Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 PM

114 posts, read 357,401 times

Advertisements

Just wonder which suburbs in St. Louis Metro area is a good place to live in terms of

- good public schools
- affordable cost of living (housing)
- shopping (have all major brand stores)
- not too bad traffic problems (commute)
- low property taxes

Please give some options to choose from. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbench View Post
Just wonder which suburbs in St. Louis Metro area is a good place to live in terms of

- good public schools
- low property taxes

Some $ numbers would help...

How much house can you afford, i.e., what is your definition of 'affordable housing'?

In what part of STL will you be working?

Excellent suburban school districts (not the whole list): Parkway, Rockwood, Pattonville, Lindbergh, Webster Groves. I must add a caveat: I'm not including Clayton, Ladue or Kirkwood because IMHO, there is no 'affordable housing' in those school districts. As a matter of fact, 'affordable housing' is most likely an oxymoron in the Rockwood school district which includes the municipalities of Chesterfield and Wildwood.

If you're coming from an area like DC, NYC or LA, traffic and commuting in the STL area is a breeze. "Not too bad traffic" is extremely subjective. Where are you coming from?

"Low property taxes" - compared to where?

inahandbasket

Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 AM

662 posts, read 1,048,482 times
Yeah, you can say those are oxymorons.

You really can't get a good school district without paying the pretty penny. You have "good" affordable suburban areas like Hazelwood, Bridgeton, but with O.K. school districts. However, the better schools are in more wealthy areas *note that the quality of shoppin areas go up in West County with the houses/school districts* so it really depends. Creve Couer is probaly one of the more affordable places in WEST County. YOu gonna live in a house or apartment?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:49 AM

102 posts, read 708,032 times
Sunset hills or crestwood. Lowest property tax rate in area I believe plus good schools and reasonable housing cost.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:26 PM

114 posts, read 357,401 times
Default more info

Thanks for so many helpful responses!

Maybe I should be more specific, I currently live in a nice suburb close to Memphis, TN and also work there as a data analyst.

I am thinking of moving to St. Louis and find a similar job in a big company (fortune 500).

The place where I live has property tax of $1.3 per 100
commute time about 15 min (9 miles)
high school ranks #1128 in recent usnews rankings
housing around 300k for a 3000 sq ft single family house
no state income tax

I wish the place I am going to move to have a IKEA and outlets (prime outlets, premium outlets)

Again thanks for your help in my searching!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:44 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Thanks for so many helpful responses!

Maybe I should be more specific, I currently live in a nice suburb close to Memphis, TN and also work there as a data analyst.

I am thinking of moving to St. Louis and find a similar job in a big company (fortune 500).

The place where I live has property tax of $1.3 per 100
commute time about 15 min (9 miles)
high school ranks #1128 in recent usnews rankings
housing around 300k for a 3000 sq ft single family house
no state income tax

I wish the place I am going to move to have a IKEA and outlets (prime outlets, premium outlets)

Again thanks for your help in my searching!
I think you will have plenty of options. Ballwin, Manchester area would be in the price range and you would be in Parkway schools, which are good. Kirkwood would probably be an option, but it is an older community with older, somewhat pricey homes. Sunset Hills/Crestwood would work too, as someone else pointed out. I believe the Lindbergh school district is considered pretty good these days. Farther south, Oakville. Farther southwest in Fenton/Eureka you would be in Rockwood School district, which is good.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Things will really depend on where you're working. The larger companies are scattered all over the St Louis Metro area. There's a lot downtown and in Clayton, but you also have to consider that there's places like Mastercard, with technology headquarters 30 miles from downtown in O'Fallon MO. There's a lot located along highway 270. Commute time and where you'll want to live will depend on where you work. Most people consider West County or St Charles County to be the best places to live. Chances are you'll have a commute longer than 15 minutes if you're working downtown, but if your job is in the suburbs, you could probably keep a similar commute time and afford a large house.

Also as a heads up...there's not an IKEA in St Louis, and the nearest Premium Outlet is in Lake of the Ozarks. There's St Louis Mills, but it's not quite as nice as some of the Prime Outlets I've been to.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 AM

4 posts, read 14,522 times
Arrow Go East Young one!

Quote:

- good public schools
- low property taxes

Look east to Edwardsville or Glen Carbon. For schools you will want Edwardsville housing options are the best in the region. You will find property taxes are higher in on the Illinois side of the river. The higher taxes provide better roads and infrastructure. Shopping is all there and some of the best restaurants in the region.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 13,087 times
agreed, I live in Ofallon,IL. Fairview hts, and parts of belleville are very nice. As the above poster said, edwardsville is a really nice town too,plus its like 15-20 to get downtown. It's also alot cheaper to get a nice house in ofallon/edwardsville, belleville, than in st. louis county.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 PM

5 posts, read 20,864 times
It depends on where you are working and how much of the "city life" you want in mixed with some quiet in addition to a good school district. I lived in Maplewood and LOVED it (I lived in 3 different neighborhoods)! Good school district and not too expensive at all. You can walk or ride your bike to Forest Park and have access to great restaurants, shops, coffee, grocery stores, and brewery on Manchester Road and on Clayton Road. I lived 1 minute away from I-64 (people from St. Louis call it Hwy 40) and about 5m from I-44 so I could easily jump on either and get out to west county. I personally wouldn't live in west county areas unless you want to spend a lot of time in the car. Where I lived it was technically the county but right across the street was the city line. I never had a problem with crime and I have friends that have small children in the area. There is one sketch part to avoid in Maplewood/Manchester area but it's very small and you'll recognize it. St. Louis is a great city! Especially if you choose the right area to live in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis