Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,242,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
If I had to choose which city Dallas resembles that city would be Chicago, I know some will disagree but thats the vibe I get when I'm in Dallas and Houston does resemble parts of LA, Miami, and a slice of New Orleans as someone stated.
Chicago...No way...not in the least bit. I lived in Chicago for a year, and there is nothing in Dallas that reminds me of Chicago. Ok I'm wrong, maybe one or two office towers.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,242,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Most of Houston's density comes from the numerous low-end apartment complexes on the southwest side. It's not like the density is quality like in Uptown Dallas.
That's a good one. Sorry, but Dallas' Uptown is nothing next to Houston's Downtown, in both commercial and residence quality. Houston blows Dallas' Uptown off the map.

The SW complexes makes it dense? You seem to forget how huge the Inner Loop communities are. Never mind the Energy Corridor and other hoods outside the loop.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,069,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Chuckle all you want, but Houston has about 600 square miles of land and is still denser than Dallas. And did you see Htownlove's post on the last page? There really is no comparison as to which metro area has a more consistent density than the other...it's Houston. DFW as a whole is pretty fractured on the density thing, unlike Houston. Where are those colored maps that showed density?
Those numbers don't match what you're saying either. According to Wikipedia, Greater Houston has a population density of 666 people per square mile while DFW has a density of 709. That's only going by land too, if you include water, DFW is even further ahead.

If you're trying to say Houston is more consistently dense, I'd disagree that there's a considerable difference there either. Looking at this map, both metros are pretty fractured.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 PM

3,204 posts, read 5,407,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
That's a good one. Sorry, but Dallas' Uptown is nothing next to Houston's Downtown, in both commercial and residence quality. Houston blows Dallas' Uptown off the map.

The SW complexes makes it dense? You seem to forget how huge the Inner Loop communities are. Never mind the Energy Corridor and other hoods outside the loop.
Houston doesn't have an answer for Uptown Dallas. Never has, probably never will.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Just for the sake of completeness, I calculated the population density of the metro areas minus the major cities, including both Dallas and Fort Worth, so we're just looking at suburbs here. This is going by the 2010 census data on Wikipedia and only includes land area, not water. Surburban DFW has 530 people per square mile and suburban Greater Houston has 461. So I have to ask, in what way is Houston significantly more dense than Dallas?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,884,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Just for the sake of completeness, I calculated the population density of the metro areas minus the major cities, including both Dallas and Fort Worth, so we're just looking at suburbs here. This is going by the 2010 census data on Wikipedia and only includes land area, not water. Surburban DFW has 530 people per square mile and suburban Greater Houston has 461. So I have to ask, in what way is Houston significantly more dense than Dallas?
Its not....I am not seeing massive amounts of condo structures or people living on top of each other in Houston....Mostly single parent homes... Houston is just as suburban as Dallas just with a much larger city limits....

Old 03-01-2012, 02:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,619,462 times
Quote:
So I have to ask, in what way is Houston significantly more dense than Dallas?
It's not, but some of the Houston homers feel if they say it enough we'll give in and submit to their faulty logic.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
It's not, but some of the Houston homers feel if they say it enough we'll give in and submit to their faulty logic.
I've noticed that seems to be their standard for evidence. If they say it, it should be good enough and numbers won't matter.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:36 PM

350 posts, read 871,357 times
I think the real problem is the horrible perception of Houston that 90% of the country has (as in it being a complete ****hole). It makes the Houston people cling to little cherry picked statistics (some not even true, like the density thing) and act out on message boards.

Last edited by BigT3x; 03-01-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,619,462 times
Quote:
I've noticed that seems to be their standard for evidence. If they say it, it should be good enough and numbers won't matter.
Yep, and honestly I readily admit when I feel that Houston does something better or vice versa, or if I feel the two cities/metro areas are pretty much equal. The irritating part happens when you have dogmatic homers who blindly boost their city/area. We have a couple of those on the Dallas side, but I feel most of us don't take anything they say that seriously. On the other hand I've notice a few Houston homers who will tell anything outlandish and they just start agreeing with each other, like the more people who say it's true will make it true. "Our city is so much greener, so much more cosmo, feels so much more like a big and real city, our land is so much flatter therefore better and we have better floods then y'all do." ok we get it, DFW can and never will compete. Thanks for taking all the fun out of having a decent debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas