Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,025,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Transit? DART has 72 miles of track and growing. Arts? The Arts District in Downtown.
DARTS's ridership is very low.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,025,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
It's amusing how when Houston posters try to compare what they have to DART's rail system, they have to use terms starting with when, if, will be or should.
DART needs to update their rail cars (not that they've ever been attractive). They are looking quite dated.

Houston has the most futuristic looking light rail cars I've ever seen & they are almost 10 years old.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,973,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Transit dependent yes, transit heavy??? No. The Red Line was built in a heavy traversed area. the blue line will do the same, the green line and they red line will pass threw dependent areas but dependent areas where the bus ridership is not all that because of lower concentrations of people.

Yes. I already said that the Blue line will offset both the red and Green's drop in ridership, but like I also said the blue line is gonna be completed years after the red, green and even the purple lines. So for two or three years Houston's ridership will plummet and then explode (by the time the Blue lines come on the green should be seeing increased numbers, especially if the Dynamo starts winning in their new stadium).

Honestly the reliant stages major events, they can't expect the Dynamo to keep the Green line alive like Reliant. Houston needs to realize too that it is the med center, HCC Main Street Square and UHD that is keeping the Red Line's numbers up. The Reliant causes ridership numbers to explode during special events, but having the Downtown stadiums as the only attraction isn't gonna help ridership much. In fact it is a short walk to the Stadiums from the RedLine. I would have not even considered Rail to the Second Ward (East End) and to NorthLine before rail went to Uptown, 3rd Ward and the Heights.

Seriously?? Bastrop?? York? Magnolia?? Lockwood??? Why on Earth would Metro deviate from a successful formula and start building rail to low population centers with zero economic, educational or entertainment centers?
If it was up to Metro, they would have the blue line under construction along with the others (including Uptown). Thank the NIMBYs for delaying it so much.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM

6,726 posts, read 9,975,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
DARTS's ridership is very low.
Tell me somthing that I don't know.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
DART needs to update their rail cars (not that they've ever been attractive). They are looking quite dated.

Houston has the most futuristic looking light rail cars I've ever seen & they are almost 10 years old.
You will find anything to compalin about. It has become very annoying.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,466,953 times
Quote:

our trains look more durable. Houston trains do look more modern but they also look cheap and almost cheezy......I'll take darts cars if i had to choose.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,255,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
our trains look more durable. Houston trains do look more modern but they also look cheap and almost cheezy......I'll take darts cars if i had to choose.
Cheap and cheezy??? Can't say I've heard that before.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,320,183 times
The Dallas trains and system is much nicer than what I saw in Houston. The Metro looks and is designed like what the streetcar system is going to be like in Dallas.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,466,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Cheap and cheezy??? Can't say I've heard that before.
Thats because its MY opinion and I'm just now saying it....the driver cabin looks gimicky....it looks as if it would break easily. It looks as if it was over-designed. It tries too hard to look modern and cool. They do look cool for the most part. But it the type of design that turns cheezy after you see it a couple of times. Same goes for the station with the puddle under it. Its cool at first glance,but with the second glance u notice how badly it missed the mark. It starts to look like it just stoped raining.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM

Is 1401 Elm, Downtown's Largest Vacant Building, About to Be Sold? Sure Looks Like It.

Late last week, in the comments to some item, a Friend of Unfair Park asked about if the Tower Petroleum Building had come off the market, since its web listing had disappeared. I called Colliers International's David Glasscock, who's repping that building and the mammoth 1401 Elm, which was once the tallest building in the state and closed in January 2010, and he said both were still available and that they were just retooling something having to do with ground-floor retail leasing...

..The agenda says the former Elm Place, which was on the market for $19 million, will be redeveloped by something called 1401 Elm Street Holdings LLC -- which, according to the state's Secretary of State's website, was created July 26 by Turkish investor and developer Mukemmel "Mike" Sarimsakci, who came to San Francisco's attention last year when he began buying buildings there, including one that went for $35 million...

...And, of course: "I'm very excited," says Crawford, who's yet to see the redo plans. "I would be thrilled to see 1401 Elm close. That's enormous. And potentially it could lead to other investment opportunities. I would be thrilled."

More tomorrow. Or Thursday, for sure.

Is 1401 Elm, Downtown's Largest Vacant Building, About to Be Sold? Sure Looks Like It. - Dallas News - Unfair Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas