Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,739,635 times

Advertisements

I am not going to participate in the poll. Personally, I think you should visit each of the three cities (Austin, Dallas, Houston) and make up your own mind, based on your own observations and preferences.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 AM

725 posts, read 1,242,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Austin may be too provincial after experiencing NYC and you'll end up hating Texas just because of your experience in that one city. Houston is the most cosmopolitan city in Texas and is on the coast like NYC. Once you live on the coasts, it's hard to move inland (Dallas and Austin).
This. After living in Houston, Norfolk, and LA, Austin is KILLING me. I need more than just the river. Its tough living away from the Gulf or the ocean.

And Austin is provincial, but I think he'll like it better overall. It's just one flaw among a lot of positives.

But me, I'll take Houston any day. Much more down to earth, its a REAL city and day trips to the beach.

DFW is cool and the OP may like it, but if I was a betting man I'd put my money down that he'll choose Austin at the end of the day.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,271,141 times
Dallas, hands down. No other city in Texas comes close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryzero View Post
I am 31, and am being relocated to Texas by my employer. I love NYC, and don't want to leave, but my employer is incredibly insistent that I live in Texas, at least for a couple of years. As such, I am in urgent need of city recommendations. Other than NYC, my favorite cities in the U.S. are Portland, San Diego, Denver, and Chicago. I have visited each of Houston, Dallas, and Austin, but for only one day per city. Regardless of where I end up, I plan to reside in the central district (no more than 10-15 minutes from downtown), and I would appreciate a city with some green space, a downtown that isn't a ghost town on evenings/weekends, a good bar/music scene, some cool walkable areas of town, and some urban loft-style living options. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,991,745 times
Austin is extreme crap: it's extremely overcrowded on their two party streets 6th street and 4th street: the Austin population is heavily brainwashed and dumbed down by UT Austin indoctrination and prevalent alcohol and marijuana abuse: so you are guaranteed to not meet anyone of value or class there.

I personally love nightlife and big city festivities too. Dallas has a lot of areas and great bars on McKinney street, Knox/Henderson, Greenville, Deep Ellum, Exposition Park, and Addison/Addison circle. You will almost never have to deal with overcrowding and extreme traffic that you will see everywhere in the dumpy city of Austin.

The OP should move near North Dallas: Addison, Texas. Beltline road has a lot of bars and restaurants all in one area. But you always have the option to go to McKinney Street, Knox/Henderson, Greenville Avenue, Cedar Springs, and Deep Ellum. There is an area in North West Dallas that caters to Hispanic nightclubs. If you want a place to go in Dallas check out the West End and West Village.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21QiIiiV6RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Yeah, but Dallas' Downtown is dead after working hours. I think Austin would be more to his liking.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-03-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM

What are you talking about? Austin is a backwoods drunkard village compared to the high tech sophistication, splendor, and grandiosity of Dallas, Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post

DFW is cool and the OP may like it, but if I was a betting man I'd put my money down that he'll choose Austin at the end of the day.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 PM

The music scene in Austin consists of a run down club called Emo's (plus 10 other box buildings that look the same) and a festival featuring has-beens called South By Southwest/ACL. I kid you not. Stay the hell away from Austin, Texas. I lived there for one year and I was bored to tears every single weekend. I'd go out to the overcrowded downtown and "party" and it was so boring: nothing to do but see people stare at each other getting drunk and goofing off. Horrible experience: horrible people!

Some other poster mentioned Uptown in Dallas. Move there: check out West Village, Victory Park, or The West End while you are at it too. Contemporary Art is very huge in Dallas: a lot of people attend art receptions at various museums and galleries in the evenings and enjoy the free wine and free food samples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpyrner View Post

Based on your post, I would go with Austin. Great music scene, lots of parks, the more walkable city between the three, thriving/centralized downtown area, laid back feel. It is the smallest city between the 3 but since your fave cities are San Deigo, Portland & Denver that is why I pick Austin. Good luck!

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-03-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,743,599 times
Since you said you liked Portland I would have to recomend Austin.

Austin has more of what you are looking for than any other place in Texas although Montrose in Houston might be close.

Good Luck

Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM

You have no clue what you are talking about: people mislead me to go to Austin because it was supposed to be a big huge progressive and modern bastion. I felt like I went back in time by 60 years: that is how lousy Austin, Texas is. Please stay the hell away from the city and move to Dallas, Texas. Dallas is a vast and modern city with a lot of great nightlife. You don't see traffic and crowding out on the streets like you do in Austin because the people in Dallas are inside partying and having a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Since you said you liked Portland I would have to recomend Austin.

Austin has more of what you are looking for than any other place in Texas although Montrose in Houston might be close.

Good Luck

Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM

West Village

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,199,429 times
"weirdo white hippies" CHORTLE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas