Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 02:40 PM

8,271 posts, read 3,828,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The dumbest event I have ever seen apparently is getting the axe....because there isn't a female equivalent, of all reasons.

Because god forbid men and women don't all have an event - even if women (or men) don't really much care about said event.

I feel bad for the Japanese. They got s---wed. They should get the Olympics back in 3 years, IMO. All their tax dollars to build all that infrastructure, and not one Japanese was allowed to watch one event (at least who weren't part of staff). That is a tragedy, in my view.

Furthermore, I think at some point in the future, the Games should be held at the same venue every year. Greece, since that's where the Games began. The billions and billions that nations flush down the toilet to build infrastructure for this spectacle is a crime against humanity, in my opinion.
1. It's been in the Olympics for a long time, they should have just left it in place.

2. Actually a lot of stuff should have been never brought in: golf?!, baseball, softball, skateboarding, etc. And to think about it, there were going to remove wrestling at some point..

3. Hmmm, Greeks would not agree to that, at least all that I know. But yes, there is very often a huge waste, infrastructure should be utilized later for other purposes/events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 02:44 PM

8,271 posts, read 3,828,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
Nothing

But

Commercials

someone strangle that Peacock!!!

garbage as always.
I would always take uninterrupted feed over everything else, no commercials, no "documentaries" or whatever you want call them, no studio discussions. But since this is not feasible, I would just switch to another channel, with something else ongoing, if it's of interest.

Old 08-07-2021, 02:50 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,173,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Well, let's see! In Olympic baseball, the the US team is not diverse and they couldn't even whip Japan (GOLD). But I'm happy they got a medal.
I'd be willing to bet that they're more diverse than the men's b-ball team.

But that never was my point.

My only point is "diversity is everything" is what these people sell all of us, but they are 100% hypocritical on the matter when the chips are down.

As I said, we could have made our b-ball team MUCH more diverse, but obviously that isn't as important as they tell us all it is.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:13 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,366,770 times
I am sure there have been many positives for many people coming from these Olympics.

The Japanese must be so relieved to have got them presented and fortunately it is a wealthy country that can probably absorb the cost better than many.

I expect that Australia is not the only country in lockdown where people have really enjoyed watching the events. Our highest rating was for the final which Peter Bol ran in.

https://apple.news/AL69s3vA0RzKVjklKn2bHhw

Old 08-07-2021, 07:43 PM

3,615 posts, read 1,706,409 times
14 year old Chinese diver takes gold with 2 perfect 10 dives...WOW

For some reason not embedding...link here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXg30_BgOEQ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QXg30_BgOEQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXg30_BgOEQ

Old 08-08-2021, 12:48 AM

8,900 posts, read 8,605,674 times
Team USA pulled through in the end and overtook China in medal tally, which is excellent.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:55 AM

42,164 posts, read 75,904,614 times
I really enjoyed both basketball gold medal games. The men's final was a terrific game. The women's final wasn't close, but the Japanese women never gave up.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:17 PM

3,615 posts, read 1,706,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Team USA pulled through in the end and overtook China in medal tally, which is excellent.
Yep...we just best them in gold medals too although I think they won gold in just about all diving events.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:59 PM

30,969 posts, read 18,792,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Yep...we just best them in gold medals too although I think they won gold in just about all diving events.
It is curious to me the importance that some commentators have placed on gold medals over everything else. Yes, gold medals are important (as they should be), but it was silly to me to argue that--had the US not surpassed China for gold, for example, but was two short yet had 25 more medals than China in total--the US would not have been seen by many as the more successful country in the Olympics.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:06 PM

14,484 posts, read 12,092,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
14 year old Chinese diver takes gold with 2 perfect 10 dives...WOW
Something about her made me uncomfortable. Made me remember when gymnasts were competing in the Olympics and World Championships who were supposedly 14 (then the age limit) but may very well have been younger. They looked a lot like this Chinese diver. Tiny, thin, prepubescent, and generally unsmiling. The pressure on these very young girls was tremendous. Basically their entire lives were spent at a training facility. I was glad when certain countries were charged with competing underaged athletes, and the age limit was changed to 16. I wish they would do that for diving as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports