Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 02:05 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,318,610 times

Advertisements

An incredible, jaw-dropping recovery in track and field: Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands was knocked down in her first-round 1500m prelim but flew through the last 300m to win.

https://youtu.be/00HNqONKsw8?t=183
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 03:11 PM

8,944 posts, read 4,698,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Holy moly, that's without doubt THE most impressive race in track so far.

Karsten Warholm of Norway obliterated his own world record from earlier this year in the 400 meters hurdles, breaking the magic 46 second barrier with a time of 45.94. It was one of the most gutsiest races I've seen, Karsten blew out of the blocks and led for most of race. Rai looked like he might overtake Karsten after the final hurdle but somehow Karsten gutted out the win.

Rai Benjamin of the U.S. went under the former world record as well, the second fastest time ever. Third place finisher deSantos of Brazil went under 47 seconds as well for bronze.
This is certainly a clear sign that we are at the end times....

Old 08-03-2021, 08:39 PM

29,589 posts, read 23,048,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
This is certainly a clear sign that we are at the end times....
The women's 400 meters hurdles was also fabulous.

Americans Sydney McLaughlin and Dalilah Muhammad both finished 1-2, and both went under McLaughlin's world record set a few months ago.

Muhammad took it out fast and led for most of the race, a truly gutsy effort. Sydney caught her after the last hurdle.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:20 AM

4,906 posts, read 7,049,200 times
Quote:
The women's 400 meters hurdles was also fabulous.

Americans Sydney McLaughlin and Dalilah Muhammad both finished 1-2, and both went under McLaughlin's world record set a few months ago.

Muhammad took it out fast and led for most of the race, a truly gutsy effort. Sydney caught her after the last hurdle.
Both the men's and women's 400 hurdles races (along w/the pole vault for personal reasons) to me are the highlight of the Olympics Track & Field so far. Talk about drama and pure guts.

The silver medal in the pole vault by Chris Nilsen was amazing in that he broke his personal best and nearly unseated the world record holder PLUS, he's a U. of South Dakota Coyote.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,838,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkamies View Post
Everybody called me not to comment on biles here what now. It is a miracle she cured from mental illness like naomi and press cofeence. Lol what now people have to say she was mentaly ill few days ago now she is just fine.or is it that she used mentall illness b.s to cover her pore performance lol pathetic to use serios disease to cover for her having a off day
The fact is she takes dextroamphetamine regularly, which is illegal in Japan.
Therefore she could not take it on time when she traveled to Tokyo.
She also takes methylphenidate.

Why US media avoided talking about such a fact?

https://www.insider.com/simone-biles...ormance-2021-7

Old 08-04-2021, 02:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,838,490 times
Also, I believe it is legitimate to take medicines to control ADHD; however, we also know those medicines do enhance performance, which gives them an edge.
Therefore it is difficult to find a boundary.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:17 PM

4,008 posts, read 4,092,974 times
Quote:
Just saw Gabrielle Thomas qualify for the semifinals of the 200 meters sprint. My heart flutters every time I see this stunning beauty run.
She is really something.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:51 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,928,576 times
Dang, Matthew Centrowitz the defending U.S. olympic 1500 champ didn't make the finals. Cole Hocker did though & he has a good kick which at times for 1500 finals races is all you need to medal, since finals is often a slow & tactical race (see 2016).

Old 08-05-2021, 07:47 AM

7,629 posts, read 6,175,538 times
Well, I set the DVR to record some events, and again, thanks to NBC affiliates, what was listed on the description was NOT the same as the event shown.

SO a few questions remain unanswered.

1 Do Olympic Wrestlers from Mexico wear masks in competition ?

2 Who won the MARCO POLO tournament ?

3 MEXICO get a Rematch against the JAPANESE for the Soccer Bronze Medal. I had predicted GOLD for the Mexican team, but alas, this is NOT a gold year for Mexico.

4 Skateboarding looks like fun, so long as HELMETS are included. But what about all those varieties of bicycles?

And Finally, Some of the events on TV just were not as interesting as the Pro Rode on the Cowboy Channel. My old lady walked by and jokingly said "Oh they have rodeo in the Olympics?" I had to explain that the Olympic broadcasts were uninteresting to me so I was watching Rodeo instead. Some of those Cowgirls that do barrel races are HOT too.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:11 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,153,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The fact is she takes dextroamphetamine regularly, which is illegal in Japan.
Therefore she could not take it on time when she traveled to Tokyo.
She also takes methylphenidate.

Why US media avoided talking about such a fact?

https://www.insider.com/simone-biles...ormance-2021-7
Her story/excuse has changed several times. First it was "anxiety/depression/mental illness"; then it was "twisties"; then it was "rape". Now it's "medication"?

Granted I think some of those things could be related, it would be nice if different excuses were getting blamed.

Anyways, congrats to her. She got a couple more medals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports