Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 01:53 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times

Advertisements

I thought we put this to rest. The Great Trinity Forest is the largest urban Harwood Bottomland Forest in North America. GTF is not the largest urban forest in America, there's a difference between the two. Just look at the first post on page 557.

Htown, we have a state park in Dallas County it's called the Cedar Hill State Park. It's only 1,826-acres but it's really nice. The park is on the shore of a big lake (Joe Pool Lake). Htown, Go Google Cedar Hill State Park. Maybe one day the Great Trinity Forest could become a state park. I can only imagine........

Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,552 times
I went to Dallas for the first time this month. I have been a resident of Houston for the past 4 years.

I was impressed by Dallas. I thought it was a nice smaller city, with all you need for city life. The suburbs are..well, suburbs.

I felt that Dallas has a slight California vibe, while Ft. Worth was so Texan. Interesting with them being in the same metro area.

I prefer Houston because I enjoy really big cities. Houston has more of everything, that's really the only difference. Houston is HUGE next to Dallas. Both have great hoods, sites, restaurants and things to do.

If I had to move to Dallas, I could see myself adjusting rather quickly. My friend simply said "Wow, it's the same exact thing (as Houston)". I thought that was funny. So I know that people like to say one city is better than the other...but Dallas and Houston are more alike than different.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Maybe one day the Great Trinity Forest could become a state park. I can only imagine........

I hope not. The state might start charging you to get in.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
Quote:
I thought we put this to rest. The Great Trinity Forest is the largest urban Harwood Bottomland Forest in North America. GTF is not the largest urban forest in America, there's a difference between the two. Just look at the first post on page 557.
No, this wasn't laid to rest at all. I said it was the largest in the United States, not North America. Your quote in no way contradicts that. Is this really so hard to understand? If you want to refute that it is the largest urban forest in the United States, provide a cite of a forest in the United States with a size over 7,558 acres, just one, and I won't have a problem changing my stance. So far, I'm the one who has come closest to doing so. If you can't do this, then you should never have refuted it in the first place.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
No, this wasn't laid to rest at all. I said it was the largest in the United States, not North America. Your quote in no way contradicts that. Is this really so hard to understand? If you want to refute that it is the largest urban forest in the United States, provide a cite of a forest in the United States with a size over 7,558 acres, just one, and I won't have a problem changing my stance. So far, I'm the one who has come closest to doing so. If you can't do this, then you should never have refuted it in the first place.
The City of Dallas which owns the Forest said it's 6,000 acres.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I hope not. The state might start charging you to get in.
Yeah, you have a point.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The City of Dallas which owns the Forest said it's 6,000 acres.
I just found where a spokesperson for Groundwork of Dallas said it's just shy of 7,000 so there seems to be disagreement about it. That certainly doesn't prove it's not the largest though.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I just found where a spokesperson for Groundwork of Dallas said it's just shy of 7,000 so there seems to be disagreement about it. That certainly doesn't prove it's not the largest though.
Ahhhhh your're in denial. Look at this slideshow from the City of Dallas.
http://www.dallascityhall.com/commit...ity_081908.pdf

Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 PM

I think Dallas is the Financial Capitol of Texas

Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Ahhhhh your're in denial. Look at this slideshow from the City of Dallas.
http://www.dallascityhall.com/commit...ity_081908.pdf
Further proving my point that it's disputable how large it is. From here (http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/html/great_trinity_forest.html - broken link), "An additional 1290 acres is in the process of being acquired." Maybe your cite referring to how much the city controlled before this 1290 acres was/will be acquired. And from here:

Quote:
“It’s just short of about 7,000 acres. It’s about six or seven times the size of Central Park in New York [City],” explained Peter Payton with Groundwork Dallas.
Of course the number I originally quoted was from Wikipedia, and they don't list a source so I'm not sure where it came from. Nevertheless, no evidence has been offered that there's a forest anywhere in the United States that is larger than even 6,000 acres so at this point, it's irrelevant.

Unfortunately I have to go to work now so I'm not going to be able to continue searching today. Of course it's not really my obligation to disprove myself anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas