Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That building may not be flashy, but at least its not ugly tho.
Oh YES IT IS. Trust me...

Old 10-19-2011, 12:52 PM

328 posts, read 471,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Houston has almost twice as many people living in its city limits, but the difference here isn't off by much. So of course Houston will have more overall having more people. Dallas has an impressive percentage and the actual number of Billionaires in the Metroplex is very impressive.
I'd be willing to bet that you're right, but since the poster provided only an orphan graph, with no link so we could know the criteria for the stat, we can only guess.

My guess is that it is cities only, no metros, which would explain why NYC, LA and Chicago are near the top: They have large populations. San Fran is there because it is a "mecca" city, an iconic place, one that attracts people of wealth because it is such an expensive place to live. DC is there because it is the seat of political power in America. Lobbyists and moguls want to be close to power, since we live in an oligarchy.

If my supposition is true it would seem, since the city of Houston has over a million more people than the city of Dallas, that the difference between the two should be a lot larger than the paper-thin margin shown in the graph.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
I'd be willing to bet that you're right, but since the poster provided only an orphan graph, with no link so we could know the criteria for the stat, we can only guess.

My guess is that it is cities only, no metros, which would explain why NYC, LA and Chicago are near the top: They have large populations. San Fran is there because it is a "mecca" city, an iconic place, one that attracts people of wealth because it is such an expensive place to live. DC is there because it is the seat of political power in America. Lobbyists and moguls want to be close to power, since we live in an oligarchy.

If my supposition is true it would seem, since the city of Houston has over a million more people than the city of Dallas, that the difference between the two should be a lot larger than the paper-thin margin shown in the graph.
Thats true and it not that big of a difference...I believe there is more money in Dallas

Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Thats true and it not that big of a difference...I believe there is more money in Dallas
Depends on the metric. Dallas has more billionaires, but Houston has a lot more millionaires.

The whole Dallas is rich, Houston is poor thing doesnt really hold up in 2011. Both have lots of rich and poor.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
I like Houston city Hall much better than Dallas city hall.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
People have this image and perception of Dallas being richer simply because of its reputation; however, it's exaggerated. Both have many wealthy citizens. Dallasites just tend to be more flashy and dressy.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post

if you could read you would see that this is by metro, not city!!!!!! So your silly idea that Houston has more people goes out the window.

stop being daft an open your eyes and read. With 400,000 LESS people, Houston has more super rich people.

It is funny how you guys are quick to ditch Fort Worth when it boosts your image but latch on to them to bolster your population rankings

Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
People have this image and perception of Dallas being richer simply because of its reputation; however, it's exaggerated. Both have many wealthy citizens. Dallasites just tend to be more flashy and dressy.
I agree, I have met many low key multimillionaires here. Some of them dress so modestly and are so modest in manner, you would think they were as broke as me.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
Quote:
if you could read you would see that this is by metro, not city!!!!!! So your silly idea that Houston has more people goes out the window.

stop being daft an open your eyes and read. With 400,000 LESS people, Houston has more super rich people.

It is funny how you guys are quick to ditch Fort Worth when it boosts your image but latch on to them to bolster your population rankings
If we could read what? All you ever provided was that graph with no actual data points behind it. It is impossible to read because it doesn't actually tell us anything, like if it was by city or metro.

But since you seem incapable of actually doing the due diligence on things you posted yourself, here it is:

All the links I've found (such as this one) says it's by city, not metro. So yea, before you freak out over what other people can or can't read, maybe you should do some reading yourself.

Oh, and here's another one (where your version of the infographic came from), and it again states that is, in fact, citites.

The report does mention that the NYC Metro has 13% of the nation's super rich, but that is the only mention of metro areas in the news blurb. Every other data point is for cities.

I fully expect you to apologize to casimpso for your rudeness, thanks.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
not so fast. I thought these were by metro.

DFW has more people in its metro,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
If we could read what? All you ever provided was that graph with no actual data points behind it. It is impossible to read because it doesn't actually tell us anything, like if it was by city or metro.

But since you seem incapable of actually doing the due diligence on things you posted yourself, here it is:

All the links I've found (such as this one) says it's by city, not metro. So yea, before you freak out over what other people can or can't read, maybe you should do some reading yourself.

Oh, and here's another one (where your version of the infographic came from), and it again states that is, in fact, citites.

The report does mention that the NYC Metro has 13% of the nation's super rich, but that is the only mention of metro areas in the news blurb. Every other data point is for cities.

I fully expect you to apologize to casimpso for your rudeness, thanks.
all the numbers are for metro. People use the term city but for all of them they are metro. No rudeness here and no apology is coming either. I mentioned they were metro in a post earlier, so it seems we have more than one poster who practices selective reading.

In Fact for SF and DC they include the whole darn CSA.

even the links you posted said city area, but you should know by now that metro areas are synonymous with city nowadays. It is done on here everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas