Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Backtracking a bit, the topic of this one is akin to one we did last year. That is, "Where Does East Texas Start?"
Great topic for a thread but as I read through the replies, an old Texas standard reply comes to mind when one attempts to answer a question for which the answer is vague or not known. That reply is, "Now don't start me lyin'."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
This state is confusing. West Texas State University is farther north than University of North Texas. East Texas State in Commerce (now Texas A&M Commerce) is also farther north than UNT. Southwest Texas State University is actually more central Texas than Southwest Texas (Is that why they changed the name to Texas State University and dropped the Southwest.)

No, directions on the map have nothing to do with where you are in Texas. Where you are is a personal and cultural feeling. I know that in Abilene I am in West Texas. On TV we are considered North Texas for weather predictions. Yet, we are awfully close to to Brownwood which calls itself Central Texas. Personally, I believe everything west of Highway 81 is west Texas. Ft. Worth is west. Dallas is East. They are both North.

Oh, I am confusing myself.
LOL!! Uh huh......

IMHO, Abilene is the far eastern edge of what I consider to be West Texas.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Great topic for a thread but as I read through the replies, an old Texas standard reply comes to mind when one attempts to answer a question for which the answer is vague or not known. That reply is, "Now don't start me lyin'."
Well, HPR, at least we can have a good laugh now and then. It's a wonder that our founding fathers should have used paint to draw lines and divide the state into regions. That would have been a hoot.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! Uh huh......

IMHO, Abilene is the far eastern edge of what I consider to be West Texas.
You are just about right, Cathy. That's exactly where it is.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You are just about right, Cathy. That's exactly where it is.
One big area for sure, LOL!!

I haven't quite decided where east Texas starts, though.....maybe around Paris??

Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,386,808 times
agreed! and hey stan in goldwaithe...great town. if it werent so far from my job i would live there. gonna buy in gatesville........next best thing!

Quote:
Belle, you have to go east of I-45 to really be in East Texas. East of Corsicana, Fairfield, and Huntsville, basically. And also about 40 miles east of Dallas. That's all it takes, hon. That would be well east of I-35.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Well, HPR, at least we can have a good laugh now and then. It's a wonder that our founding fathers should have used paint to draw lines and divide the state into regions. That would have been a hoot.
The location of Texas regional boundaries is definately a fun topic. It's sort of like asking whether or not one believes in exterrestrials or ghosts. Although I now allow the locals of a town to tell me whether they are in east or west Texas, as I recall, the last time I actually posed a question to a resident in a small Texas town I was driving through was how to pronounce Mexia.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,637,869 times
Default This could get complicated .... or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
as I recall, the last time I actually posed a question to a resident in a small Texas town I was driving through was how to pronounce Mexia.

As my good friend and hero, Skipper Bishop, from Mexia corrected me the correct pronouciation sounds like ... ma-hare' .

I consider anything east of I-45 and north of US 90 up to about Huntsville and then head toward Palestine. Got to stop maybe 60-100 miles north of I-20 and go to the border. If pine trees, trailerhouses, rednecks(like me) and boats at every other house are common then you might not be in East Texas. (I thought about adding meth labs to my list but decided against it).

Get you a Parks and Wildlife handout booklet at the Wallyworld sporting goods counter and look how they divided the state into 8 regions. Me being the redneck outdoorsman I am I kinda look at that as my guideline. If you're in the "Pineywoods Region" then you're in E. TX..

I've been to Mexia (My Hair) amd it damg sure ain't east Tx. I did see a bunch of trailer houses though.

BTW, its off topic, but if any of you are interested my buddy Skip has a website that his son set up for him. See what kinda man Texas makes!

Here it is: Skipper Bishop

Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Get you a Parks and Wildlife handout booklet at the Wallyworld sporting goods counter and look how they divided the state into 8 regions. Me being the redneck outdoorsman I am I kinda look at that as my guideline. If you're in the "Pineywoods Region" then you're in E. TX..
I guess all I can say for sure is that forty years ago I left Lufkin, Texas and ended up in Bovina, Texas. I'm pretty sure I crossed that mysterious east Texas / west Texas border somewhere.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:08 PM

63 posts, read 284,652 times
The East Texas boundary is easy. Anything east of I-45 is East Texas. One of these days, someone will come up with a map that better describes the destinct regions of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas