Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,781 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My significant others job may be relocating to the St. Louis area. It looks like his new place of employment would be right near Maryville University. Being that we live in San Diego and both grew up in CA, we aren't sure what areas to look in as far as living goes. We are in our mid 20's no kids and enjoy going out now and then, but don't want to far of a commute (although living in San Diego I am not sure how the commute would relate to here). Any help, advice, thoughts are appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,323 times
Maryville is smack darn in the middle of one of the most exclusive areas in St. Louis called Town & Country. Compared to San Diego, you could live anywhere near the University and still be living for less than out there. The areas close by are Creve Coeur, Chesterfield, Ballwin, Wildwood, Des Peres, Maryland Heights and just a bit further west is St. Charles and OFallon. You will be happy in any of those places. For a little more commute you would be happy anywhere in St. Louis.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 PM

115 posts, read 481,644 times
Agree with Rick here for the most part. You should be able to find a nice place to live near Maryville. What the area doesn't offer is an overwhelming amount of places for "going out." The problem is that if you want to be closer to the nightlife of the city your husband will most likely be faced with the 64/40 reconstruction mess on his daily commute. It won't be fun. Some people will tell you to try and stay a bit to the north of Maryville U so you can go out in Westport (entertainment district). This is a great area to live in, but I don't consider Westport anything special for a night on the town. Definitely not worth factoring into where you're going to live. It really all depends on how bad you want to be near a nightlife scene. In any case, I think you'll find west county a very nice area to live.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,527 times
Default whoa

you are going to have a hard time coming from mountains and oceans and no humidity. i don't recommend this move for you. i am from the area and do like it, would move back to stl instead of san diego for friends, family, and the genuineness of midwestern people. but unless you appreciate those aspects of the st. louis region (and i hope you do/can), this will not be a move for you. on a scale of "best places to live" that measures weather, economics, etc., this is not the top place in the world, and if you are looking for that, it will not measure up to san diego. in intangibles stl can in my opinion, but it will be a shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrfan3 View Post
Hello all,

My significant others job may be relocating to the St. Louis area. It looks like his new place of employment would be right near Maryville University. Being that we live in San Diego and both grew up in CA, we aren't sure what areas to look in as far as living goes. We are in our mid 20's no kids and enjoy going out now and then, but don't want to far of a commute (although living in San Diego I am not sure how the commute would relate to here). Any help, advice, thoughts are appreciated!!

Old 10-06-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackie23 View Post
you are going to have a hard time coming from mountains and oceans and no humidity. i don't recommend this move for you. i am from the area and do like it, would move back to stl instead of san diego for friends, family, and the genuineness of midwestern people. but unless you appreciate those aspects of the st. louis region (and i hope you do/can), this will not be a move for you. on a scale of "best places to live" that measures weather, economics, etc., this is not the top place in the world, and if you are looking for that, it will not measure up to san diego. in intangibles stl can in my opinion, but it will be a shock.

I disagree. Maybe St. Louis isn't the top place in the world to live in, but I bet you'll find a few flaws with San Diego if you look at it too.

Yes, the humidity in the summer is miserable...but fall is amazing and winters aren't that bad at all. There will be cold spells but nothing like the upper midwest. Some snow, but all that much. Call me crazy, but I kind of like winter. You can always add another layer of clothes.

Also, if you are factoring economics, as you mentioned, St. Louis has a much lower cost of living and real estate prices than that of So Cal. If her husband already has a good job lined up then they can land a house here for tens of thousands of dollars cheaper than a comparable one in San Diego. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Most moves are what you make of it. If you leave home with a bad attitude you will be miserable, no matter where you move. I lived in St. Louis for a few years and really enjoyed it. If you go in with an open mind, and chalk everything up to new experiences than you might actually *gasp* enjoy it.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:45 AM

275 posts, read 1,125,189 times
Default It IS All about Attitude! St. Louis is Great!

I agree!!! Life isn't just about mountains and no humidity! In St. Louis, you can have a nice home, be surrounded by great midwesterners, and there is a lot to do in St. Louis - especially as a young couple with a little time and new-found money (thanks to not having to pay San Diego prices!).

I recommend a visit and quick tour of the area with a St. Louis REALTOR. A good agent can show you the towns and find you an area that meets your lifestyle, housing requirements and budget.

If I were in my twenties (oh, how I wish!), and with no kids I'd be excited to be coming to St. Louis. Get a referral from RickMG for a St. Louis agent, and come check out the area!

Best of Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvedderbest View Post
I disagree. Maybe St. Louis isn't the top place in the world to live in, but I bet you'll find a few flaws with San Diego if you look at it too.

Yes, the humidity in the summer is miserable...but fall is amazing and winters aren't that bad at all. There will be cold spells but nothing like the upper midwest. Some snow, but all that much. Call me crazy, but I kind of like winter. You can always add another layer of clothes.

Also, if you are factoring economics, as you mentioned, St. Louis has a much lower cost of living and real estate prices than that of So Cal. If her husband already has a good job lined up then they can land a house here for tens of thousands of dollars cheaper than a comparable one in San Diego. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Most moves are what you make of it. If you leave home with a bad attitude you will be miserable, no matter where you move. I lived in St. Louis for a few years and really enjoyed it. If you go in with an open mind, and chalk everything up to new experiences than you might actually *gasp* enjoy it.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,781 times
Quote:
The problem is that if you want to be closer to the nightlife of the city your husband will most likely be faced with the 64/40 reconstruction mess on his daily commute.
Thank you for everyone's replies both good and bad. We are trying to make an as informed decision as possible. We had some friends who moved out their for a while (he was going to med school at WashU and she ended up teaching in the inner city. We talked to them for about an hour last night and they really liked it, but did say that coming from CA, they don
t know if they would have stayed their forever. Currently living in San Diego we live more north and are currently 20-30 minutes from the nightlife downtown area which is okay with us. Would that be about the distance of the towns you are mentioning? What does the housing prices run in those towns?

Thank you all for your help, it's really apprciated!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrfan3 View Post
Thank you for everyone's replies both good and bad. We are trying to make an as informed decision as possible. We had some friends who moved out their for a while (he was going to med school at WashU and she ended up teaching in the inner city. We talked to them for about an hour last night and they really liked it, but did say that coming from CA, they dont know if they would have stayed their forever. Currently living in San Diego we live more north and are currently 20-30 minutes from the nightlife downtown area which is okay with us. Would that be about the distance of the towns you are mentioning? What does the housing prices run in those towns?

Thank you all for your help, it's really apprciated!
Normally that would be about the time it would take to get downtown from west county. The question is the construction of 40/64 and how much of a wrench that will throw into everything. Right now it's not a huge issue, but I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 AM

285 posts, read 1,068,480 times
I don't think the OP asked for the top place to live in the world, so I don't think that should be a problem. Perhaps someone who has lived in San Diego their entire life just isn't impressed with the mountains and ocean any more.

I lived in southern Illinois about 10 minutes to Rend Lake for 22 years (second largest man-made lake in IL) and drove over it every day and said "Yep. Nice lake." and then drove right on past.

I do agree, however, that humidity isn't fun.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 PM

33 posts, read 184,407 times
I think I can relate moving from Cali to St. Louis. I live smack dab in the middle of florida. Yes, I did just say "smack dab" didn't I? wow...my southern roots still shine at times! ha! Anyhow, I grew up with white sandy beaches(workin on them for many years), blue-green water, palm trees and warmth all year round....so moving to St. Louis is going to be an adjustment...but for us, it is the best job move and would help us financially. I'm particularly concerned with the winters myself. Summer...no biggie. I don't think you can beat Florida humidity. LOL. But, winter....um...I'm used to 40 being the lows with 60-70s for the highs during winter. My hometown sometimes got into the 30's in the panhandle near the beach. But, I'm really hoping to find something loveable about St. Louis and these boards do give me hope!! At least St. Louisians are proud of where they live...I notice a lot of people on the FL boards complain (Im not one of those however...I LOVE FL) but, I really like how the people seem to come across in Missouri...they seem to have a more postive attitude than the big "sunshine" cities we live in. I've been to San Diego and I LOVED it there too. I'm a sucker for beautiful cities and places...I'm a designer so I think eye candy goes with job. LOL! Anyway, so I'd love to hear more about when you move and how your adjustment goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis