Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,372,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why should it matter if the trees are planted or not? I honestly cannot tell the diffence between a native planted tree and a native naturally growing tree. In the area of Dallas I live in, we have a lot of Oak and Pecan Trees. I don't think all those trees were planted. How bout you come to Dallas and see if they were planted.
The difference is the mass forestation that you have in Houston. You can't re-create that just by planting.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with planted trees, but the greenery of Dallas can't compete with Houston; no city in Texas can.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,018,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why should it matter if the trees are planted or not? I honestly cannot tell the diffence between a native planted tree and a native naturally growing tree. In the area of Dallas I live in, we have a lot of Oak and Pecan Trees. I don't think all those trees were planted. How bout you come to Dallas and see if they were planted.
It matters when you are comparing a lush thickly wooded area where native fauna still roam with an area with a few strategically placed trees.

have you visited Phoenix by any chance? Not saying that Dallas is like Phoenix, but I often use it as an example of areas that I look at and just ask "WHY???"

Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM

328 posts, read 472,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
^^^^^

In DFW, you have man-made, sterile beauty, with nice trees planted here and there. If you're lucky, your neighborhood might be located in one of the hillier parts of town. In my opinion, that doesn't beat northern Houston, where you have neighborhoods enveloped in a natural blanket of lush, tall trees, the smell of pine everywhere, etc.

atascocita tx - Google Maps

kingwood tx - Google Maps
the smell of pine everywhere
Unless the wind is coming from the southeast...
natural blanket of lush, tall trees
I guess Atlanta has it all over Houston, right?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It matters when you are comparing a lush thickly wooded area where native fauna still roam with an area with a few strategically placed trees.

have you visited Phoenix by any chance? Not saying that Dallas is like Phoenix, but I often use it as an example of areas that I look at and just ask "WHY???"
Much of the West is naturally desert. There was a show on Discovery or some such program about what would happen if man were to disappear from a location. If that happened in Los Angeles and southern California, the area would revert to its native state, a desert. Yet that metro is the nation's second largest with almost 13 million people.

One of the most popular tourist destinations in the USA is Las Vegas, also desert.

My point is I don't know why such a premium is placed on "lush greenery and trees" when so many popular places to live and so many tourist destinations are either all desert or desert that has been "greened" with millions of planted trees and other artificial landscape.

I suppose it's easier to brag about what one has and degrade what one doesn't have.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
So many things I don't understand about this post.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So many things I don't understand about this post.
so many things I don't understand about all his posts. He should ask to be renamed Enigma

Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Much of the West is naturally desert. There was a show on Discovery or some such program about what would happen if man were to disappear from a location. If that happened in Los Angeles and southern California, the area would revert to its native state, a desert. Yet that metro is the nation's second largest with almost 13 million people.

One of the most popular tourist destinations in the USA is Las Vegas, also desert.

My point is I don't know why such a premium is placed on "lush greenery and trees" when so many popular places to live and so many tourist destinations are either all desert or desert that has been "greened" with millions of planted trees and other artificial landscape.

I suppose it's easier to brag about what one has and degrade what one doesn't have.
Greenery is very important to me. If someone isn't that fond of it, then I see how they could care less about Houston's trees.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
so many things I don't understand about all his posts. He should ask to be renamed Enigma
OK, OK, I will spell it out for you two:
I was with a friend who lives in Houston. We were visiting a friend of his to take him out to lunch. The gentleman, who was older, lived in a beautiful house in the Museum District, a real showplace, since he was a retired antiques dealer.

While waiting to leave, I was standing in the doorway of the house. There was a stiff breeze rushing by me. I smelled something funny, like a burning smell. I asked them what it was. Their answer: When the wind is right you get that from the petrochemical plants along the shore (btw, one of the largest, if not the largest, concentrations of petrochemical plants in the world).

Here I was, in one of the toniest neighborhoods of HTown, and I was breathing air permeated with burning petrochemicals. I guess you get used to it.
lush, tall trees = Houston = good
more lush, more tall trees = Atlanta = better

Any more questions, just ask.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
OK, OK, I will spell it out for you two:
I was with a friend who lives in Houston. We were visiting a friend of his to take him out to lunch. The gentleman, who was older, lived in a beautiful house in the Museum District, a real showplace, since he was a retired antiques dealer.

While waiting to leave, I was standing in the doorway of the house. There was a stiff breeze rushing by me. I smelled something funny, like a burning smell. I asked them what it was. Their answer: When the wind is right you get that from the petrochemical plants along the shore (btw, one of the largest, if not the largest, concentrations of petrochemical plants in the world).

Here I was, in one of the toniest neighborhoods of HTown, and I was breathing air permeated with burning petrochemicals. I guess you get used to it.
While I doubt the truth in this story, it's important to point out that the Museum District is inside the loop, and much closer to the east side. You cannot smell the refineries in most of Houston, let alone the far north suburbs. The devil is a liar.

Quote:
lush, tall trees = Houston = good
more lush, more tall trees = Atlanta = better

Any more questions, just ask.
Last I checked, Atlanta wasn't in Texas. This discussion is about Houston and Dallas, in case you weren't aware.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
The devil is a liar.
He also lives in Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas