Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 07:43 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,173,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
They can't sub another athlete once the competition starts. If she pulls our of the All Around before the event, Jade Carey will get her spot. Mykayla Skinner would get her spot in the vault.
I'm taking dbout prior to the Olympics. If she knew she wasn't going to give 110%, she shouldn't have went
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 07:47 PM

7,211 posts, read 6,968,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So happy that Russia won. Their nation doesn't push the racial hatred that is now sanctioned in America today.
Russia is too busy pushing their territorial borders.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:49 PM

7,211 posts, read 6,968,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It could be this too, and we've seen champions perform poorly because of lack of preparation for their repeat championships in many sports.
Nastia Liukin in 2012 comes to mind.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:50 PM

7,069 posts, read 4,073,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
We don't watch sporting events to see people back out...well, maybe you do.
I don't watch sports to mock people when they fall short of their own, and/or other people's expectations. I used to be a competitive baton twirler, but only on a state/regional level, not National or World level. The LAST thing I am going to is to mock an athlete who has reached a level in their chosen sport that I have never reached myself, because I cannot understand what it is like to experience that kind of pressure.

Nobody on this forum should be throwing shade at her unless they have a sport dossier of their own that includes National, World and Olympic Championship titles.

I suppose you also think Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner should have competed in the pairs competition in Lake Placid in 1980 in spite of the fact that he had a leg injury (and a shot of xylocaine that number his entire leg) that would have put both of them at risk him for jump landings and her because he had to lift her. BTW, they were the reigning World Champions at the time, facing the defending Olympic Champions from the USSR (the female half of that pair had also won the Olympics with a different partner in 1972).

The 2008 Olympic All Around Champion was just discussing what happened right now on NBC. She even said competing could have been very dangerous for Simone. If you are performing an aerial skill like a vault and you lose where you are in the air (and she says that is very common) you are risking serious injury. Google the Thomas salto that was banned after a gymnast was paralyzed trying to attempt it in practice before the 1980 Gsmes (Elena Mukhina, the 1978 AA World Champion and one of the favorites for 1980). That's a perfect example.

I'm gutted for Simone, because I've been waiting 5 years for her to repeat as Olympic AA Champion, because that hasn't happened since Vera Caslavska in 1968). But she needs to do what is best for her health and safety. If that means pulling out of the individual events, then that's what it means.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
She has certainly earned her medals, and I agree that it's her choice as to when to step down. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion about it. I would not have thought any less of her if she had withdrawn from this Olympics prior to the start, and allowed someone else to take her place. But to quit during the competition, and leave her team in the lurch . . . yes, I do think less of her for that. Mental health is important, but so is perseverance in the face of adversity. But it seems that we've lost sight of that, nowadays.
Unless you've competed in a sport, especially gymnastics, at the same level she has, you have NOTHING valid to say about it. Your so-called opinion doesn't mean squat.

When your mental health is going to affect your ability to perform maneuvers as dangerous as the ones she would have been attempting, the smartest safest thing is to step back before you seriously injure yourself. She is LUCKY she was able to land that vault in the Final today. Gymnasts who have attempted less difficult vaults have ended up paralyzed.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:01 PM

16,735 posts, read 10,959,928 times
Quote:
I don't watch sports to mock people when they fall short of their own, and/or other people's expectations. I used to be a competitive baton twirler, but only on a state/regional level, not National or World level. The LAST thing I am going to is to mock an athlete who has reached a level in their chosen sport that I have never reached myself, because I cannot understand what it is like to experience that kind of pressure.

Nobody on this forum should be throwing shade at her unless they have a sport dossier of their own that includes National, World and Olympic Championship titles.

I suppose you also think Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner should have competed in the pairs competition in Lake Placid in 1980 in spite of the fact that he had a leg injury (and a shot of xylocaine that number his entire leg) that would have put both of them at risk him for jump landings and her because he had to lift her. BTW, they were the reigning World Champions at the time, facing the defending Olympic Champions from the USSR (the female half of that pair had also won the Olympics with a different partner in 1972).

The 2008 Olympic All Around Champion was just discussing what happened right now on NBC. She even said competing could have been very dangerous for Simone. If you are performing an aerial skill like a vault and you lose where you are in the air (and she says that is very common) you are risking serious injury. Google the Thomas salto that was banned after a gymnast was paralyzed trying to attempt it in practice before the 1980 Gsmes (Elena Mukhina, the 1978 AA World Champion and one of the favorites for 1980). That's a perfect example.

I'm gutted for Simone, because I've been waiting 5 years for her to repeat as Olympic AA Champion, because that hasn't happened since Vera Caslavska in 1968). But she needs to do what is best for her health and safety. If that means pulling out of the individual events, then that's what it means.
I am not mocking Simone Biles. I am expressing my disappointment in her actions. There's a difference. (And also, I did specifically state that withdrawing due to a physical injury is an entirely different situation from what she's done.)

Old 07-27-2021, 08:03 PM

16,735 posts, read 10,959,928 times
Quote:
Unless you've competed in a sport, especially gymnastics, at the same level she has, you have NOTHING valid to say about it. Your so-called opinion doesn't mean squat.
By your own admission, your level of sports achievement has not risen to Biles' level. So why are you offering an opinion?

Old 07-27-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
By your own admission, your level of sports achievement has not risen to Biles' level. So why are you offering an opinion?
Because I am not judging her in a negative fashion the way I see other posters doing here. *I* an saying she needs to do what is best FOR HER.

It's other people on this thread who are calling her a quitter. I'd love to see their competitive athlete C.V. listing how many National, World and Olympic Championships they've won.

The comparison made in this thread to Keri Strug is laughable. Strug didn't have to do that 2nd vault for us to win the gold in '96. They could've used her 1st vault score and she could've taken a zero for the 2nd vault, because the rules at the time said its the top score out of the two vaults that counts towards the score.

But, considering her personal coaches were the Karolyis (and Marta was one of the team coaches), who were famous for their physically and mentally abusive coaching tactics, it figures she was pushed to vault again and injure herself even more than she already was.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Please. The media crowned her their princess - the "face" of USA Olympic team 2020 - and we can't criticize her? Okay.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Lol!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports