Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM

20 posts, read 63,397 times

Advertisements

In st louis you can do most of the same things you can do in other larger cities except you can usually do it more often here due to the lower cost of living (cheap housing, not many utilities due to modest climate, many free attractions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM

263 posts, read 530,312 times
-Very low cost of living
-Great housing stock
-Beautiful brick architecture
-Nice cultural attractions for a city of its size
-Forest Park

Old 11-24-2010, 06:37 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,915,722 times
I just had some good friends move to STL. from here in San Diego. They traded their tiny (but beautiful and well located) 1300 s.f. Spanish cottage for a spectacular 5500 s.f. 3 story Arts & Crafts home just N. of Washington U, in an amazing looking enclave of similar homes arrayed around curving streets (I don't know the area's name) for about $200k less than they sold!- and are settling in just fine.

As a gay, very urbane couple with very definitive social needs they seem to find S.L. not lacking at all in finding some cool places to explore and great people to meet and hang with. They have had mutual friends visit them already several times - (Hey, when you're a couple with a five bedroom house...) and came back with glowing reports of the area.

Since then I have become a bit of a lurker here and exploring some Google street view tours of the area. It looks like a great city to me- I love the parks, trees and great historic architecture- and I can't wait to visit.

I'm with the whole positive take on this thread, no place is perfect; all cities have challenges, areas good and bad- but focus on the good, try to invest in and improve the bad, and have some great fun enjoying the city and new friends where you make them. I can't imagine better tour guides that I will have with my buds to show me the best part of the city/area when I visit soon.

Last edited by T. Damon; 11-24-2010 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,601,985 times
I live walking distance to Wash U. I was going to buy downtown but fell in love with the amazing architecture surrounding forest park. A gay friend just transferred here from Houston. He said everyone here is so much more accepting than what he was experiencing in TX. However, he's a total wuss when it comes to the cold. Gotta get him a coat and scarf!

You really can live like a king here if you're used to coastal prices. Come visit, I'm sure you'll leave pleasantly surprised.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,915,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
I live walking distance to Wash U. I was going to buy downtown but fell in love with the amazing architecture surrounding forest park. A gay friend just transferred here from Houston. He said everyone here is so much more accepting than what he was experiencing in TX. However, he's a total wuss when it comes to the cold. Gotta get him a coat and scarf!

You really can live like a king here if you're used to coastal prices. Come visit, I'm sure you'll leave pleasantly surprised.
Well there is nothing like a fabulous scarf and coat (and a real need to layer) that will make more than a few of my brethren happy to display their fashion sense haha

Me, I'm as clothing challenged as they come (fortunately SD is as casual as it comes when it comes to clothes) so I'll just pack my L.L.Bean jacket when I check out your cool city ;-)

Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
I hope you'll have a chance to come and visit your friends soon! University Heights (that's the name of the neighborhood they're in) is one of my favorite places in St. Louis.

My old boss and his partner live in Chicago currently, but want to move to St. Louis and buy one of the painted ladies in Lafayette Square (another gorgeous neighborhood you should street view -- and of course visit for real!) They could buy a house similarly sized to your friends' place for what they would sell their Chicago condo for.

If you're casual person, I'm sure you'll love St. Louis. It has a nice mix of laid back urbanity that I'm a big fan of.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,230,150 times
As a recent resident...I'd have to say I've enjoyed the people and working class atmosphere. Lots to do, great sports teams, and affordable housing. To the long-time residents and natives--thanks for accepting outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis