Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
This. They're more expensive then San Jose for a reason. I bet everyone would rather live in these towns whether they admit it or not. Speaking of Los Gatos and Saratoga which are as safe as it gets and prettier too. Saratoga's downtown is tiny but Los Gatos is 10 minutes down the road. I don't think Cupertino is anything special but schools are good etc.
Great places, but $1 million buys a postage stamp.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:18 PM

13 posts, read 27,171 times
Awsome downtown!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:18 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
This. They're more expensive than San Jose for a reason. I bet everyone would rather live in these towns whether they admit it or not. Speaking of Los Gatos and Saratoga which are as safe as it gets and prettier too. Saratoga's downtown is tiny but Los Gatos is 10 minutes down the road. I don't think Cupertino is anything special but schools are good etc.
Mountain View and Palo Alto have nice downtowns, but Sunnyvale & Santa Clara don't really, although they are closer to the job centers. Los Gatos' downtown is cut but a little too botique-ish. Saratoga's is small. And if having a bigger lot/house is a priority for you, then somewhere like Almaden Valley might fit your budget better. That's doubly true if your job isn't in south San Jose or downtown SJ.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Mountain View and Palo Alto have nice downtowns, but Sunnyvale & Santa Clara don't really, although they are closer to the job centers. Los Gatos' downtown is cute but a little too boutique-ish. Saratoga's is small. And if having a bigger lot/house is a priority for you, then somewhere like Almaden Valley might fit your budget better. That's doubly true if your job isn't in south San Jose or downtown SJ.
you corrected his "then" so i couldn't resist.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
you corrected his "then" so i couldn't resist.
Fair enough. I just re-read my post and there were a few other errors in there and it's driving me nuts that I can't correct them

I have to say the constant misuse of "then" instead of "than" on CD is one of my major peeves. They are 4 letter words. They only reason people don't spell them correctly is because their pronunciation is sloppy and they spell the way they speak.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
Long ago, I was once helping a girlfriend with her Pascal homework and she had this if-than-else statement that wouldn't compile. I'm sitting there staring at it for longest time trying to figure out what the compiler's issue was. And finally it dawned on me: it's not if-than-else, it's if-then-else!

I don't believe I've ever mixed up those two words since.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Long ago, I was once helping a girlfriend with her Pascal homework and she had this if-than-else statement that wouldn't compile. I'm sitting there staring at it for longest time trying to figure out what the compiler's issue was. And finally it dawned on me: it's not if-than-else, it's if-then-else!

I don't believe I've ever mixed up those two words since.
They are such easy words. I don't understand how people can mix them up.

"Than" rhymes with "ran".

"Then" rhymes with "men".

If you pronounce them correctly, you won't spell the incorrectly. Of course, I think some people are so used to saying "then" all the time, they don't even know the meaning of the two words any more.

Here is the explanation:

How to Use Than vs. Then (with Examples) - wikiHow

The short answer is that "then" refers to time. If you're not talking about time you should use "than".

Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

I have to say the constant misuse of "then" instead of "than" on CD is one of my major peeves.
As well as there and their. Frequently butchered. But we stray...

SJ is about to get more interesting due to:

1) Sharks season starting soon,

2) Earthquakes stadium about to break ground on their new stadium on Coleman by the airport, and team is on top of MLS. Could win the championship in Stanford Stadium (tough to envision MLS Cup being played at Buck Shaw), with parade afterwards in downtown SJ.

Also, the folks who ran the Avalon club on Lawrence in Santa Clara have moved (had to, due to the property owner's wish to do something else with the property), relocating in San Jose at the Rodeo club on Coleman, right across the street from the San Jose Marketplace Trader Joe's. Hipsters and punk/metal people can now get 2 Buck Chuck or Simpler Times quite conveniently to enjoy before the show.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
As well as there and their. Frequently butchered. But we stray...
Not just their and there, but also they're. Yes, the butchering of those drives me nuts too, but I'll stop myself from commenting further.

SJ is about to get more interesting due to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
1) Sharks season starting soon,

2) Earthquakes stadium about to break ground on their new stadium on Coleman by the airport, and team is on top of MLS. Could win the championship in Stanford Stadium (tough to envision MLS Cup being played at Buck Shaw), with parade afterwards in downtown SJ.

Also, the folks who ran the Avalon club on Lawrence in Santa Clara have moved (had to, due to the property owner's wish to do something else with the property), relocating in San Jose at the Rodeo club on Coleman, right across the street from the San Jose Marketplace Trader Joe's. Hipsters and punk/metal people can now get 2 Buck Chuck or Simpler Times quite conveniently to enjoy before the show.
Sharks season is nothing new. The soccer thing is nice if you care about it. I don't care about sports, but it will be nice for the people who care.

That's nice about the club. I'm not a clubber myself but it is nice to have these things, especially downtown or nearby. I'm actually glad it's not right downtown. We have enough loud, obnoxious partiers on the weekends downtown.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:51 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,398 times
I guess I'm just easy for cities. I live in Berkeley, but I like Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose. Generally for different reasons, though each does have awesome food. A San Jose partisan might make the case that the real food center of the Bay Area now is Santa Clara County--you have to include Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View. I know that San Jose is not an artsy fartsy town, but to me the San Jose Museum of Art is probably the most interesting and creative art museum in the Bay Area (I like the little MACLA gallery too). Downtown San Jose is a real place, though it's still got too many blocks where nothing is happening. Downtown SJ also has an elementary school in it (which not all downtowns do), showing a good outreach to families with kids, understanding that downtowns will have a lot of childless adults.

Santana Row is a beautiful piece of sculpture--far prettier than other Bay Area malls--but there's not a whole lot of practical stuff to buy there (gifts maybe). It may or may not have been a good use of tax dollars, but personally I'll be very happy when BART reaches San Jose. I won't have to drive the Nimitz or transfer at Fremont BART to get there.

But Joan Didion's mom apparently didn't like San Jose much, according to Where I'm Coming From. Commenting on the massive suburban growth around the state in recent decades mom said "It's all San Jose now."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose