Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,173,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Do you think the over saturation of events/sports is contributing to the lower ratings? They keep adding more and more sports. It’s impossible to watch all of them live.
It could be.

You are right - there are events i'd like to see but they don't put it on.

I don't like (or agree with) this idea now that I keep hearing that they feel they need to "draw a younger audience" and likewise are adding events like skateboarding, BMX and surfing.

Leave the X Games stuff in the X Games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 09:29 AM

390 posts, read 183,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I've had them periodically since 2013, when I was 24. They're a b***h. I was on the road the first time it hit me. My abdomen locked up, my hands and face were numb and tingling, and my heart rate was over 100. I thought for sure I was having a damn heart attack. I called someone to come get me. I'll never forget that day. I still can't figure out how the hell that happened, since I wasn't stressed at all.

The attacks eventually caused me problems. I started having PVC's (premature ventricular contractions), sinus tachycardia, and high blood pressure spikes. One night in December 2018, my BP suddenly shot up to 183/112. I took a trip in an ambulance (the first of many). It snowballed from there. My doctor put me on propranolol to keep my PVC's, heart rate, and BP under control. It worked for a while, but my BP started to spike again, so he added losartan in addition to the propranolol. That took care of it, though I still have a minor spike occasionally. I also quit caffeine cold turkey. I've never smoked or drank.

As for the panic attacks, I rarely get them now and even when I get them, the effects are nowhere as bad as they used to be (knock on wood ). I think the propranolol had a lot to do with that.
so obviously this wasn't happening to her at the event. Because we would've seen signs of that , she would've had medical intervention from the team doctors/physios right?

she's surrounded by all those US Olympic people, right?

and even if something like that did happen at the hotel she either was recovered or not. if not, don't go, but she quit at the event and had no such "panic" attack.

invoking "mental health" nowadays is like invoking "family" or "the children" , your not supposed to be able to say anything back using critical thinking, like that word or phrase has magical powers and the person who said it can't be criticized.

No different than the best pitcher in MLB skipping the all-star game so he can "spend time with his family" , never mind the fact that he literally has like half the year off plus home games to spend with his family, he's got wayyyyy more time off than the average person in this country. But he invoked "family" so you can't complain.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:13 PM

4,016 posts, read 4,107,117 times
I think the coverage stinks. The timing bugs me too. I haven't seen any good backstories on the new sports or athletes.

I do try to tune in now and then and watch a bit. I couldn't get into the canoe/kayak events, even though I tried, I found it confusing to figure out how they were going through the gates.

The swimming and gymnastics are still great to watch though.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 PM

29,630 posts, read 23,152,927 times
China's Shi repeated as gold medal winner and also set a world record in the 73 kg weight class.

His push jerk technique in the clean and jerk is something to behold (436.5 lbs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pocls7mxS0

Old 07-29-2021, 07:02 PM

29,630 posts, read 23,152,927 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f08Doq8ob-w

Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 PM

766 posts, read 870,958 times
Is it just me or am I the only one that prays the that the US women's gymnastics fails miserably? They are just disgusting..

Old 07-29-2021, 08:52 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,173,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Is it just me or am I the only one that prays the that the US women's gymnastics fails miserably? They are just disgusting..
As an American, I root against a lot of our athletes/teams. First and foremost, the anti-American motley crew that is the USA women's soccer team.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:57 PM

2,092 posts, read 1,638,657 times
I wasn't that thrilled by Suni Lee's final round; obviously it fulfilled enough requirements to give her the gold; but I thought the Brazilian girl's performance, though flawed, was more exciting. But huge congratulations to them both; glad to see a Brazilian medal in gymnastics.

I kinda hate to think of what those girls are doing to their ankles when they do those landings, though; it looks rough.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:27 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,137,845 times
NBC's coverage gets worse every Olympiad. Years ago they used to show more about athletes from all countries. They would show the medal ceremony of the big sports even if no American medaled.

I was watching men's swimming. The NBC announcer was touting the American swimmer. Former swimmer Rowdy Gains said the swimmers to watch were from country X & Y. Announcer said something about going against the plan. I'm as American as anyone but I want to see the best wherever they're from.

As long as I'm criticizing, I don't think professional players like Naomi Osaka or NBA players should go to the Oympics. Leave it to athletes that are not wealthy professionals.

As for Biles. I'm sure she would have competed if she were able. Mental illness is real and can't be willed away.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:24 AM

8,972 posts, read 5,473,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post

As long as I'm criticizing, I don't think professional players like Naomi Osaka or NBA players should go to the Oympics. Leave it to athletes that are not wealthy professionals.
I would not have put golf into the Games. Tennis doesn't belong there, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports