Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:20 PM

1,548 posts, read 871,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I was just giving examples of sports that have a very small niche.

The fact that you (or I) individually care (or don't care) about any sport is irrelevant. Noted... you like women's curling. The fact is, there aren't enough people in the world who feel the same way to justify the Olympics without subsidizing it. This isn't subjective.
I don't mind if more sports get exposure if it means subsidy. Popularity is no reason to deny the sport their limelight. And I'm not interested in discussing the validity of the Olympics. If you don't like it, I don't see any reason it should affect you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 09:06 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I don't mind if more sports get exposure if it means subsidy. Popularity is no reason to deny the sport their limelight. And I'm not interested in discussing the validity of the Olympics. If you don't like it, I don't see any reason it should affect you.
Well, if you want to subsidize women’s curling competitions because they can’t sell advertising or tickets, then go for it. But when the taxpayers of a country, state, or city are on the hook for it against their will, it can become problematic.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:13 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
You're acting like you're the center of the universe. What people like and not care for are different. I don't care for horse racing, but that doesn't mean I condemn it's existence.
Exactly I do not care for Nascar, so I just do not watch it. But I know that many people absolutely love it. I know one person who is of the opinion that if he does not like something, then it should not exist nd anyone who does like it has something seriously wrong with them.

SO I don't like NASCAR? Big deal. I am GLAD so many other people do. I hope they do at least.

There are a few events in the Olympics of which I do not care for, but it is very hard to not at least have some stop and watch interest after seeing how passionate the athletes themselves are.

When I was younger, I had bad asthma, was undersized, football then did not work out (which was my dream sport) but the local YMCA had fence- I mean SWORDFIGHTING so I got really good with Epee and once beat the instructor in Saber. I was about average at Foil, but it was at last a sport that having small size and inadequate lung function still allowed me to perform, not to mention the increased development is agility and hand-eye coordination.

There is another event we in America will never see mentioned, and that is the fascinating sport of Modern Pentathlon. General Patton was an Olympic Pentathlete He lost because he got a lame horse. The idea was to replicate a soldier delivering a message behind enemy lines...ride a horse to escape, shoot a pistol at a target, pull out an Epee and SWORD FIGHT someone, then run on foot (cross country) before jumping into a waterway and swimming to the other side. The event sounded fascinating to me when our instructor heard about it, the problem was I had tried cross country running and after becoming so familiar with the respiratory therapy staff at the ER to the point that they sent me home with my own supplies to bring in each time, I abandoned
the dream. In college I was on a shooting team and really good with a pistol though.

Interesting event, so much so that some crybaby from the US Olympic council lobbied to remove it because Americans do not ever win it, and sadly, winning is ALL that matters to some people. Forget the International gathering, the learning of cultures, the friendships formed, the spirit of the competition, the different games and styles....some people want to remove something where they have no chance of winning. Wah Wah.

Which is why I refuse to watch men's basketball. We went to a basketball game between Australia and Puerto Rico at the 1996 Olympics. The game was evenly matched and never more than a 5 point difference, back and forth, at any time. It was a perfectly good basketball game. We thoroughly enjoyed it. All I heard though from a few select people (family members and dysfunctional friends) was "Why didn't you go to see the Men's team USA?" What excitement is there in watching pros from the USA beat the amateurs from the Northern Republic of Gondola final score 167 to 23?
It is WAS fun when college players made up the teams. Not so much anymore, because the competition is Skewed when Gazillion dollar ALL stars play against decent players from a nation where basketball is not even the main sport.

I do wish They had less talking from announcers during the events. And I can do without the human interest stories which are 98 % about some American athlete, like "Oh he was born with 2 heads but now competes in competitive mole tunneling and is the only Mole Tunneller from Muleshoe Kansas....."

So Let me correct something no one noticed and corrected me yet on. (I am not perfect, sorry) In my initial post #1 I mistakenly transcribed the Wrong umber on Covid deaths worldwide. The total Case load is 191 Million but total deaths is 5 Million.....Not 191 Million
The point is, it still sucks for 191 people and their families regardless though. We had it two of us were in the hospital and 3 of us had pneumonia. yes it sucked.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Well, if you want to subsidize women’s curling competitions because they can’t sell advertising or tickets, then go for it. But when the taxpayers of a country, state, or city are on the hook for it against their will, it can become problematic.
There is a lot of things people are not going to be happy about their tax dollars being used for. That's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Exactly I do not care for Nascar, so I just do not watch it. But I know that many people absolutely love it. I know one person who is of the opinion that if he does not like something, then it should not exist nd anyone who does like it has something seriously wrong with them.

SO I don't like NASCAR? Big deal. I am GLAD so many other people do. I hope they do at least.

There are a few events in the Olympics of which I do not care for, but it is very hard to not at least have some stop and watch interest after seeing how passionate the athletes themselves are.

When I was younger, I had bad asthma, was undersized, football then did not work out (which was my dream sport) but the local YMCA had fence- I mean SWORDFIGHTING so I got really good with Epee and once beat the instructor in Saber. I was about average at Foil, but it was at last a sport that having small size and inadequate lung function still allowed me to perform, not to mention the increased development is agility and hand-eye coordination.

There is another event we in America will never see mentioned, and that is the fascinating sport of Modern Pentathlon. General Patton was an Olympic Pentathlete He lost because he got a lame horse. The idea was to replicate a soldier delivering a message behind enemy lines...ride a horse to escape, shoot a pistol at a target, pull out an Epee and SWORD FIGHT someone, then run on foot (cross country) before jumping into a waterway and swimming to the other side. The event sounded fascinating to me when our instructor heard about it, the problem was I had tried cross country running and after becoming so familiar with the respiratory therapy staff at the ER to the point that they sent me home with my own supplies to bring in each time, I abandoned
the dream. In college I was on a shooting team and really good with a pistol though.

Interesting event, so much so that some crybaby from the US Olympic council lobbied to remove it because Americans do not ever win it, and sadly, winning is ALL that matters to some people. Forget the International gathering, the learning of cultures, the friendships formed, the spirit of the competition, the different games and styles....some people want to remove something where they have no chance of winning. Wah Wah.

Which is why I refuse to watch men's basketball. We went to a basketball game between Australia and Puerto Rico at the 1996 Olympics. The game was evenly matched and never more than a 5 point difference, back and forth, at any time. It was a perfectly good basketball game. We thoroughly enjoyed it. All I heard though from a few select people (family members and dysfunctional friends) was "Why didn't you go to see the Men's team USA?" What excitement is there in watching pros from the USA beat the amateurs from the Northern Republic of Gondola final score 167 to 23?
It is WAS fun when college players made up the teams. Not so much anymore, because the competition is Skewed when Gazillion dollar ALL stars play against decent players from a nation where basketball is not even the main sport.

I do wish They had less talking from announcers during the events. And I can do without the human interest stories which are 98 % about some American athlete, like "Oh he was born with 2 heads but now competes in competitive mole tunneling and is the only Mole Tunneller from Muleshoe Kansas....."

So Let me correct something no one noticed and corrected me yet on. (I am not perfect, sorry) In my initial post #1 I mistakenly transcribed the Wrong umber on Covid deaths worldwide. The total Case load is 191 Million but total deaths is 5 Million.....Not 191 Million
The point is, it still sucks for 191 people and their families regardless though. We had it two of us were in the hospital and 3 of us had pneumonia. yes it sucked.
I'm sure some of those crybabies wouldn't want handball to be included. The official death tally is just over 4.1 million, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's undercounted.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:20 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I will watch the Olympics, I have for many years and will continue to do so. I do feel bad for these athletes who have trained most of their life for their sport only to have their Olympic experience diminished.

One thing I want to point out in your original post. 191 Million (192,489,942 to date) people worldwide have contacted covid, 4,137,505 have died.
YES TY I Corrected that in the last post Sometimes I get in a hurry, or Dyslexicik or somethings

I also often accidently see thangs SDRAWKCAB

Now on to Tokyo and my favorite events

Since Japanese People love Star Wars, LIGHTSABER will be a Demo sport this year.

In addition to Greco-Roman, and Olympic Wrestling, we need

Professional Rasslin'

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh wait

Tug of war is no longer an event not since 1920 My bad.
It still is around here at times though

And of course, the other favorite is women playing beach Volleyball

Old 07-22-2021, 02:27 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
There is a lot of things people are not going to be happy about their tax dollars being used for. That's life.

Did I say otherwise? Or am I just pointing out that I'd be totally fine with the Olympics going away permanently?

If someone opposes using tax dollars to build a stadium, are they allowed to be fine if a stadium construction deal falls through?

Old 07-22-2021, 05:17 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
I have the opening ceremonies set to record. I know Japan has the capabilities to put on a meaningful and entertaining show. I’m not a big sports fan but may check out some of the competitions. Wrestling, judo, taekwondo, and other combat competitions would be interesting. Some sports seem boring to tv viewers but I find the intense concentration and quick action to be exciting sometimes.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have the opening ceremonies set to record. I know Japan has the capabilities to put on a meaningful and entertaining show. I’m not a big sports fan but may check out some of the competitions. Wrestling, judo, taekwondo, and other combat competitions would be interesting. Some sports seem boring to tv viewers but I find the intense concentration and quick action to be exciting sometimes.
Superb opening ceremony, filled with music from video game soundtrack during the nations parade.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:29 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Superb opening ceremony, filled with music from video game soundtrack during the nations parade.
I’m an anime fan so I was hoping for some classic anime to be included since it’s a part of Japanese culture that is internationally recognized. Will watch the ceremonies at a later time. Working 11pm-7am shift right now. Want to watch with the wife.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:35 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Really nice moment when they finally remembered and honored those who died at the 1972 Olympics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJWhwfVd7Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports