Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 PM

228 posts, read 539,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I don't think I am biased here.
Are you kidding? With this over-the-top language and selective treatment of Dallas's strengths and Austin's (supposed) weaknesses, you are the embodiment of biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy
Austin is extreme crap
Quote:
the Austin population is heavily brainwashed and dumbed down by UT Austin indoctrination and prevalent alcohol and marijuana abuse: so you are guaranteed to not meet anyone of value or class there
Quote:
Austin is a backwoods drunkard village compared to the high tech sophistication, splendor, and grandiosity of Dallas, Texas.
Quote:
Stay the hell away from Austin, Texas
Quote:
Horrible experience: horrible people!
It's not just that you bash Austin without mentioning a single good thing about it; it's that by contrast you paint Dallas as a utopia despite all its shortcomings.

As a free lesson, I'll offer you an example of an unbiased post (of mine, from this thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi
Any of the three cities you list, as well as Fort Worth, could be a good fit. Dallas and Houston are much bigger cities with more big city amenities and more diversity. Austin meets your specific criteria well--it has a good bar/music scene and is an outdoorsy city that shares some similarities to Portland, so just choosing one of the three, I suggest Austin.
Note how I (1) refrain from making up complete nonsense; (2) suggest other cities in Texas have their own strengths; (3) refrain from using extreme language that makes me look like I have an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The Spider House Art Space/restaurant in Austin is okay. It's comparable to Obzeet in Dallas.

But more realistically compare that to everything that Dallas offers in Deep Ellum, Oaklawn, and Exposition Park. It dwarfs Austin.

The Dallas Contemporary and The MAC (in Oaklawn district) are the two leading giants of art/artsy nightlife events in Texas. The Nomad used to be good before it went down the tubes.

The Lizard Lounge in Dallas always throws a sideshow carnival several times a year: plus Zombie Prom, Gothic Beauty Pageant Night, and costume parties. You won't find anything radical like that in Austin: I think the hipsters and emos are the pariahs in Austin: that's why everyone is always screaming "eww those guys wear tight pants".
Again, your ignorance is showing. There are events like this all the time in Austin. Wait...I suppose "costume parties" are exclusive to Dallas...

Yet again, you characterize the whole city to be either hipsters, drunk college students, or hippies--whatever seems appropriate for the conversation. Just another reason that your posts never solicit a genuine reply.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,101,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

Anyway, moving from NYC to Texas (or really any place in the south) is going to be a huge culture shock whatever the city. But DFW and Houston are just such ginormous southern megaburbs, it might just be too much. They are excellent values for cost of living, and they have the jobs... But if you have the money, or the skill to thrive in a competitive environment where everyone wants to be, then Austin would be the choice. I fully admit I'm biased, though - I have lived in all 3 and love Austin.
Outside of the central core, Austin is even more of a ginormous megaburb than Dallas or Houston.

At Least Dallas and Houston have dense lively pockets outside the core, Austin is just low density sprawl outside the core

Old 03-03-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Outside of the central core, Austin is even more of a ginormous megaburb than Dallas or Houston.

At Least Dallas and Houston have dense lively pockets outside the core, Austin is just low density sprawl outside the core
I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but I must ask--does that really matter? Why the fascination with the density of Texas cities?

In in the end, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and really any other city in the state are all low density in the grand scheme of things. None of them are transit-oriented, truly walkable cities.

Where are all these desirable "dense, lively" pockets outside of the core of Dallas, for example, and how "dense" are we talking? 10,000 people per square mile? 20,000? These numbers might be impressive by Texas standards, but to someone from NYC, all of these cities are going to essentially have the same feel--sprawling, auto-centric, and overall low-density. I see no need to split hairs over which city has more large clusters of low-rise apartment complexes several miles away from downtown.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but I must ask--does that really matter? Why the fascination with the density of Texas cities?

In in the end, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and really any other city in the state are all low density in the grand scheme of things. None of them are transit-oriented, truly walkable cities.

Where are all these desirable "dense, lively" pockets outside of the core of Dallas, for example, and how "dense" are we talking? 10,000 people per square mile? 20,000? These numbers might be impressive by Texas standards, but to someone from NYC, all of these cities are going to essentially have the same feel--sprawling, auto-centric, and overall low-density. I see no need to split hairs over which city has more large clusters of low-rise apartment complexes several miles away from downtown.
oh I am not fascinated at all. I just hate when people make it sound like Houston and Dallas sprawl to high heaven and Austin is tight and compact.

you yourself are acting very hypocritical for telling me off when I correct someone who made it seem like Austin was so dense, but let the person make faulty statements without saying a peep.

That is why people always say Austin people have attitudes. you want to be able to call Houston and Dallas sprawling but when we point out that Austin sprawls even worse you say that All of them are nothing compared to the real dense cities?

well we are not talking about any freaking dense cities, I am just correcting a post that is making it seem like Austin is a dense compact city.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,968,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That's not been my experience. DFW and Houston are quite notable in their size and spread, compared to really any city in the country.

Austin would have a long way to go (and require many, many more highways) to ever get to that stage.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,111,723 times
But the costume parties are much more radical in Dallas: more XXX fetish orientated. Whereas in Austin the KKK Jesus Police would come after you and have you mobbed out of town for being "offensive" and "lewd". The most radical people you will see in Austin are people wearing skinny jeans: which isn't anything new or radical. I'm sorry to say but it's behind the rest of the world by about at least 7 years: plus what is even sadder is they think they actually invented that scene. My friends and I are literally laughing about this as I type this message to you.

Quote:
Again, your ignorance is showing. There are events like this all the time in Austin. Wait...I suppose "costume parties" are exclusive to Dallas...

Yet again, you characterize the whole city to be either hipsters, drunk college students, or hippies--whatever seems appropriate for the conversation. Just another reason that your posts never solicit a genuine reply.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-03-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
That's not been my experience. DFW and Houston are quite notable in their size and spread, compared to really any city in the country.

Austin would have a long way to go (and require many, many more highways) to ever get to that stage.
It doesn't matter what the physical size is, no one needs to travel all over the entire metro area to live.

I am speaking specifically to the the sprawl patterns in each.

and even though Dallas and Houston occupies more land area, more people live in those areas outside the core on average than in Austin.

but anyway we are having a useless argument, the OP doesn't want to live very far from downtown.

I just wanted to clear up the notion that DFW and Houston are the only Texas cities that sprawls. Houston and DFW are actually more heavily populated outside their core than Austin

Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Where are all these desirable "dense, lively" pockets outside of the core of Dallas, for example, and how "dense" are we talking?
and are you kidding me?? there are dozens of lively pockets outside of Dallas core, unlike Austin.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,462,230 times
Quote:
. But DFW and Houston are just such ginormous southern megaburbs, it might just be too much.
1. If you live and work in the city center, there is no reason to go to the suburbs. Ever. My fiancé lives in East Dallas and works downtown....the last time he saw a suburb was probably the last time he drive to DFW airport. The last time he spent time in one is probably last summer when we went to a friends boat on lake Ray Hubbard in Rockwall. I commute to Plano daily, but never "hang out" there. If half the suburbs disappeared tomorrow, I doubt I would ever know.

2. There's nothing "Southern" about Dallas- or Houston either. Southern cities are Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham.

3. I don't know how you can claim Austin is not "mega-suburb". They start in Georgetown (which is what, 15-20 miles north of downtown Austin?) and are stacked one on top of the other all the way into the city. Same thing on the southwest (?) side of town. I don't understand the argument that DFW or Houston's sprawl could be "too much", yet Austin's (and the highways of Austin which were NOT built for it's current population) would not be a big deal. It takes people an hour to get from Steiner Ranch to downtown in rush hour- same as getting from Frisco or The Woodlands into downtown Dallas or Houston.

Pot, meet kettle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas