Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 15,994 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are very seriously considering moving to St. Louis next summer from Indianapolis. We live in the burbs now in Indy and I hate it, just not my style. I would LOVE to live somewhere that I can walk to a grocery store, shopping, restaurants, parks are very important, can't afford anything more than $200k.

I've seen some really cool older homes in U. City, Tower Grove, those are the two areas that seem the most interesting (would love to live near Forest Park too but looks too expensive?).

My biggest concern, since I'm pretty sure both of those areas have all of the above...is crime. I know there is crime everywhere, but I am the kind of person that always thinks something bad is going to happen, so in this respect living "in the city" will be a huge change for me. Are these two areas safe at night, to walk alone as a female, to have young children? (Don't have kids yet but will start in the next couple of years, so schools not an issue for quite a while).

Is there somewhere else that I can get those things that would give me greater peace of mind about safety?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,871,831 times
Obviously the city is going to be more dangerous than suburbs (in most cases).

I've heard Tower Grove and University City are fairly safe, but I'm not sure exactly how much you're comfortable with.

Perhaps TGS (another member, stands for "Tower Grove South") could help you out more.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM

321 posts, read 1,006,627 times
I don't know the Tower Grove area, but I know U. City fairly well. Most of U. City is pretty safe (the further south the safer), but I am afraid that most of the nicer areas you would probably want to live in U. City would probably cost over your $200K limit. You should probably look between Delmar and Olive just west of Heman Park. I personally think much of U. City north of Olive is safe, but many other people do not feel likewise.

I am not sure how large of a home you want for your family, but if you are looking for an older community of charming (smaller) brick homes in an extremely safe and walkable neighborhood for under $200K, you could also look in Brentwood east of Brentwood Blvd. You couldn't ask for a more convenient location, but it is rather crowded and congested, especially with the highway 40 shutdown right now. Brentwood does have larger homes in the western half of the city (and some new construction on the eastern half of town) but those homes are all well over your $200K price. With the Brentwood Police popping up everywhere seemingly all the time you couldn't ask for a safer city, just don't get caught rolling past a stop sign or speeding past a school!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,797,516 times
It depends on where you live in U-city and Tower Grove. Typically, from what people say, Tower Grove South and U-city South/West/North(when west of Midland) are the safest areas ... but in my opinion, most of U-city is safe. It gets less diverse the further north or east that you go in U-city though, but the city as a whole is very diverse and moderately safe.

However, for the wants you listed, I would strongly suggest Central West End. You could walk to Straubs (sp?) for great groceries, be right by Forest Park, and walk to any resturant/bar that you would like to at any time of the day/night (that is - if you live on the east side of the park near Euclid. The north side of the park lacks resturants/bars for the most part and is mostly residential). The west side of the park is considered part of Clayton I believe, but there are groceries (Walgreens, Schnuks), and a few resturants/bars over there too. If your heart is set on a house in any of the CWE/Forest Park areas, you might be out of luck. But I would think (although I could be wrong), that a condo could be bought for 200k there. I rent an apartment in CWE, so I really don't know.

Also, like someone mentioned, Brentwood is a viable option if you live near the Galleria or near the Target/Whole Foods/etc. This is just south of 64 and Brentwood. That area is not quite as "city" or walkable, but is close to the city, busy with stores, and safe.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,703,465 times
I would live in Tower Grove South in a heartbeat, and I think it's a great option for you. But I wouldn't walk alone at night on the side residential streets as a woman. I live in a great, safe neighborhood in Chicago, but I don't walk alone at night on any but the most major of streets with lots of foot traffic. With a friend, with my SO -- no problem, but not alone.

If that's a deal breaker for you, I don't think the city is for you.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,725,414 times
Summoned twice in one week? Thanks STLCB!

If you are overly nervous about crime, then I do NOT recommend Tower Grove South for you. It is my beloved neighborhood, and the access to amenities is great, but I get the feeling that you would get freaked out by people wandering the alleys dumpster-diving, the groups of unsupervised children wandering around, and the petty crime. It is not that I think Tower Grove South is dangerous, but for someone who isn't used to urban living and has a nervous personality, it can be unnerving and I don't want to have you move to some far flung suburb in a year or two because you never get comfortable here.

For your price range, look at Dogtown, The Hill, Clifton Heights, North and South Hampton, Lindenwood Park, and St. Louis Hills. Basically look for anything in the 63109 and 63139 zip codes first, and then 63110 west of Kingshighway. You will be able to find a place withing walking distance of the amenities, and there are plenty of houses in your price range. These areas have very little crime and are comfortable for most people who aren't used to urban living. Dogtown is also on the south end of Forest Park, so if you want to be close, you won't have a problem.

What kind of house do you want? If you want a brick bungalow, I could list off 50 or more on the market right now that would work!
The Hill:
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate
Dogtown:
Clifton Heights:
Northampton:
Southampton:
Lindenwood Park:
St. Louis Hills:

Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,703,465 times
I think I've been away from the suburbs for too long, because if I don't stop and put myself in that situation, I often don't remember.

My problem with just about all of the neighborhoods TGS mentioned is that there's not a lot of stuff within easy walking distance. But what I forget is that there's a helluva lot more stuff within walking distance than where I grew up in the 'burbs and probably far more than the OP has in their suburb too.

Love that Clifton Heights home btw!

Wherever you end up in St. Louis, I know you'll find the urban feel that you've been missing.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,725,414 times
I don't know. Clifton Heights doesn't have all that many amenities within the neighborhood, but it is right next to The Hill, which is jam-packed with grocery stores and restaurants.

The other neighborhoods really do have a lot of bars, restaurants, and grocery stores within them. South Grand in Tower Grove South is hard to beat, but if you really think about how many shops are along Chippewa, Hampton, Kingshighway, McCausland, Macklind, and Jamison, these neighborhoods have a lot going on.

For example, consider the intersection of Hampton and Chippewa. This intersection separates St. Louis Hills, Southampton, Northampton, and Lindenwood Park. There is a Target, J.C. Penney, Wallgreens, Schnucks, Supermarket of Shoes, a record store, etc. Keep traveling south on Hampton and within three or four blocks there is a huge library, a number of local restaurants, and The Record Exchange. Go north on Hampton and there are flower nurseries, more restaurants, a dance studio, a veterinarian, etc. That is just a small selection of what is available in that one intersection alone. These neighborhoods also have a lot of little bars, coffee shops, and delis sprinkled throughout the residential areas.

These neighborhoods aren't as dense as Chicago by any means, but they have a lot more within walking distance than most people think.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,797,516 times
FWIW, I love dogtown when riding my bike through it. If I was actually staying here more than a few years, I would buy there.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 15,994 times
Thank you SO much guys! That is really helpful, I was reading through the other threads and that helped but it was nice to get replies for my specifics, I really appreciate it!

Hope to be neighbors sooner than later! ( :

How's this for fate...my husband's job here in Indy, one of the guys brought up a GREAT job at a company he used to work with that they need someone for but they'd have to move to STL and it pays six figures, and is a perfect fit....I think this is going to happen afterall one way or the other!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis