Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,932,936 times

Advertisements

Speaking as someone who's driven through both constantly, I can tell ya that there are just as many differences as there are similarities.

Both are sprawled out with many strip malls/cookie-cutter housing and crazy drivers. Both have mega highways and construction everywhere ya look.

But DFW doesn't have the same types of trees and greenery Houston has. DFW isn't nearly as flat, and Houston (unlike DFW) is just one VERY big city dominating an entire area, so you feel like you really are in just ONE city. Houston's skyscrapers are friggin' everywhere and they feel bigger with more of an intimidation factor. You don't really feel that in any city in DFW, Dallas is the closest ya get.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 PM

469 posts, read 887,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
He is right though. Most metro areas in the US arent strong in transit usage, especially in the South. Compare America to Europe and you'll see.
But a lot of the metro areas are with the South excluded.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,809,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

Kanye West - Good Life ft. T-Pain - YouTube

"It feels like Houston"...not Dallas or Austin
That's my track!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,319,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
Dallas has better downtown, if words can be described for it since they're both bad. Dallas is way further along in downtown with housing and art cultures, airport, transportation and many big city amenities. Houston has a long way to go.
I don't think the statement regarding the arts in Houston is accurate.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 PM

44 posts, read 80,669 times
That's because Dallas Southern section is not funded at all that's the Hood part of Dallas and actually is the most beautiful considering Trees and Natural life and has the most land considering that Dallas is only 40% built smh... hmmm but Coming east from Houston on 59 certainly doesn't feel like your coming into a big city, then again I must admit that Houston did plan all over intead of one section. As soon as the black people took over Oakcliff that's when Oakcliff became a bad place and no no no don't build there so that's why we don't have a presence coming up to Dallas on 45. So yeah Dallas has to do better but I have to admit that now with the new mayor they are trying on that part. I love my city "DALLAS" not saying Houston is better at all but we need work.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM

6,724 posts, read 9,972,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
That's because Dallas Southern section is not funded at all that's the Hood part of Dallas and actually is the most beautiful considering Trees and Natural life and has the most land considering that Dallas is only 40% built smh... hmmm but Coming east from Houston on 59 certainly doesn't feel like your coming into a big city, then again I must admit that Houston did plan all over intead of one section. As soon as the black people took over Oakcliff that's when Oakcliff became a bad place and no no no don't build there so that's why we don't have a presence coming up to Dallas on 45. So yeah Dallas has to do better but I have to admit that now with the new mayor they are trying on that part. I love my city "DALLAS" not saying Houston is better at all but we need work.
You cannot build around Interstate 45 in South Dallas because of the Trinity River and the Great Trinity Forest. That area will never be developed because of the frequent flooding of the river. That's why 45 is one long bridge in that area.

dallas - Google Maps

dallas - Google Maps

Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
The main reason 45 looks like it does is because the land cannot be developed.

I-35 looks a lot different than 45, but still doesn't compare to other freeways leading into Dallas. The south side is very neglected other than a few pockets on the northern end of the south side.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you all are just whimps. That looks like anywhere Houstonville. We would just build over that and get good flood insurance. Can't build there my butt. Half of Houston is on a flood plain.
We learned our lesson in 1908 by building right next to the river. The Great Flood of 1908 killed 5 people and 4,000 people were homeless. The river crested at 52.6 ft and a width of 1.5 miles. Don't let the river fool ya, that thing is beast when it comes to floods.

TxDot was smart for building that stretch of 45 elevated. If it was at ground level the freeway would be shutdown every time we have heavy rain.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We learned our lesson in 1908 by building right next to the river. The Great Flood of 1908 killed 5 people and 4,000 people were homeless. The river crested at 52.6 ft and a width of 1.5 miles. Don't let the river fool ya, that thing is beast when it comes to floods.
Very true. When the land between the levees fills up it looks like the Mississippi River. I have a view from the top floor of my office bldg. I was really surprised.
I like it filled with water though. I wish they could dam it like Austin did with the river there downtown.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Very true. When the land between the levees fills up it looks like the Mississippi River. I have a view from the top floor of my office bldg. I was really surprised.
I like it filled with water though. I wish they could dam it like Austin did with the river there downtown.
It's funny how fast it fills up too. The floodplain is like a bathtub

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. But I heard there can be no more lakes created in the Trinity River Basin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas