Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2021, 08:16 AM

7,025 posts, read 4,037,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Simon Biles put her well-being over the results of a competition.

Good for her.

And to hell with the irrelevant finger-wagging nobodies who have somehow deluded themselves into thinking that this spectacle has squat to do with 'the team' or 'country' - they've gullibly swallowed the marketing hook, line and sinker.
Exactly. We're not in the USSR or GDR. American athletes don't win medals for a government that paid for their training and competition expenses. They don't owe the American public any gold medals, either. Jane and John Doe's life doesn't change bacause any athlete from their country won an Olympic gold medal.

But funny how the right wingnuts seem to be in love with the philosophy of the Communist sports machine all of a sudden. Push athletes until they break (sometimes literally), and don't give them the right to say when enough is enough.

They couldn't even decide their own futures in professional sports after they stopped competing. GDR's Katerina Witt wanted to skate professionally once she retired from competition, and the East German government said that IF she won a 2nd Olympics in 1988 (she had won in 1984), they "would consider her request." If not, forget it. Her coach's daughter, Gabby Seyfert, who had won the silver behind Peggy Fleming in 1968, had wanted to turn pro, and they didn't let her, because they didn't believe in the idea of sports as entertainment. Sports were meant for political means, to prove that the Communist system was superior to the Capitalist system. She retired without going to the 1972 Games, which she probably would have won, and became a coach.

I thought we in the USA were supposed to be anti-Communism, hmmmmm????

Last edited by ContraPagan; 07-31-2021 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 08:46 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,146,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
E

I thought we in the USA were supposed to be anti-Communism, hmmmmm????

I think there's a massive segment of society today that probably have more in common with communists than you want to admit or are aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Exactly. We're not in the USSR or GDR. American athletes don't win medals for a government that paid for their training and competition expenses. They don't owe the American public any gold medals, either. Jane and John Doe's life doesn't change bacause any athlete from their country won an Olympic gold medal.

But funny how the right wingnuts seem to be in love with the philosophy of the Communist sports machine all of a sudden. Push athletes until they break (sometimes literally), and don't give them the right to say when enough is enough.

They couldn't even decide their own futures in professional sports after they stopped competing. GDR's Katerina Witt wanted to skate professionally once she retired from competition, and the East German government said that IF she won a 2nd Olympics in 1988 (she had won in 1984), they "would consider her request." If not, forget it. Her coach's daughter, Gabby Seyfert, who had won the silver behind Peggy Fleming in 1968, had wanted to turn pro, and they didn't let her, because they didn't believe in the idea of sports as entertainment. Sports were meant for political means, to prove that the Communist system was superior to the Capitalist system. She retired without going to the 1972 Games, which she probably would have won, and became a coach.

Well what is the reason that she backed out?

"Twisties"?
She was "raped"?
Or "mental health"?

Or are there more excuses you guys want to throw at the dart board, to see what sticks?

Old 07-31-2021, 09:20 AM

7,025 posts, read 4,037,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I think there's a massive segment of society today that probably have more in common with communists than you want to admit or are aware of.
This thread, and the one in P&OC are proof of that, obviously. I wonder how well some of the posters here actually remember the Cold War from a sport POV?

Quote:

"Twisties"?
She was "raped"?
Or "mental health"?

Or are there more excuses you guys want to throw at the dart board, to see what sticks?
How about posting a response that actually addresses what I wrote in the segment that you quoted?

Typical response from someone with no valid counter argument.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:07 AM

5,526 posts, read 3,609,977 times
Quote:

"Twisties"?
She was "raped"?
Or "mental health"?

What if you were repeatedly raped as a young child/teen? Don't you think that could cause you some mental health issues in later years?

Old 07-31-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
repeatedly raped ?
Was she repeatedly raped by Nassar, or was there other abuse by other people prior to him? Did he actually rape her? I guess abuse is abuse, but we should at least try to be accurate about our terms here (I think rape is different from sexual abuse - though I am sure both bring with them trauma no matter).

I don't know what to say about it - it seems she excelled and won quite a lot after Nassar got his hands on her.

I'm ready to move on from her in this thread. I've said I am disappointed that she withdrew - I don't like when people who don't have legitimate mental health issues use it as a crutch to get out of responsibility. Not much more to say about it and like you all said, she couldn't care less about a person like me thinks about her. She is worth millions and I likely never will be, so she will be just fine I reckon.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:34 PM

1,619 posts, read 926,066 times
Belinda Bencic did what Martina Hingis could not do in the Olympics, win singles Gold!

Old 07-31-2021, 01:06 PM

29,587 posts, read 23,006,158 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG0CBsw150A

Old 07-31-2021, 03:41 PM

Watching this USA men's basketball team. Have to wonder - they are probably the least diverse team in the history of basketball (since I am guessing every single member of the team identifies as "black").

So much for "diversity is our strength", eh?

Old 07-31-2021, 04:18 PM

14,814 posts, read 14,819,692 times
Quote:
Watching this USA men's basketball team. Have to wonder - they are probably the least diverse team in the history of basketball (since I am guessing every single member of the team identifies as "black").

So much for "diversity is our strength", eh?
What a strange take. Do you think anyone on the Serbian roster identifies as anything other than “white”?

On another note, Shacarri Richardson really needs to stay off Twitter when she smokes.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
What a strange take. Do you think anyone on the Serbian roster identifies as anything other than “white”?

On another note, Shacarri Richardson really needs to stay off Twitter when she smokes.
You missed my point(s), completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports