it so tough to admit when dallas does something better? I've been to the Houston Rodeo and its very fun, better than any in DFW, but Fort Worth was almost as fun to me so we have options. Mesquite was good too. Houston has nothing on the league of the fair.

Some of the fairs are in very nice cities. Of course, Dallas and Phoenix are the largest on there, but still: WASHINGTON DC, Tampa, the Twin Cities, Knoxville, Memphis, Nashville, Oklahoma City, Columbus, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Albuquerque, etc. I mean come on... these are by no means small towns. Dallas obviously does a good job because our attendance is almost 3X more than any other in the country. And Fair Park is beautiful. I rode the DART Train to it today (cant do that in Houston- and dont whine about our ridership figures blah blah blah, at least I have that option!) and went to some museums. Very nice. Collectively it has the largest collection of Art Deco buildings in the country and has interesting museums that hold great community events.

Dallas is becoming a really dynamic city. Like I just said, I rode the DART all over town and was stunned about how full it was at 1 PM on a Saturday (standing room only on the Red Line) I may post a pic I took later. In downtown, there were people out and about enjoying the nice weather, and things are only improving. Still would love to see more street life, but I was really surprised how lively the west end was downtown along with Main Street. There was a great vibe the whole time and i was really impressed because I had not been on the DART in awhile. And it really brings you to a lot of Dallas' best museums, restaurants, hospitals, etc so I have no problem with its "commuter layout"

And did you like delete Fort Worth from the rodeo page on wikipedia? It wasnt listed under the Texas section and of course it should be. We have 2 great rodeo options in the area, Mesquite and Fort Worth. So what if they arent centralized in Dallas because they are both good options like I said earlier. The Fort Worth one is the longest running rodeo in the country.

By the way our state fair has over 800,000 more visitors yearly than your rodeo
And even though ours is 5 days longer, we still have almost 10000 more visitors daily

Plus nearly 1,000,000 people still go to the Fort Worth Rodeo so its not like we are doing too bad in that department either

Dallas is great. Sure Houston is imposing, has that big city vibe, and a better core, but Dallas will always be superior to me no doubt. If you want me to elaborate, let me know, because unlike some other posters in here cough *Htown* cough, I try not to make sweeping generalizations in comments without looking at both sides and giving houston the large amount of credit it deserves

Last edited by nakold23; 09-24-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 05:03 PM

328 posts, read 471,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This goes to show you can never trust Wikipedia as a reliable source of information.

"Eye Witness News" & Marvin Zindler are both Houston trademarks. He is most famous for single handily shutting down the infamous Chicken Ranch in LaGrange, Texas. They even made a Broadway play about it entitled Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

Marvin's trademark White suits, white hair piece, blue lense glasses, & flamboyant voice made him a local celebrity. Even the Bush's were close to him. George W. personally honored Zindler at the Whitehouse for his humanitarian work.

The Dallas-Fort Worth area has always been known as a television market that emphasizes hard news and investigative journalism, as opposed to the "it bleeds, it leads" brand of tabloid news employed by the other market, which prides itself on the "Eyewitness" formula of murder, fires, traffic accidents, and "rat and roach reports."

I wrote the above myself.

Me again: Notwithstanding the "legend" status of the late Marvin Zindler on the hometown stage (a big fish in a little pond, as it were), I've been to Houston a dozen times in the last five years or so, and the TV news is a joke. BTW, I had a very fine time during each visit. You have some incredible restaurants.

But the TV news is bad. I always make a game out of it when I visit my buddy who lives there. We turn on the 10 o'clock news and I count the number of stories involving murder, car wrecks, fires, muggings, child abduction, robberies, and other crimes. I change to another channel, and same thing. Third channel, repeat.

I make no generalization on the crime rate in Houston. My comments are related solely to the sensationalism ("Breaking News!" "This just in!") that seems to pass for television news in Houston.

I even stumbled on a thread on the subject here on c-d just now.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...ionalized.html

I don't think all TV news in Dallas is great. On the contrary, there are too many "health" segments that are thinly veiled free advertisements, stories on spas and beauty treatments, and others on how products we have in our homes are killing us. But these are mostly confined to the morning and early afternoon programs. At six and ten we get serious.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
The State Fair of Dallas is not a "small town" thing whatsoever.
never said that it was. I said fairs in general are.

Dallas should have passed the Baton to FW and then to another city years ago.

Never said that The fair was small, said they are small town affairs.

It is really embarrassing that the biggest thing in Dallas is Big Tex and his fair. LOL

Old 09-24-2011, 06:44 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
I think ours is a LITTLE bigger
i know i may be a little late on this comment, but who cares if Herman Park's lake is smaller than White Rock Lake? Houston has enough larger lakes around and the Gulf Right in its backyard, Nassau Bay and more.

Dallasites love to use White Rock Lake to say its a lake smack in the middle of the city. The point is, Herman Park has an urban lake and basically fits the same purposes of it being in the middle of the city.

Now i'm talking to all Dallasites (most notibly the one who called Herman Park lake a pond) Sure it may not be as large, but lets not act like WR lake is downtown, because it's not.

stoneclaw/C2H

Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You make someone hate Houston because of your comments. You're not helping Houston at all, you're making it worse. Please stop................(I'm so serious right now)
I agree with that. I left Houston with a very positive opinion but coming on here it has slightly turned me off of the city.

I would like to know if he thinks Dallas excells at anything at all or if it is subpar in every category (which in reality is not true).

Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I agree with that. I left Houston with a very positive opinion but coming on here it has slightly turned me off of the city.
There's no real good reason to feel that way, though. This forum is full of boosters and bashers. In real life, most Houstonians are very cool and humble people who could care less about half of this stuff.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I would like to know if he thinks Dallas excells at anything at all or if it is subpar in every category (which in reality is not true).
I already said your buildings look nice at night. What else do you need?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:46 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
i know i may be a little late on this comment, but who cares if Herman Park's lake is smaller than White Rock Lake? Houston has enough larger lakes around and the Gulf Right in its backyard, Nassau Bay and more.

Dallasites love to use White Rock Lake to say its a lake smack in the middle of the city. The point is, Herman Park has an urban lake and basically fits the same purposes of it being in the middle of the city.

Now i'm talking to all Dallasites (most notibly the one who called Herman Park lake a pond) Sure it may not be as large, but lets not act like WR lake is downtown, because it's not.

stoneclaw/C2H
The largest lake in Dallas is Lake Ray Hubbard. It's 35.5 sq mi. It's not connected to Dallas but the lake is incorporated into the Dallas City Limits. You have to go through the suburbs to get to the lake. Everything that's within the lake including the Interstate 30 Causeway is within the jurisdiction of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas