Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I've been to OKC more than a few times and that was enough for me to be honest. Sorry, I don't get a Cali vibe from Dallas. Its closer to OKC than LA IMO. Aside from the fact that the topography is TOTALLY different from southern Cali, dfw is too conservative to be compared to a city like LA. I've spoken previously about the ridiculous "dry" areas throughout the metroplex. The type of mindset that says that is ok doesn't exist in LA. Besides sprawl and several satelite mega-suburbs, what exactly does Dallas have in common with a city like LA? I just don't see it.
I was mostly speaking on the city itself. I dont know if Dallas city is like LA city. But I do know the city of Dallas Is NOTHING like Oklahoma city itself. DFW is conservative. Dallas itself is not. Heck Dallas county is not.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It was Danny, but I use it often And I think the stat you are looking for is that in SW Houston, the area packs more people than the entire city of Dallas in 200 sq miles using old census 2000 numbers

another good one is Beltway 8.

Beltway 6 is about 650 square miles and packs in 3M people. 600,000 more than the 900 sq mile Dallas county.

The Washington post map also divides Harris County into 4 parts, The Dallas posters who like to point out that if they join Dallas county and Tarrant County they get the same number of people in similar land area needs to go see that one. Splitting Harris into 4 Bits still leaves Houston plus the SW burbs with 3.5M people in an area the size of Dallas County. How do you like them apples
In 2005 only 551.4 sq mi of Dallas County was developed. The rest was Vacant Land, Water, or Floodplains/Parks.

In 2005 we had a estimated population of 2,305,454. So that means the density of Dallas County was really 4,181/sq mi.

Last edited by Dallaz; 03-01-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Dallas has a population density of 3794 people per square mile while Houston's is 3897. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I agree that Houston is a lot larger, both in population and area, and it's almost exactly the same difference so the population densities are virtually identical. I was disagreeing about Houston being more dense.
The densities may seem to be identical to you, but any fool could see that they are not. 4000 ppsm over 600 sq miles is much more impressive than 4000 ppsm over 350 sq miles. Why??? because Houston maintains the same (well a little higher actually) density over a much much bigger area.

When it comes down to it Houston reaches Dallases population in under 200 square miles (well more like 150) so in actuality if you were to carve out Dallases size from Houston and compare the core 350 sq miles of each city you will see that Dallas density would be the number you quoted lets just call it 4000 ppsm and Houston would be above 7500 ppsm.

another way of doing it would be carving it down to Dallases population instead of Dallases sq mileage. Bringing Houston's population to Dallases you get the 1.2M but in under 150 sq miles so in actuality Dallases density would again be 4000 ppsm while Houstons wouold be over 8000 ppsm.

Okay okay, you want to keep houston at 600 sq miles (rounding up to 600 for convenience), lets increase Dallas to that instead and see what we get. Houston has 2.1M people in 600 sq miles giving it a density of 3500 ppsm.
Increasing Dallas to the same 600 sq miles, we get a population in Dallas of 1.6M people in that 600 sq miles giving it a density of 2660 people per square mile. AGAIN DALLAS comes out much less dense.

Finally lets increase Dallas to Houston population to see what we get. to get to Houston's population we would have to take up darn near all of Dallas county. Dallas county is 900 sq miles. you will need 800 of that to match Houston's population it achieves in less than 600 sq miles so again, No no no no no, Dallas does not achieve the same darn density
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
The difference in density is negligible. It's like me making fun of someone who made a 94 on a test because I made a 95. Get real.
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to. I'm strictly talking about Houston proper versus Dallas proper. Their densities are nearly identical. That's it. Case closed.
Do you need a summary of above hun

1. Bringing Houston to Dallas size gets you a higher population in that same are which makes Houston denser (over 7500 ppsm to less than 4000)

2. Bringing Houston to Dallas population you achieve the same number in a much smaller area which makes Houston denser (over 8000 ppsm to less than 4000)

3. If you bring Dallas size up to match Houstons in the same settlement patern that exists in North Texas today you get only 1.6M people in that 600 sq miles while Houston has 2.1M which means that Houston again ends up more dense (under 4000 ppsm to 2660 ppsm)

4. Finally if you want to get the same number of people in Dallas as you do in Houston you would have to increase the sq mileage of Dallas all the way to 800 sq miles while Houston does it in under 600.

anyway you cut it love, Houston is more dense.

Check mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
In 2005 only 551.4 sq mi of Dallas County was developed. The rest was Vancant Land, Water, or Floodplains/Parks.

In 2005 we had a estimated population of 2,305,454. So that means the density of Dallas County was really 4,181/sq mi.
In 2010 the Washington post took the recently released Census numbers and divided Harris county into 4 bits and said that we had 3500 people in the area containing Houston and the SW burbs in Harris. the areas were not equal in size so lets just say that part containing Houston was about 700 sq miles. That would give the developed area around Houston a density over 5000 ppsm.
And yes, the sw burbs outside the limits do increase the density.

And that is with the airports and huge parks withing these limits. I hope you know Houston has 3 large airports and a Space Program in its city limits while Dallas has one. Houston has 2 parks with 10,000 acre areas, Dallas' biggest is 7000 acres. Houston has the huge ship Channel, Dallas does not. You have the flood plane we have 28 Bayous with flood plains of their own. Houston has almost 40 sq miles of protected wetlands to the east that they cannot build on in the city limits. So it is not Dallas alone that has land with no people on there hun.

Last edited by HtownLove; 03-01-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,540 times
Quote:

1. Bringing Houston to Dallas size gets you a higher population in that same are which makes Houston denser (over 7500 ppsm to less than 4000)

2. Bringing Houston to Dallas population you achieve the same number in a much smaller area which makes Houston denser (over 8000 ppsm to less than 4000)

3. If you bring Dallas size up to match Houstons in the same settlement patern that exists in North Texas today you get only 1.6M people in that 600 sq miles while Houston has 2.1M which means that Houston again ends up more dense (under 4000 ppsm to 2660 ppsm)

4. Finally if you want to get the same number of people in Dallas as you do in Houston you would have to increase the sq mileage of Dallas all the way to 800 sq miles while Houston does it in under 600.

Check mate

Sorry hunty, but ain't schooled nobody on nothing. I could gerrymander and cherry pick and come up with hypotheticals all day long too, but I won't. Houston has its share of zip codes over 10,000 and under 2,000 and same with Dallas. Fact is BOTH are overall hovering under 4,000.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry hunty, but ain't schooled nobody on nothing. I could gerrymander and cherry pick and come up with hypotheticals all day long too, but I won't. Houston has its share of zip codes over 10,000 and under 2,000 and same with Dallas. Fact is BOTH are overall hovering under 4,000.
You can't. If you could you would.

There is no significant area of Dallas that makes Dallas more dense than Houston.

Sorry Sweetcheeks!!!!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM

328 posts, read 471,784 times
Quote:
The densities may seem to be identical to you, but any fool could see that they are not. 4000 ppsm over 600 sq miles is much more impressive than 4000 ppsm over 350 sq miles. Why??? because Houston maintains the same (well a little higher actually) density over a much much bigger area.

When it comes down to it Houston reaches Dallases population in under 200 square miles (well more like 150) so in actuality if you were to carve out Dallases size from Houston and compare the core 350 sq miles of each city you will see that Dallas density would be the number you quoted lets just call it 4000 ppsm and Houston would be above 7500 ppsm.

another way of doing it would be carving it down to Dallases population instead of Dallases sq mileage. Bringing Houston's population to Dallases you get the 1.2M but in under 150 sq miles so in actuality Dallases density would again be 4000 ppsm while Houstons wouold be over 8000 ppsm.

Okay okay, you want to keep houston at 600 sq miles (rounding up to 600 for convenience), lets increase Dallas to that instead and see what we get. Houston has 2.1M people in 600 sq miles giving it a density of 3500 ppsm.
Increasing Dallas to the same 600 sq miles, we get a population in Dallas of 1.6M people in that 600 sq miles giving it a density of 2660 people per square mile. AGAIN DALLAS comes out much less dense.

Finally lets increase Dallas to Houston population to see what we get. to get to Houston's population we would have to take up darn near all of Dallas county. Dallas county is 900 sq miles. you will need 800 of that to match Houston's population it achieves in less than 600 sq miles so again, No no no no no, Dallas does not achieve the same darn density

Check mate

In 2010 the Washington post took the recently released Census numbers and divided Harris county into 4 bits and said that we had 3500 people in the area containing Houston and the SW burbs in Harris. the areas were not equal in size so lets just say that part containing Houston was about 700 sq miles. That would give the developed area around Houston a density over 5000 ppsm.
And yes, the sw burbs outside the limits do increase the density.

And that is with the airports and huge parks withing these limits. I hope you know Houston has 3 large airports and a Space Program in its city limits while Dallas has one. Houston has 2 parks with 10,000 acre areas, Dallas' biggest is 7000 acres. Houston has the huge ship Channel, Dallas does not. You have the flood plane we have 28 Bayous with flood plains of their own. Houston has almost 40 sq miles of protected wetlands to the east that they cannot build on in the city limits. So it is not Dallas alone that has land with no people on there hun.

This is another one of those touts I just don't get. Big deal!

I remember another one of those times I was visiting my buddy who lives in Houston. It was Christmastime and I wanted to go to the Galleria. It didn't take him two seconds to say he wanted nothing to do with the traffic. He didn't want to go so I went by myself. And of course the traffic was horrendous. And there are all those thoroughfares without dedicated left turn lanes, so everything gets backed up at the intersections. Just google "Houston traffic" if you want a crash course on what it takes to drive inside the vaunted loop during rush hour. And I'm not even talking about the freeways.

Try getting a parking place, any parking place, on Westheimer on a busy day. Try getting a parking place, any parking place, near a Montrose restaurant you go to. Chances are you'll have to park way down the street, or, take the dirt parking lot across the street. Or valet park and pay the $. There are no sidewalks in a lot of places, either.

You'd think with all that wonderful density that is so great (I suppose--it sure hold a lot of water with the homers on here), that Houston would be further along on providing additional mass transit choices, instead of just keeping it a car culture. I know more rail in the works, but from what I've read there is a lot of opposition from those neighborhoods, a huge NIMBY backlash. Maybe some are afraid there will be even more accidents involving cars driving into the path of the trains.

Is "dense" graded on a curve? Would Houston ever want to be as dense as Hong Kong or Singapore?

Granted, this wiki site is over 10 years old, but Houston is not even on the list.
List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Sour Grapes ^^^ we know that Houston is not on the ten most dense lists but it is the modest dense by Texas standards.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:59 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post

This is another one of those touts I just don't get. Big deal!

I remember another one of those times I was visiting my buddy who lives in Houston. It was Christmastime and I wanted to go to the Galleria. It didn't take him two seconds to say he wanted nothing to do with the traffic. He didn't want to go so I went by myself. And of course the traffic was horrendous. And there are all those thoroughfares without dedicated left turn lanes, so everything gets backed up at the intersections. Just google "Houston traffic" if you want a crash course on what it takes to drive inside the vaunted loop during rush hour. And I'm not even talking about the freeways.

Try getting a parking place, any parking place, on Westheimer on a busy day. Try getting a parking place, any parking place, near a Montrose restaurant you go to. Chances are you'll have to park way down the street, or, take the dirt parking lot across the street. Or valet park and pay the $. There are no sidewalks in a lot of places, either.

You'd think with all that wonderful density that is so great (I suppose--it sure hold a lot of water with the homers on here), that Houston would be further along on providing additional mass transit choices, instead of just keeping it a car culture. I know more rail in the works, but from what I've read there is a lot of opposition from those neighborhoods, a huge NIMBY backlash. Maybe some are afraid there will be even more accidents involving cars driving into the path of the trains.

Is "dense" graded on a curve? Would Houston ever want to be as dense as Hong Kong or Singapore?

Granted, this wiki site is over 10 years old, but Houston is not even on the list.
List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Strong logic.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post

Houston has larger city limits than Dallas, it covers a lot of land that would be the suburbs of Dallas. When you are in person in either city you don't see the lines that divide city from burbs its just one big expanse.
I think part of what you say is true, but when i'm in Dallas on my way to Arlington, it actually "feels" like you're leaving Dallas to go to the other city. That's just the vibe that the whole DFW area presents.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to. I'm strictly talking about Houston proper versus Dallas proper. Their densities are nearly identical. That's it. Case closed.
And Dallas has 300 sq miles of land less than Houston.

Now the case is closed.

stoneclaw/C2H (Comingto Houston)

Last edited by stoneclaw; 03-01-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 01:00 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Most of Houston's density comes from the numerous low-end apartment complexes on the southwest side. It's not like the density is quality like in Uptown Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas