Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'm not sure if Tyler is getting the Dallas "treatment" per se, as it has a personality all its own. There's no denying the growth there, though. And you may be right about that line from Canton to Athens to Madisonville, but it's all give and take. Sometimes you might have to visit small towns just to see if locals can tell you what part of the state you're really in.
Yeah, Ur probably right...I think I got a little carried away there at the end...but for some reason I always associate the growth of small towns, whose proximity is within 1 1/2 - 2 hours of a large metro area, as being only a stones throw from becoming annexed into whichever large city they are situated against. See: Conroe/Houston scenario...Terrell 15 years ago/Dallas...Just my own paranoia setting in though...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Default Will Houston Absorb Lufkin? I Doubt It

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah, Ur probably right...I think I got a little carried away there at the end...but for some reason I always associate the growth of small towns, whose proximity is within 1 1/2 - 2 hours of a large metro area, as being only a stones throw from becoming annexed into whichever large city they are situated against. See: Conroe/Houston scenario...Terrell 15 years ago/Dallas...Just my own paranoia setting in though...lol
Oh, and that Houston thing......Livingston is pretty safe now. Cleveland? That may be another story.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
But it is truth you speak...I have ALWAYS been kind of hesitant to lend the East Texas extensions very far beyond Tyler (traveling from east to west...that is)...I always sat in silence thinking that, that Greenville allowance you had previously been giving was a bit gratuitous towards East Texas...lol
LOL Well, I DO appreciate you cutting me some slack on that! LOL But seriously, I mean that with the utmost respect!

To the point and yeah, maybe I AM stretching it a bit far east (Greenville). What is the next town over along 69 South...Lone Oak? I DO know that by the time one reaches Mineola, one is, without a doubt, in East Texas.

Years change things too, though. Greenville is not the same town it was when I first started travelling that route 15 years ago.

Quote:
Really, if we truly want to get nit picky about it, a line could be struck right outside of the westernmost extension of Tyler and down thru Huntsville, Conroe and so forth...because even Tyler is developing more of a Dallas influence than other parts of Upper East Texas. IMO..
Solytaire and Case...my dear friends...PLEASE don't tell me that! Tyler developing the "Metroplex" influence, that is.

That city has always been, to me, where the Old South begins! Roses and magnolias and pines and azaleas and where the Yellow Rose of Texas beats the Belles of Tennessee!..*sighs*....

Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Default You Can Resume Natural Breathing Now

Whoa! Rest easy, Rebby. And Athens won't be the next Fort Worth, either. Everybody is safe.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Whoa! Rest easy, Rebby. And Athens won't be the next Fort Worth, either. Everybody is safe.
Welllll, ok...*mollified a bit here...*

And let me go ahead and cast my vote along the "lines* (pun intended) of where you and Solytaire and a few others sorta "sketched" the chalk lines of East Texas going west to east along a north/south axis....

Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Oh dear, what have I started!...I think we all need to just roll away from our computers for a moment and just take a deep breath...whichever towns are whereever...at the end of the day they're all still in Texas where they belong and East Texas sure ain't goin nowhere..lol.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Case? I was just thinking (occasionally I do! LOL), that yes, Terrell might actually fit the definition of being the "Gateway to East Texas". But not actually BE East Texas...?

Kinda like...well, going thru the swinging gate onto private road and property just means you only started your trek up to the house and what it REALLY is!
Well, hey, look on the bright side. Canton's only thirty miles away from Terrell. You'll be there in no time.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Oh dear, what have I started!...I think we all need to just roll away from our computers for a moment and just take a deep breath...whichever towns are whereever...at the end of the day they're all still in Texas where they belong and East Texas sure ain't goin nowhere..lol.
Oh, Good Lord, no...Solytaire!

I HOPE I didn't give even the slightest impression I was offended or upset or in a tizzy or whatever over this subject! I am enjoying it! NOT a problem, my friend!

And in turn, I hope I didn't give any offense! I like to discuss and debate and barb back and forth with my fellow Texas posters! I ALWAYS learn something...whether I agree or not! Hell, half the fun would be lost if we didn't rib back and forth and clink bottles and all, right?

God Bless Texas!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Oh, Good Lord, no...Solytaire!

I HOPE I didn't give even the slightest impression I was offended or upset or in a tizzy or whatever over this subject! I am enjoying it! NOT a problem, my friend!

And in turn, I hope I didn't give any offense! I like to discuss and debate and barb back and forth with my fellow Texas posters! I ALWAYS learn something...whether I agree or not!

God Bless Texas!
No sir...lol..not at all...I completely jest...Nothing more than one of my wry, late night attempts at sarcasm...but all is well, especially in Texas...lol

Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
No sir...lol..not at all...I completely jest...Nothing more than one of my wry, late night attempts at sarcasm...but all is well, especially in Texas...lol
Which means those stars still shine bright, late at night, Deep In the Heart of Texas!

G'night y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas