Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 12:20 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,054,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yeah...except most houstonians wouldn't agree with Houston feeling Texan. Houstonians want to be refered to as a "BIG NEW ORLEANS".......
nope, we like to be referred to as Houston, the big Daddy of Texas

Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,487,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
nope, we like to be referred to as Houston, the big Daddy of Texas
No...we are the big daddy......remember? Big "D"? You guys are H-town. ..with the H meaning hater...

Old 08-08-2011, 12:44 AM

6,762 posts, read 10,026,537 times
Quote:
nope, we like to be referred to as Houston, the lil Daddy of Texas
I corrected it for you.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 AM

38 posts, read 67,107 times
Just got back from Dallas. I can't believe the hype. Downtown is much smaller than Houston's downtown. Diversity is MUCH, MUCH less (less interesting).

I think the only reason it has its fair share of big business/fashion/consumerism is because when combined with FW it has a larger population than Houston. I was completely surprised how many "dead spots" were in and around downtown. You won't find that in Houston, it is much more densely constructed in the Houston downtown vicinity. Stayed in a hotel near downtown with "a skyline" view. That was funny. Driving from Woodlands to Southwest Houston took 1 hour, and the drive consisted of completely urban areas both sides all the way around, at 75mph nonstop.

Houston is the bigger city for sure on its own against Dallas. Dallas+FW competes with Houston. I will say that Dallas was more white washed and seemed "cleaner" than Houston. Less diversity, less immigrants. Less interesting too though.

just my .02.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
No...we are the big daddy......remember? Big "D"? You guys are H-town. ..with the H meaning hater...
sorry, but who is this Dallas Fellow again?? Sorry but Sam Houston is the Daddy of Texas and Houston is the Daddy city

Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,076,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Houston is spending like a billion dollars to clean up the Bayou's. I am sure Houstonians will say its a good investment on the part of Houston.
Houston is officially known as the "Bayou City" so it all makes perfect sense to me.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violator1977 View Post
Just got back from Dallas. I can't believe the hype. Downtown is much smaller than Houston's downtown. Diversity is MUCH, MUCH less (less interesting).

I think the only reason it has its fair share of big business/fashion/consumerism is because when combined with FW it has a larger population than Houston. I was completely surprised how many "dead spots" were in and around downtown. You won't find that in Houston, it is much more densely constructed in the Houston downtown vicinity. Stayed in a hotel near downtown with "a skyline" view. That was funny. Driving from Woodlands to Southwest Houston took 1 hour, and the drive consisted of completely urban areas both sides all the way around, at 75mph nonstop.

Houston is the bigger city for sure on its own against Dallas. Dallas+FW competes with Houston. I will say that Dallas was more white washed and seemed "cleaner" than Houston. Less diversity, less immigrants. Less interesting too though.

just my .02.
dallasites just can't seem to get that, or rather they refuse to

Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 AM

Ahhhhhhhhh let the bashing begin! That's the only thing y'all can do best.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violator1977 View Post

just my .02.
Did you even go to North Dallas? NorthPark? Uptown? The Galleria? Something other than Downtown!

You only visited Dallas. So how do you know anything about the diversity? That's like me saying Houston isn't diverse at all and I've only been there for 24 hrs.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 AM

38 posts, read 67,107 times
Quote:
dallasites just can't seem to get that, or rather they refuse to

Who cares to change their minds? Everyone's got pride in their cities, in all these X vs. Y challenges, many people make good points.

Quite frankly I could get along with everyone except New Yorkers. They think their sh*t doesn't stink (including my fam. in NY).

Dallas = cleaner, whiter, possibly more fashionable. (BTW, how is the DART system??)
Houston = more vibrant, more cosmopolitan, more of a big city feel. Houston's metro is a joke.

I don't think either city has great public transportation. To me, that is a MAJOR requirement for any world class city. Every world class city I've been to except for L.A. and Las Vegas (which doesn't need it) has good public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas