Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Status: "It's great to be an American today!" (set 1 day ago)

52,830 posts, read 48,297,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
By Jove, I think you've got it! Of course, the farther east you go, the more East Texasy it gets. I'd say it really starts around Mineola.

Well, logically, once you get east of 45 and well east of Dallas (further north), then it gets more "East Texasy". You've invented a new phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:33 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,689,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, logically, once you get east of 45 and well east of Dallas (further north), then it gets more "East Texasy". You've invented a new phrase.

LOL You beat me to it, Case, ol' buddy...I liked that one too!

Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 PM

17 posts, read 90,508 times
East Texas is anywhere east of I-45 to the LA state line.

I used to drive south along the I-45 axis from Dallas to Houston back in the late '90s to attend the big Houston Gun Collector's Association gun show every quarter at the old Astrohall. Sometimes, for diversion, I drove back along US 59 northbound and went through the town of "Knock-the-dishes" along the way.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Just kinda noting -- and thought is interesting -- that even though this thread asks for opinions about where ANY region begins/ends, the discussion seemed to heavily favor East Texas!

Wonder if it might be because THAT area is the one which is least like the popular image and/or Hollywood stereotypes of the state...?

Just a thought!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,624,764 times
Well, I've had folks in recently from Seattle area commenting on how Central Texas, with all its greenery and trees, is completely different from the Hollywood stereotype (they love it, by the way), so East Texas is not the ONLY region that doesn't fit that.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,301,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiodreamt View Post
East Texas is anywhere east of I-45 to the LA state line.

I used to drive south along the I-45 axis from Dallas to Houston back in the late '90s to attend the big Houston Gun Collector's Association gun show every quarter at the old Astrohall. Sometimes, for diversion, I drove back along US 59 northbound and went through the town of "Knock-the-dishes" along the way.
"Knock-the-dishes" ha!! That's cute! I know I have to think a second on how to pronounce it before I ever say it. heh

Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I've had folks in recently from Seattle area commenting on how Central Texas, with all its greenery and trees, is completely different from the Hollywood stereotype (they love it, by the way), so East Texas is not the ONLY region that doesn't fit that.
This is very true of course, I was only suggesting that East Texas would probably take TOP honors in that realm. And I use the word "honor" intentionally. To me, ANYTHING that destroys that old "desert and saguaro cactus" creation of the 40's and 50's era Westerns (which I LOVE, by the way) are very welcome!

Speaking of Central Texas though, and what you say, I read sometime back (don't exactly remember where) that when the movie The Alamo (the 2004 version) was filmed, the producers decided not to use the famous Brackettville "Alamo Village" (built for the epic John Wayne 1960 version). The reason was that the surrounding area was not historically accurate. That, in fact, the landscape around San Antonio was much greener and prettier than the stereotype usually presented with earlier Alamo films. So the place they settled on was one which, from extensive research on the matter, most resembled San Antonio of the era. With trees, and orchards and cotton fields surrounding.

I never saw the movie though...

Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,301,896 times
Interesting, TR! I didn't know that about the new Alamo movie. I haven't seen it yet, though. It didn't get good reviews but I don't always go by what the critics say. At any rate, I was just there over the Memorial Day weekend. Hadn't been to the Riverwalk in years. I love the Alamo! Such a beautiful little mission in the middle of downtown. The courtyard behind it is lovely. And they're not kidding when they say it closes at 5:30 pm. I was sitting on a bench with my sister and a security officer walked thru the park blowing on a whistle and hollering that the park was closed and everybody move out!

Yes, it's irritating to me sometimes, the image Hollywood has burned in everyone's minds of the way the entire state of Texas should look. A friend who lives in Missouri had a boss who asked her why she would want to visit Texas whenever she'd come see me. He said it was nothing but tumbleweeds blowing around! Gaaaa!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Interesting, TR! I didn't know that about the new Alamo movie. I haven't seen it yet, though. It didn't get good reviews but I don't always go by what the critics say. At any rate, I was just there over the Memorial Day weekend. Hadn't been to the Riverwalk in years. I love the Alamo! Such a beautiful little mission in the middle of downtown. The courtyard behind it is lovely. And they're not kidding when they say it closes at 5:30 pm. I was sitting on a bench with my sister and a security officer walked thru the park blowing on a whistle and hollering that the park was closed and everybody move out!

Yes, it's irritating to me sometimes, the image Hollywood has burned in everyone's minds of the way the entire state of Texas should look. A friend who lives in Missouri had a boss who asked her why she would want to visit Texas whenever she'd come see me. He said it was nothing but tumbleweeds blowing around! Gaaaa!!!
Hey Texas Sis!

I have HEARD the film is a good one, and historically accurate. I probably should see it just so as to not be TOO critical without good reason! LOL !

But ya know? I admit and I guess, being a native Texan of the old school, when I rent the DVD, I MIGHT ALSO need to buy a supply of rolaids...as I have heard it is very "revisionist" in its theme.

Kiddding a bit..and I hasten to add that "revisionist" doesn't mean it is historically inaccurate. Kinda like...the historian Walter Lord's classic "A Time To Stand" kinda "messed up" all accounts I had ever read prior of the Texicans being the classic good guys and the Mexicans being faceless devils...and the former killing at least 1500 of latter before overwhelmed! And of Travis' line in the dust being a lot askewed...and Bowie rising from his death bed and managing to kill 17 of the enemy before going down (good lord, the BEST of men cain't whip 3 on his best day! LOL) and Crockett finally sucumbing after taking out a dozen by swinging his rifle, Old Betsy!

Amazon.com: A Time to Stand: Walter Lord: Books

A part of me will ALWAYS believe the legend. But as Walter Lord pointed out, no Texan needs feel cheated by that, according to his honest research, that in fact, maybe, only 650 Mexicans were killed or wounded, or that Bowie couldn't have POSSIBLY done much more than fire two pistols (being on his deathbed) and that yeah, maybe Crockett just said, at the end, ok..I surrender (honorably).

All I know is, that, as you say, Miss BlueSkies...the Alamo is truly a "Shrine". In fact, this gives me an idea for another thread. For the moment though, I will just agree with you, totally. Every single time I have ever gone thru it, I get a bit teary-eyed. And don't apologize in the least for it! I know you and other natives Texans relate to it...

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-09-2008 at 06:30 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,596,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
"Knock-the-dishes" ha!! That's cute! I know I have to think a second on how to pronounce it before I ever say it. heh
My mom used to call it "naga-git-down-doches" when she attended Stephen F. Austin University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas