Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best fit neighborhood
St. Charles 1 10.00%
SW St. Louis (Princeton Heights, Lindenwood, North/Southampton) 2 20.00%
West (Creve Coeur, Chesterfield) 3 30.00%
West Central (University City/Clyaton) 2 20.00%
North (Florissant, Blackjack, Spanish Lakes) 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,132 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to St. Louis possibly and need help finding a place to live. We will both be working at the Airport and don't mind commuting for a safe neighborhood. From our research we are looking to the west of the city and across the river in St. Charles, but need to know if its really a good place to go. Our budget is $150000 for a house, preferably a ranch style with a yard. Form what I've seen most of the homes are townhouse like with long skinny backyards. Is that the majority or just in the city? Any advice is really appreciated, thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Do you have kids? In other words, are you looking for good schools? How much yard are you looking for? Sounds like you want something that is not long and skinny maybe? More broad and open? How many bedrooms and bathrooms will you require? I think you have several good options which may or may not conform to the poll options. My first thought is Maryland Heights, because I personally hate long commutes and it is close to the airport, it has good schools, and I think you may find a decent ranch thereabouts with 1/3 an acre lot for 150. Maryland Heights kind of counts for West County I guess.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 5,132 times
Right now its just me and my wife but we are looking to start a family so really schools are not a huge concern, but of course we need to consider resale, you know just in case. Broad and open is more our style. The long and skinny doesn't seem to offer much privacy since most of what we've seen are 2 story houses in that case. As for what we are looking for a 3 bd 2ba and desired area is 0.25+ acre but can go down to .18 acre if that's more realistic. Maryland Heights has popped up in our research but seems like the 270 divide causes a big difference as far as crime stats a la neighborhood scout is concern, but what does that really mean is the question. Really appreciate the help.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_spurs View Post
My wife and I are moving to St. Louis possibly and need help finding a place to live. We will both be working at the Airport and don't mind commuting for a safe neighborhood. From our research we are looking to the west of the city and across the river in St. Charles, but need to know if its really a good place to go. Our budget is $150000 for a house, preferably a ranch style with a yard. Form what I've seen most of the homes are townhouse like with long skinny backyards. Is that the majority or just in the city? Any advice is really appreciated, thank you in advance.
I have not been in St Louis county long enough to give advice as to where to live except that in your list as for what you are looking for (safe and more spacious and a home for 150k) I think you can safely eliminate Clayton/University City, (homes are expensive and its more city-like than spacious) and Florissant (from what I've heard, not the safest area).

St Charles and Chesterfield would offer more space and less costly homes and probably pretty safe. The experts here can tell you more!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
That makes sense. I'm not an expert on crime by neighborhood in the areas mentioned, but I am pretty sure Maryland Heights, inside or outside 270, is super safe. There might be a dodgy apartment complex here or there but it is by and large middle class residential suburbia. I do not sense there is a great deal to fear from the vast majority of St. Charles or Florissant, either. You should get a lot of good insider views from others on this board, though, with more specifics. One last thought, if you want to stretch your budget right up the top of your price limit, and you don't mind living in a fixer upper, the northern reaches of Creve Couer would be another place to look for a bargain.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I voted for West. For $150k in Maryland Heights and surrounds, you should be able to get what you're looking for! Plus, the commute to the airport will be super easy. As for what Zach said- he's right, Maryland Heights is safe. I used to live there and never once had a problem! (I lived 'outside' 270 by the way- which is considered slightly better than 'inside' 270 but both are fine in the scheme of things)

Also, parts of unincorporated county between Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur may work.

Currently, I live in Florissant and it is fine too- even if some people give it a bad rap (obviously there are areas to stay away from, but a good realtor would be able to guide you in the right direction). With your budget, you'd get a lot of house for the money here- but resale values probably wouldn't be as good as in Maryland Heights / Creve Coeur, etc.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_spurs View Post
Maryland Heights has popped up in our research but seems like the 270 divide causes a big difference as far as crime stats a la neighborhood scout is concern, but what does that really mean is the question. Really appreciate the help.
neighborhood scout has some sort of screwup in their data where they are listing crime rates for north city in Maryland Heights and unincorporated county south of Maryland Heights.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,729 times
Default St. Charles MO 63303 and 63304

Hi, some idea of homes under 150000, ranches in St. Charles County... alot forthe money compared to St. Louis County

http://www.marismatrix.com/DE.asp?k=690571XKbJX&p=DE-6433909-324

Just to get you started!

Laura

Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
If software is telling you there's a major difference in crime inside and outside of I-270 i'd throw that software and whatever logic is being used to generate the results out. It's true that inside of I-270 will have quite a bit of crime compared to outside of I-270 (in the metro area) but the same would be true if you said "inside of I-370 has more crime) since it'll still incorporate all the areas inside of I-270, and the areas inside I-170, etc etc...it has mostly the city core + the surrounding areas. You'll be perfectly safe inside and outside of I-270 in St. Louis county so don't let that scare you off!

As to areas, I personally love NW County (Maryland Heights, Bridgeton, Hazelwood, St. Ann, etc). Great location to EVERYTHING. My wife and I were able to purchase a home here in 10' well within your budget...3 Bd 2 Ba, finished basement about 1600 SF including the finished portion of the basement, and a 3 Car garage. We're sitting on a 1/2 acre, and have great neighbors. Haven't experienced a lick of crime since we've been here...I take that back, there was a guy who acting "shadily" two houses down, all neighbors took up against him, called cops when suspicious vehicles showed up, and sure enough cops came in, did some digging, and took the guy away in cuffs...life's been great ever since! apparently he was moving some meth from his home....glad that's not in the neighborhood anymore! And I think all my neighbors are too!!!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 9,936 times
Ballwin and Ellisville are two other options as well.

http://www.marismatrix.com/DE.asp?k=...DE-6465379-710

You will get more home for the money in St. Charles County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis