Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 AM

58 posts, read 134,896 times

Advertisements

Hi!

If you wanted to give someone a bulleted list of things to pique their interest what would it be? (an actual bulleted list would be appreciated only in the interest of being concise). I'd like to link back to this thread.

links, facts, things of that nature -- perks benefits of living in st. louis random facts sort of thing.

I hope this isn't too much trouble!! I can't find a blog or site dedicated to moving to st. louis.

What's the housing stock like and the economy and jobs and nightlife dating life what's the vibe like diversity. The more facts the better numbers and stats, I know its weird but I trust them they're facts why wouldn't I? lol

Also any awesome pics would so be appreciated too, they're all scattered over the net. If you have any you like could you put a link to them here?

Thanks! I really hope this isn't asking too much but there isn't a sticky thread or anything on the board.

-- Julia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 AM

270 posts, read 855,563 times
- Cost of living is low (2008 cost of living index in St. Louis: 82.4 (low, U.S. average is 100))

- Many attractions are free (St. Louis Zoo, Art Museum, History Museum)

- Some of the best urban parks in the world (Forest park, Lafeyette Square, Tower Grove, Carondelet Park, O'Fallon Park, Jeffersion Expansion Memiorial)

- Very nice classical musical arts scene (the Fox, The Rep, Powell Symphony Hall (second oldest symphony in the nation))

- Top notch Universities (Wash U, St. Louis U, UMSTL, Webster U, and several other small schools)

- Several of the largest private companies (Enterprise Rent a car, Graybar, Scottrade, Edward Jones)

- Several of the largest public companies ( Emerson, Energizer, Anheuser Busch InBev (North American Headquarters), Boeing Integrated Defense Systems, Purina, Express Scripts, Charter Communications, Monsanto Company, and Wells Fargo Advisers.

- A very strong history of greatness (Lewis and Clark lived here after their expedition, T.S. Eliot, First Olympics in the U.S. and the host of the World's Fair, Maya Angelou, etc.)

- Very strong athletic community (Cardinals/Brown Stockings, Browms/Orioles, Rams/Cardinals, Blues, long history of professional soccer players)

That's all I can do right now, hope this gets her started!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 AM

767 posts, read 2,067,132 times
Fantastic neighborhoods for every taste (Central West End, Lafayette, St. Louis Hills, Clayton, pretty much all of West County, most of South County, Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Kirkwood, Webster, etc...All good!)

The weather is milder that most other midwest cities and far enough South to get a break from the winter cold on a fairly regular basis.

People are generally very friendly.

Very diverse terrain within a short distance (hills, bluffs, rivers, caves, farm fields, forests, etc.)

Most drivers are polite and traffic is usually very tolerable relative to alot of places.

High value for the buck. You typically get alot for your money in terms of housing, schools, and neighborhood quality in most locations. However, be prepared to pay California style prices in the more swank Mid County and West County neighborhoods (e.g., Ladue, Huntleigh, Town and Country, etc.).

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 10-27-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
...However, be prepared to pay California style prices in the more swank Mid County and West County neighborhoods (e.g., Ladue, Huntleigh, Town and Country, etc.).
We bought our home in the "upscale community" of Lake Saint Louis for what I call "ghetto priced" .
(you may be able to get run down bungalow in Santa Ana for what we paid for a home on the lake)

Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM

270 posts, read 855,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
We bought our home in the "upscale community" of Lake Saint Louis for what I call "ghetto priced" .
(you may be able to get run down bungalow in Santa Ana for what we paid for a home on the lake)
I think you are a little jaded to how California priced their homes before the recession. Premium homes in Lake St. Louis (and Ladue) go for the mid $3M's. You can get a 5 bed, 5 bath w/ 6,000 sq. ft. and panoramic views in the low $2M's in Santa Ana.

P.S. - Do you know you're spelling piranha incorrectly?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 AM

275 posts, read 1,125,271 times
Easy!
The People

The People

The People!

Love this area of the country!

A few others:

St. Louis Blues Hockey!!!!

Change of seasons - nothing real extreme

Great educational institutions, like Wash U, SLU, SIUE and so on (forgive me for not listing them all!)

Beautiful Scenery! Rural or Metro (who can honestly say they don't love seeing the skyline with Arch in the background?)

The Cardinals and Busch Stadium

The Rams??? Hey, at least we have pro-football!

Great restaurants

Bike trails all over!

I LOVE ST. LOUIS!!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:28 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLMetro View Post
I think you are a little jaded to how California priced their homes before the recession. Premium homes in Lake St. Louis (and Ladue) go for the mid $3M's. You can get a 5 bed, 5 bath w/ 6,000 sq. ft. and panoramic views in the low $2M's in Santa Ana.

P.S. - Do you know you're spelling piranha incorrectly?
Intentional misspelling, goes back to a user name on another bulletin board about 10 years ago.

You can buy real nice lake front here in LSL for under 500K.

That thieving knucklehead from US Fidelis is building castle for $17m. Most homes in Lake Saint Louis are under 1M.

$600K would get you something "decent" in CA before the market dropped. Even now you really can't touch anything decent for under 450K.

That 2M in Santa Ana you mentioned is probably the Skyline Project (and they call it South Coast Metro to avoid any association with Santa Ana, even though that is where it is being built. That project is on hold, with many legal issues that need to be solved. Santa Ana, Ca is a Ghetto. It resembles Tijuana more than an American City. Even there the homes are priced over $300K.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,499,149 times
[i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarBelle View Post
Easy!

The Rams??? Hey, at least we have pro-football!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-27-2009 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: repair quote...

Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 PM

37 posts, read 121,839 times
St. Louis Magazine's "101 Things Every St. Louisan Must Do" really says it a lot better than I could:

Quote:
See
1. The Gateway Arch—it’s a given. But you’ve got to be there about 10 minutes before sunset, preferably in the spring or fall when the air is very, very clear.

101. A thin-crust Imo’s deluxe pizza, just made and hot enough to burn the roof of your mouth. (imospizza.com)

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-27-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: no copy 'n paste of articles... link + brief quote, thanks

Old 10-27-2009, 04:50 PM

37 posts, read 121,839 times
So that was your text-based description. Here are some great photos.

Comprehensive Photo Tour by JivecitySTL of the Urban St. Louis Forums:
Link (http://www.urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?t=4752 - broken link)

Tosspot's (UrbanSTL, Skyscraper Page) AMAZING threads on a handful of St. Louis neighborhoods.

The Urban St. Louis photography forum is a great resource for STL pictures: link (http://www.urbanstl.com/viewforum.php?f=24 - broken link)

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-27-2009 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: only your own personal photos - otherwise links to others'... thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis