Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 AM

563 posts, read 910,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Bottom line is Dallasites love Houston and Houstonians secretly love Dallas.....weather we admit it or not.

Old reference:Where do Texans like to travel? Texas! - USATODAY.com
Hey, you're not going to here me deny it.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
I don't think "Houston" and "lively" can ever be used in the same sentence.
Really? How odd.

Forbes names Houston coolest city to live - Houston Business Journal
"[The methodology] considered the number of entertainment options per capita in each metro area, amount of green space, the cost and number of outdoor activities available and the number of pro and college sports teams. Also a factor were restaurants and bars per capital, excluding chains, and diversity of population."

Houston Tops Our List Of America's Coolest Cities - Forbes

Houston ranks third in tourism jobs - Houston Business Journal

Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Default Houstons refineries

To whom it may concern:

I have been reading these Hou v Dal threads for a while (perhaps too long) and have read a lot of jabs at the refineries along the Houston ship Channel. First let me say I am originally from Pasadena Texas which is sometimes refered to as Pasa-get-down-dena and sometime not so affectionatly as Stinkadena. I have heard these types of comments all my life and I wonder if the people making them realize where the world would be without a way to refine oil? Oil, which is what the Texas economy was built on would be utterly useless without a way to refine it into the various componets that petroleum distilation produces.

It used to be that I heard people in the other parts of the Houston area make these insults, but after reading these threads it appears that other parts of Texas have co-opted these insults into their attacks on Houston in general. To me its like people complaining of how sausage is made as they are stuffing their faces with , links hotdogs and vienna sausages, or complaining about how cattle are slaughtered then chomping into a really greasy cheeseburger. If you think you are too good for the refineries then I suggest you are too good for the products they produce and suggest you buy a horse or a Jack Ass and forgo participating in a economy fueled by refined petroleum products. Of course once you do this I will start complaing about the trail of feces you leave behind as you mossey down that dirt trail you will be riding on.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
I just spent the weekend in Houston, some things really stuck out to me:

1) Very surprised by the amount of inner loop areas with no sidewalks
2) Impressed with the parks/greenspace in the city. I wish Dallas had a park like Hermann Park that people actually went to.
and no that little deck park over the freeway isn't even gonna be close.
3) Lots and lots of strip shopping centers everywhere (some cool designs on a lot of them)
4) Lots of fast food in almost every area, even River Oaks
5) Houston is quirky with a lot of off the wall random little restaurants, some looking very shabby, but great food.
6) Definitely more of a hipster/artsy vibe there rather than the preppy Dallas vibe. I think having Montrose as the center of gay and hipster culture combined into one area and close to downtown helps give the city this vibe. Dallas' scenes are divided up into different areas. Spreads it out more.
7) The sheer amount of crap along the frontage roads on a lot of the freeways in Houston should be addressed. If this was cleaned up I think the city would have a totally different image.
8) I love the mixture of home styles built next to each other. Very eclectic and gives a fun vibe. Dallas tries to do this some, but the housing styles here are more standard.
9) A lot more homeless people present in Houston than what I realized was there.
10) Traffic was awful everywhere!
11) The bar scene could use more cohesiveness. I can't imagine it's really easy to bar hop along Washington Ave as the places are spread out. Washington Ave and Montrose areas provide shuttles to get people around, Found that odd, but I guess it's a good way to deal with what you've got to work with.

Overall, had a nice visit. I found the bay area communities around NASA (Kemah, etc) very nice. I love the coastal feel.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I just spent the weekend in Houston, some things really stuck out to me:

1) Very surprised by the amount of inner loop areas with no sidewalks
2) Impressed with the parks/greenspace in the city. I wish Dallas had a park like Hermann Park that people actually went to.
and no that little deck park over the freeway isn't even gonna be close.
3) Lots and lots of strip shopping centers everywhere (some cool designs on a lot of them)
4) Lots of fast food in almost every area, even River Oaks
5) Houston is quirky with a lot of off the wall random little restaurants, some looking very shabby, but great food.
6) Definitely more of a hipster/artsy vibe there rather than the preppy Dallas vibe. I think having Montrose as the center of gay and hipster culture combined into one area and close to downtown helps give the city this vibe. Dallas' scenes are divided up into different areas. Spreads it out more.
7) The sheer amount of crap along the frontage roads on a lot of the freeways in Houston should be addressed. If this was cleaned up I think the city would have a totally different image.
8) I love the mixture of home styles built next to each other. Very eclectic and gives a fun vibe. Dallas tries to do this some, but the housing styles here are more standard.
9) A lot more homeless people present in Houston than what I realized was there.
10) Traffic was awful everywhere!
11) The bar scene could use more cohesiveness. I can't imagine it's really easy to bar hop along Washington Ave as the places are spread out. Washington Ave and Montrose areas provide shuttles to get people around, Found that odd, but I guess it's a good way to deal with what you've got to work with.

Overall, had a nice visit. I found the bay area communities around NASA (Kemah, etc) very nice. I love the coastal feel.
Now based on these observations which one would you say was better overall and why. I like both places and I think that regardless where you live you may always think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I have never lived in the Dalls area but do admire a lot of things about it. I imagine that aside from friends and family there would be things and places that people would miss about either if they were to relocate to the other. Do you think one place has more things that would be missed over the other?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Now based on these observations which one would you say was better overall and why. I like both places and I think that regardless where you live you may always think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I have never lived in the Dalls area but do admire a lot of things about it. I imagine that aside from friends and family there would be things and places that people would miss about either if they were to relocate to the other. Do you think one place has more things that would be missed over the other?
R1070 has made it clear that he greatly prefers the Dallas area.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I still think it was a pretty fair assessment. I love Houston myself, but I prefer Dallas. Like what I'd said there are many things I admire about Houston.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I still think it was a pretty fair assessment. I love Houston myself, but I prefer Dallas. Like what I'd said there are many things I admire about Houston.
Oh, I wasn't arguing his assessment. Just answering jd's question.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
haha

While I like Houston. I am more of a Dallas person. Every city has pros and cons.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Default Home sweet home

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
haha

While I like Houston. I am more of a Dallas person. Every city has pros and cons.
Home is where you make it......!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas