Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2023, 04:01 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

I think 5/6/7 will be Brighton, Liverpool, Spurs. Tottenham will have a rough two matches this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 05:46 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think 5/6/7 will be Brighton, Liverpool, Spurs. Tottenham will have a rough two matches this week.
I would not be surprised if they lose out. That was some of the worst football I have ever seen. I think the Wrexham boys would have help up better. 5 goals in 22 minutes ... Its mind boggling.

Old 04-25-2023, 03:02 PM

Bah. Blackburn 0, Burnley 1. Burnley scored on pretty much their only real shot and the quality showed. There was a clear hand ball on a PK in extra time but Championship doesn't have VAR so Burnley escaped giving up a PK. The Rovers played hard. They simply don't have the talent to reliably score goals. Burnley clinches the league in Blackburn. Not the best day. Blackburn has to win their last two matches and hope the two teams ahead of them on GD drop points to make the Promotion Playoffs. It's looking very unlikely.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Bah. Blackburn 0, Burnley 1. Burnley scored on pretty much their only real shot and the quality showed. There was a clear hand ball on a PK in extra time but Championship doesn't have VAR so Burnley escaped giving up a PK. The Rovers played hard. They simply don't have the talent to reliably score goals. Burnley clinches the league in Blackburn. Not the best day. Blackburn has to win their last two matches and hope the two teams ahead of them on GD drop points to make the Promotion Playoffs. It's looking very unlikely.
I saw the highlights. That hand ball was pretty clear. Tough to lose that chance on a bad missed call. I think the EFL has to make clubs in championship invest in VAR so it can be at all stadiums. I hate when a missed call impacts the outcome of the game. We've all been on both sides of that, but it is so frustrating. Tough luck Rovers. Win out and hope for the best!

The Hollywood Wrexam boys got their wish and are promoted back into the league. Big money for them next year, so they can spend a lot. They get better sponsorship deals than most 4th level teams can imagine, so the FFP rules will let them spend a lot more. The EFL money is over $1M more money than this year, plus they get TV revenue for any game televised, and they are sure to be picked for home games with Hollywood in attendance. I will not be surprised if they are in position to move up again in a few seasons.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:05 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
Embarrassing for the premier league for that to have been a title decider last night. From the first minute it was like a team of U-7s playing against full grown men. Arsenal need to get their mojo back, the league desperately needs someone to compete with Man City.

Shout out to Chelsea, who, just when you think it can't get any funnier - they go and lose again. Good job all those players are on super long contracts.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Embarrassing for the premier league for that to have been a title decider last night. From the first minute it was like a team of U-7s playing against full grown men. Arsenal need to get their mojo back, the league desperately needs someone to compete with Man City.

Shout out to Chelsea, who, just when you think it can't get any funnier - they go and lose again. Good job all those players are on super long contracts.
Chelsea have 'downed tools' that much is obvious, a good manager, a good clear out and a new season will get us going again, I doubt we will be challenging for much for a few seasons though, the club is at a crossroads and can go in any direction, they shouldn't have sacked Potter! Blaming the manager is the easy way out for a lot of clubs, whoever comes in next (Pochettino?) MUST BE GIVEN TIME!

Spurs are in a similar position to us.

Old 04-30-2023, 01:41 PM

OMG, Spurs are painful to watch right now. Two games with just horrendous opening minutes. 15 minutes and down 3 - nil. Then they climb back to get a draw in the last minutes of stoppage, then stop playing again to lose it. Ridiculous.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
OMG, Spurs are painful to watch right now. Two games with just horrendous opening minutes. 15 minutes and down 3 - nil. Then they climb back to get a draw in the last minutes of stoppage, then stop playing again to lose it. Ridiculous.
That’s been my Blackburn Rovers experience recently. Two extra time goals conceded to lose the 3 points and the extra time handball not called on Burnley on a corner.

The Spurs should have scored 6. The Son curved blast off the back post was a gorgeous shot. It was 75 minutes of watching why Liverpool won’t be in Champions League next season. They’ve lost their ability to focus for 90 minutes and stop playing defense.

I don’t understand why Jota wasn’t a red after VAR. Is it because Jota was playing the ball and Skipp ducked into it trying to head the ball?

Extra time was the biggest emotional swing I can remember.

Not going to happen but if the Rovers win five May matches, they’re in Premier League next season. Luton today so the fantasy is probably short lived. In the mix for promotion playoffs with two games left to play is a good season for a team with no parachute money. They beat West Ham and Leicester so they’re competitive with bottom third of the table Premier teams.

I watched Cardiff-Huddersfield yesterday morning. Huddersfield is in the relegation battle and Cardiff is just barely safe. I really like how relegation makes bad teams interesting to watch at the end of the season.

Old 05-01-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
That’s been my Blackburn Rovers experience recently. Two extra time goals conceded to lose the 3 points and the extra time handball not called on Burnley on a corner.

The Spurs should have scored 6. The Son curved blast off the back post was a gorgeous shot. It was 75 minutes of watching why Liverpool won’t be in Champions League next season. They’ve lost their ability to focus for 90 minutes and stop playing defense.

I don’t understand why Jota wasn’t a red after VAR. Is it because Jota was playing the ball and Skipp ducked into it trying to head the ball?

Extra time was the biggest emotional swing I can remember.

Not going to happen but if the Rovers win five May matches, they’re in Premier League next season. Luton today so the fantasy is probably short lived. In the mix for promotion playoffs with two games left to play is a good season for a team with no parachute money. They beat West Ham and Leicester so they’re competitive with bottom third of the table Premier teams.

I watched Cardiff-Huddersfield yesterday morning. Huddersfield is in the relegation battle and Cardiff is just barely safe. I really like how relegation makes bad teams interesting to watch at the end of the season.
Jota was a clear Red. but these bad calls are made by VAR so often now that they just do not stun me. I'm pulling for your Rovers, you have made me a fan.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I'm pulling for your Rovers, you have made me a fan.

Aren't the Spurs crushing your soul enough? The Rovers have been disappointing since mid-March.

I'm getting better at UK geography. Or at least England/Wales geography. I can locate all the Championship teams on a map. League Two is still fairly mysterious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer