Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 11:45 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,959,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Well said.

If you listened to her, you know exactly what is happening. She is having panic attacks. She has them because she was sexually abused in these exact situations and is being asked to perform and excel without any support systems with her. She calls them her demons.

She said she laid in bed and shook like a leaf for hours after her warm-ups yesterday morning. That's not stress, that's not nerves, that's a panic attack. If you have never had them, you have no idea what it feels like. If you have, you understand that you lose control of yourself in ways that are embarrassing, you are not in control of yourself.

Give this young woman some compassion and understanding. She has proven over and over and over how insanely strong she is mentally and physically.

Finally, someone who gets it.

I actually have had several panic attacks and, if hers are anything like mine were, she made the CORRECT choice.

The idiots flaming her would have rather seen her taking risks with her safety. By performing in the condition she was in, she may have made more serious mistakes and then they wouldn't have even gotten silver or maybe no medal at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 12:47 PM

7,031 posts, read 11,329,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

I actually have had several panic attacks and, if hers are anything like mine were, she made the CORRECT choice.

The idiots flaming her would have rather seen her taking risks with her safety. By performing in the condition she was in, she may have made more serious mistakes and then they wouldn't have even gotten silver or maybe no medal at all.
I have panic attacks too. It isn't the same as anxiety or nerves which are mental states you have some control over.

For those that haven't had one, a panic attack is a state in which your mind and body are not in touch with each other. I have been convinced during them I was suffocating, my throat was swelling, once I ended up lying on the ground because my limbs wouldn't move. I have had the "shake uncontrollably" type too. None of it was real, well the shaking was real, I was sore for a few days afterwards.

It is embarrassing to have it happen. You spend time apologizing to others around you for being irrational. You feel humiliated because you always think the next time you can will yourself to regain control, but most of the time you cannot. Often it is someone around you who has to point out you are having the attack, because the fear and feelings are real to you.

It was really hard to watch Biles go through it with millions watching. She couldn't break out of the cycle and kept trying all the way until she vaulted and lost herself in midair and barely landed on her feet. She came out of the training room with her gear on for the uneven bars. I am not sure how anyone who watched and listened didn't see her fighting through it and desperately trying to compete for her team since qualifying.

Again, I give her all the credit in the world for saying out loud she is struggling with mental, not physical, illness/injury right now. What "snowflake" or "soft young person" would tell the truth knowing so many people would judge her this way? There were easier ways out every step of the way, and she didn't take them.

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-28-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 01:03 PM

17,631 posts, read 17,717,231 times
Quote:
I have panic attacks too. It isn't the same as anxiety or nerves which are mental states you have some control over.

For those that haven't had one, a panic attack is a state in which your mind and body are not in touch with each other. I have been convinced during them I was suffocating, my throat was swelling, once I ended up lying on the ground because my limbs wouldn't move. I have had the "shake uncontrollably" type too. None of it was real, well the shaking was real, I was sore for a few days afterwards.

It is embarrassing to have it happen. You spend time apologizing to others around you for being irrational. You feel humiliated because you always think the next time you can will yourself to regain control, but most of the time you cannot. Often it is someone around you who has to point out you are having the attack, because the fear and feelings are real to you.

It was really hard to watch Biles go through it with millions watching. She couldn't break out of the cycle and kept trying all the way until she vaulted and lost herself in midair and barely landed on her feet. She came out of the training room with her gear on for the uneven bars. I am not sure how anyone who watched and listened didn't see her fighting through it and desperately trying to compete for her team since qualifying.

Again, I give her all the credit in the world for saying out loud she is struggling with mental, not physical, illness/injury right now. What "snowflake" or "soft young person" would tell the truth knowing so many people would judge her this way? There were easier ways out every step of the way, and she didn't take them.
Agree but this is the same person who proclaimed herself the GOAT and even had a goat emblem put on her outfit. I sympathize with the breakdown but I have difficulty sympathizing with her after her making such huge claims about herself publicly before the Olympics. Combine that with her history of international competition as well as having Olympic experience makes me wonder if this was a true breakdown or an excuse realizing she wouldn’t be able to compete at this level anymore especially with the changes in difficulty scoring made just because of her.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:00 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,163,539 times
Quote:
Really????? You need to do your damn research on the type of training "her generation" and before has received at the hands of adults who don't have a damn clue about child psychology. Do your research on Bela and Marta Karolyis and their draconian training tactics, both in the US and in their native Romania. And Marta's years as the Women's Team Coordinator for USAG. No one was sad to see her retire.

And let's not forget it was the USAG that DENIED the allegations against Larry Nassar FOR YEARS, allowing a pedophile posing as the team doctor to abuse hundreds of pre age of consent gymnasts. And the excrement is still hitting the fan in regards to that scenario, even now.

I'm done with your idiocy. People who don't actually follow this sport shouldn't even be commenting.
Quote:

Can you dial back the rage and name calling? No one is calling you an idiot.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:05 PM

10,071 posts, read 7,250,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Agree but this is the same person who proclaimed herself the GOAT and even had a goat emblem put on her outfit. I sympathize with the breakdown but I have difficulty sympathizing with her after her making such huge claims about herself publicly before the Olympics. Combine that with her history of international competition as well as having Olympic experience makes me wonder if this was a true breakdown or an excuse realizing she wouldn’t be able to compete at this level anymore especially with the changes in difficulty scoring made just because of her.
Or both. Although I wouldn't call it an "excuse."

She performed some of the best gymnastics ever in various world championships and the 2016 olympics.

She had various mental health issues, admitted due to them she took off more training time in 2020 since she started the sport. Now she knows, both physically and mentally she is not there, and all this pressure is on to not only be great but better than she was before.

Yeah, that might give me some panic attacks. I take her at face value that she couldn't just power through it. I'm sure she wanted to. This was more than just an athlete having jitters or worrying about getting older.

I hope this has an impact on people admitting mental health struggles, and realizing that mental and physical health are connected.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:44 PM

7,031 posts, read 11,329,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Do you understand she is the GOAT before these Olympics ever started?

She hasn't lost in 8 years, even with judges changing the scoring system to make the final totals look close. If there is an argument that she isn't the greatest ever, feel free to make it. This isn't LeBron chasing Jordan, this is Jordan coming back with the Wizards. You are certainly free to feel what you want about any athlete embracing the GOAT question, but it isn't like Simone crowned herself. She is just not as coy about wearing it like say, Jordan does.

https://www.newsweek.com/simone-bile...ympics-1612212

The biggest question from me is "Did you watch?" If so, what did you see? I saw her put up the best score among all gymnasts in qualification despite barely being able to land her routines. If this was all a huge excuse, it was the world's worst stage show, specifically the constant danger she was putting herself in by flying all over the place + still having the highest all around total in prelims + the continued and ultimately failed attempts to get out there and keep trying in the Team Final.

If you can't "sympathize" with her, maybe just listen to what she is saying and try to understand what is happening to her now, and how it connects to what happened to her in the past. It isn't a big mystery, she is transparent about the abuse, the demons, the struggles, and as of typing this, still trying to compete on the apparatus Finals.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:35 PM

17,631 posts, read 17,717,231 times
Quote:
Do you understand she is the GOAT before these Olympics ever started?

She hasn't lost in 8 years, even with judges changing the scoring system to make the final totals look close. If there is an argument that she isn't the greatest ever, feel free to make it. This isn't LeBron chasing Jordan, this is Jordan coming back with the Wizards. You are certainly free to feel what you want about any athlete embracing the GOAT question, but it isn't like Simone crowned herself. She is just not as coy about wearing it like say, Jordan does.

https://www.newsweek.com/simone-bile...ympics-1612212

The biggest question from me is "Did you watch?" If so, what did you see? I saw her put up the best score among all gymnasts in qualification despite barely being able to land her routines. If this was all a huge excuse, it was the world's worst stage show, specifically the constant danger she was putting herself in by flying all over the place + still having the highest all around total in prelims + the continued and ultimately failed attempts to get out there and keep trying in the Team Final.

If you can't "sympathize" with her, maybe just listen to what she is saying and try to understand what is happening to her now, and how it connects to what happened to her in the past. It isn't a big mystery, she is transparent about the abuse, the demons, the struggles, and as of typing this, still trying to compete on the apparatus Finals.
I am not comfortable calling ANY athlete GOAT. I am comfortable saying they’re the greatest of their era and placing them among the greatest in their sport. There are competitions, science, training methods, and equipment today that was never available in the past. To say one is GOAT is to diminish the efforts the greats of the past as well as the hardships they had to endure and overcome that aren’t experienced by athletes of today.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:40 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
My criticism toward Biles wasn't that she quit. If she felt uncomfortable, she was free to do so. My beef was her timing. Her behavior was selfish. She was part of a team. She, an elite athlete most of her life, knew for a while she was "off" (for whatever reason.) She could have dropped out before. But in the era of me, myself, and I, she's supposedly a hero for letting her team down when it counted the most. And in true "Everyone's a winner" form, she still received a team medal. For what? I'm no Simone Biles. I'm just a regular person. But I (and most others) don't receive props for quitting, only for persevering and getting the job done. The true heroes are the other team members who stepped up and performed all their routines, even the ones they were weakest at. And they still took home the silver.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:49 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,959,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Lol at all of the support and comments coming to her aide about this move. IMO quitting is about as weak as it gets.. In retrospect team USA Today just makes Kerri look that much stronger.

No it doesn't. The US did not need her to vault because mathematically we had already won the competition. After she fell in the 1st vault, which is when she initially injured herself (the 2nd attempt exacerbated the injury) they should have pulled her from the competition.

What she did wasn't heroic it was stupid.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:51 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,837,747 times
Quote:

I've had them periodically since 2013, when I was 24. They're a b***h. I was on the road the first time it hit me. My abdomen locked up, my hands and face were numb and tingling, and my heart rate was over 100. I thought for sure I was having a damn heart attack. I called someone to come get me. I'll never forget that day. I still can't figure out how the hell that happened, since I wasn't stressed at all.

The attacks eventually caused me problems. I started having PVC's (premature ventricular contractions), sinus tachycardia, and high blood pressure spikes. One night in December 2018, my BP suddenly shot up to 183/112. I took a trip in an ambulance (the first of many). It snowballed from there. My doctor put me on propranolol to keep my PVC's, heart rate, and BP under control. It worked for a while, but my BP started to spike again, so he added losartan in addition to the propranolol. That took care of it, though I still have a minor spike occasionally. I also quit caffeine cold turkey. I've never smoked or drank.

As for the panic attacks, I rarely get them now and even when I get them, the effects are nowhere as bad as they used to be (knock on wood ). I think the propranolol had a lot to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports