Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2023, 05:09 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t understand the Conte fuss. The Spurs are right where you would expect them to be considering their payroll.

I hate this international break after the massively disruptive World Cup. Even the Blackburn Rovers have four players off plus another seven as U21, U20, U19, and U17. Ben Brereton flew to South America.
I agree. I have no problem with Spurs playing for 3rd or 4th. But Conte will never want to play for a team that does not let him veto or pick players. It is what it is. Agree also on the need for a big international break after the late WC. Last summer should have been for euro placement.

the Hollywood Wrexham took a bad break by losing their keeper, but Deadpool brought in Ben Foster. Nice to be able to get a EPL level keeper down in the national league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 07:13 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post

the Hollywood Wrexham took a bad break by losing their keeper, but Deadpool brought in Ben Foster. Nice to be able to get a EPL level keeper down in the national league.
He was good in 3:10 to Yuma. Are they going to sign Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, too? Hollywood, after all.

I haven’t been following English football long enough where I know all the bottom of the table players. Beyond the Big 6, Nick Pope, and Pickford, I’m not all that familiar with Premier League GK.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,815 times
Quote:
I don’t understand the Conte fuss. The Spurs are right where you would expect them to be considering their payroll.
The football they played under Conte was absolutely turgid. Considering their payroll I would expect them to at least entertain people. If it wasn't for Chelsea and Liverpool having such torrid seasons, Spurs would be battling Brighton and Brentford in 8th/9th place.

In 2019 they reached the final of the Champions League (!). Since then it's all gone one way. Down.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
The football they played under Conte was absolutely turgid. Considering their payroll I would expect them to at least entertain people. If it wasn't for Chelsea and Liverpool having such torrid seasons, Spurs would be battling Brighton and Brentford in 8th/9th place.

In 2019 they reached the final of the Champions League (!). Since then it's all gone one way. Down.
I haven’t watched them much this year but their counters last year were gorgeous. Let the other team make the mistake and use those amazing Harry Kane passes to score easy goals. I presume Conte was playing that style because they lack the players to control the ball and pass into the box against an organized defense. Manchester City can do that but they have the best players an oil country can buy.

And torrid is a pretty funny typo. I presume horrid would be the word from context. Unfortunately, with the season running to the end of May, I don’t think it’s enough of a break for Liverpool to fully recharge over the summer. They’ve been mentally inconsistent all year. I don’t watch Chelsea enough to have an opinion.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:31 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post

Conte is well known for his 'turgid' football, people used to complain about it when he was at Chelsea, he got away with it then though because he was successful, as soon as form dipped he was gone. He was known for his 'turgid' football in Italy too but there is a lot of 'turgid' football in Italy, the game there has always been 'defensively' minded, it can bring success, it just ain't 'pretty' to watch.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:16 PM

Potter gone. Not surprising.

The Rovers lost but played well. Their play bringing it out from the back is improving. They had plenty of chances.

Liverpool was crushed by Manchester City. They gave up a goal early in the second half and gave up. Tuesday’s Chelsea match is now fairly meaningless.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:44 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Potter gone. Not surprising.

The Rovers lost but played well. Their play bringing it out from the back is improving. They had plenty of chances.

Liverpool was crushed by Manchester City. They gave up a goal early in the second half and gave up. Tuesday’s Chelsea match is now fairly meaningless.
It's not meaningless!! Chelsea and Liverpool will both be looking to qualify for European football, although personally I don't want to be anywhere near that Europa conference bollox!!

Old 04-03-2023, 09:20 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,815 times
Quote:
And torrid is a pretty funny typo. I presume horrid would be the word from context. Unfortunately, with the season running to the end of May, I don’t think it’s enough of a break for Liverpool to fully recharge over the summer. They’ve been mentally inconsistent all year. I don’t watch Chelsea enough to have an opinion.
Yes, horrid.

Maybe, Torrid will be apt considering both Liverpool and Chelsea will need to have plus-sized transfer windows in the summer. I saw news that Liverpool want to to bring in Ward-Prowse from Southampton should they go down. I don't think that's the type of signing that's going to please Liverpool fans.

And Man Utd without Casimero are just as bad as they were with Solskjaer at the helm. Just slow, one dimensional with no desire in midfield. The whole squad looks exhausted, perhaps understandably.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:03 PM

The Spurs bailed out Everton from the relegation zone. Two really stupid red cards.

Everton looks better than a relegation team. They’re playing hard.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:58 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times
Quote:
The Spurs bailed out Everton from the relegation zone. Two really stupid red cards.

Everton looks better than a relegation team. They’re playing hard.
Players have to learn not to strike the face and head. go in and push the guy in the chest. Anything that contacts the head or face, its going to be a red. The second red card was so stupid by Moura. What was he thinking. I hate reds for a little tap on the foot, but he came down with the spikes on the foot instead of kicking where the ball was with his foot. Its a red every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer