Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 AM

636 posts, read 1,917,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Believe it or not, they actually had billboards -- and I'm not sure if they're still there -- leading into Terrell telling people that it is the 'Gateway to East Texas'. I got a real big kick out of those billboards. They were found east of Dallas, both on U.S. 80 and I-20.
I'm not sure if they're still on 80; I'm going out there this weekend, and I'll report back. I know that once I get out of Terrell, I sure enjoy the greatly reduced traffic the rest of the way. As I said earlier, I really start to FEEL like I'm truly in East Texas between Grand Saline and Mineola.

There are some charming little towns out along 80: Wills Point, Edgewood, Grand Saline, Mineola, etc. My heart rate drops significantly once I'm out there. Things are greener, and much slower. I wish I had discovered this therapy earlier in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,610 times
Yeah, I love it, too, tycobb. Wish I could live out there but my husband has had his fill of East Texas.

I've enjoyed this little friendly debate, for the most part. Nice to see other Texan's pov and experiences!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
I have to somewhat agree. I bought a lakehouse in East Texas last year and have spent a good deal of time roaming the area between Dalls and East Texas. I usually travel east on 80.

In my opinion, although Terrell may be generally accepted as the gateway, I don't FEEL like I'm in East Texas until AT LEAST Grand Saline or so.
If you don't mind my asking, Ty, on what lake is your cabin?

Caddo Lake is always our destination point, but *sighs ruefully* as always, I was a day long and dollar short when it came to getting some waterfront property out there. By way of explanation, over the years of being a regular, I have made some good friends who live on or near the lake. One of them is in the contruction business and grew up on the lake and a lot of property is owned by his family. Anyway, he told me that, even as late as the mid-1990's one could get a decent waterfront lot for 10 - 20K. Now, the same lots run 100K and above!

If I could go back and do it all over again...

Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
If you don't mind my asking, Ty, on what lake is your cabin?

Caddo Lake is always our destination point, but *sighs ruefully* as always, I was a day long and dollar short when it came to getting some waterfront property out there. By way of explanation, over the years of being a regular, I have made some good friends who live on or near the lake. One of them is in the contruction business and grew up on the lake and a lot of property is owned by his family. Anyway, he told me that, even as late as the mid-1990's one could get a decent waterfront lot for 10 - 20K. Now, the same lots run 100K and above!

If I could go back and do it all over again...
I have a place at Holly Lake, and property on Hawkins.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
But it is truth you speak...I have ALWAYS been kind of hesitant to lend the East Texas extensions very far beyond Tyler (traveling from east to west...that is)...I always sat in silence thinking that, that Greenville allowance you had previously been giving was a bit gratuitous towards East Texas...lol
I was thinking a bit more on my pegging the "just east (SE actually!)" of Greenville as being where East Texas begins. Anyway, something I might not have emphasized as much as I should have, is that the whole opinion is based on taking the scenic Hwy 69 route. On the other hand, if one takes I-30 (which I have on occasions) toward Mt. Pleasant to cut down to Jefferson, then I would place the axis further east...maybe around Sulpher Springs.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it seems to me that when one is travelling along a major highway, you miss a lot of the changing ambiance of the landscape and towns themselves, so it becomes a little harder to detect the said changes...

Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
My parents grew up in Paris and Honey Grove and I would definitely say that they, along with Clarksville are East Texas -- funny how you can cross the Red River and Oklahoma people are completely different.

Around Bonham it seems to start changing and if you go west to Sherman and Denison, it doesn't seem the same...

Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
My parents grew up in Paris and Honey Grove and I would definitely say that they, along with Clarksville are East Texas -- funny how you can cross the Red River and Oklahoma people are completely different.

Around Bonham it seems to start changing and if you go west to Sherman and Denison, it doesn't seem the same...
Honey Grove... My dad grew up in Talco (has anybody ever heard of that town?) and was always talking about having a crush on a girl from Honey Grove! Sorry for the threadjack, but that's the first time I've heard anyone mention Honey Grove in a long time!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,385,807 times
i used to know a guy actually named ty cobb.....when i lived in DFW area...lived in Ft Worth or Arlington or Mansfield. is that your real name? if it is, i have met you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Honey Grove... My dad grew up in Talco (has anybody ever heard of that town?) and was always talking about having a crush on a girl from Honey Grove! Sorry for the threadjack, but that's the first time I've heard anyone mention Honey Grove in a long time!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i used to know a guy actually named ty cobb.....when i lived in DFW area...lived in Ft Worth or Arlington or Mansfield. is that your real name? if it is, i have met you
No, just my screen name... I chose it as the appropriate antithesis to my kind, gentle and soft personality.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
Default East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Belle, you have to go east of I-45 to really be in East Texas. East of Corsicana, Fairfield, and Huntsville, basically. And also about 40 miles east of Dallas. That's all it takes, hon. That would be well east of I-35.
By Jove, I think you've got it! Of course, the farther east you go, the more East Texasy it gets. I'd say it really starts around Mineola.

I do NOT understand the heated remarks a few posts back, but I'm not trying to get that started again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas