Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:45 PM

30 posts, read 43,506 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving to SJ from NC , in a couple of months..
Can anybody tell me where/what are the best places to do affordable grocery shopping ?

How is the public transportation out there ? any website of bus / train services will be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
Kinda depends on where specifically you are living, and where you are going to work.

A couple of general links:

Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority
Includes light rail system in San Jose + buses

caltrain.com
One way to get to San Francisco and the Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug7 View Post
How is the public transportation out there ? any website of bus / train services will be helpful.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:39 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,541 times
Quote:
Hi,

Can anybody tell me where/what are the best places to do affordable grocery shopping ?

Thanks
San Jose is the 3rd largest city in California close a million people, I hope you did research before you decided to come. Affordable shopping is defined by your budget, you could shop at farmers markets, grocery outlet , if money is tight or just shop at a standard grocery store like most Americans.

We do have public transit as well, I know its hard to fathom, but we do

Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Typically, places like WalMart and Target have the cheapest groceries, but not a full selection. Also, the 2 WalMart's we have in San Jose are depressing and zoo-like.

I usually stock up at Target for frozen food, spaghetti sauce, etc (although the one on Coleman now has a produce section that's pretty good). Safeway for a lot of everyday stuff, and Trader Joes for the few things I want but can't get at the other 2.

Some consider places like Safeway "budget" but I'd say it's more mid range.

There are more budget oriented places like grocery outlet, but I don't got there because the inconvenience isn't worth it to me.

A lot of people like Costco, too. For a single person like myself, I don't think the membership fee is worth it, but a lot of people consider Costco to have average to above average quality for reasonable prices. It's definitely worth it if you have friends with memberships, though ....but be careful about not to buy more than you need.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,051 times
If you want cheap produce, go to an Asian grocery store. Many Asian markets put minimal effort into the display of their product (some display produce in their cases with the tops cut off) and pass along the cost savings to you.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM

81 posts, read 248,720 times
We moved here not too long ago from Raleigh. I thought we'd end up spending way more on our groceries but that hasn't happened. I've found that some things are more expensive here, like eggs and chicken (things that tend to be produced in NC). But there are amazing savings on produce that more than make up for it. We do a lot of shopping at Safeway, which is comparable in atmosphere to Harris Teeter but is cheaper than HT. It's maybe not as cheap as a place like Food Lion, though Safeway does have some good bargains. I think there are some cheaper grocery chains around, but for us they aren't that convenient and we don't use them, so I can't compare them to NC stores. I did some shopping at Target the other day and I found that they were way more expensive than Safeway on some of the things I was looking at (garlic, fruit). Target does have a few good items for cheap (frozen items) so it may be a good option for you. Trader Joe's prices are about the same as they are in Cary, although the wine and a few other things here are cheaper than in NC. Costco is WAY busier here than it was for us in Raleigh. We've thought about buying things there, but the minimal savings aren't worth braving that parking lot or standing in the lines. Hope this helps!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM

138 posts, read 571,641 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Trader Joe's is our favorite place to shop, same items as Whole Foods but cheaper. The bus lines here are fantastic, I was very impressed when I rode them a few years ago. Nice padded seats, comfortable, clean, and professional drivers. You can check out the routes at www.vta.org And there is CalTrain too - lots of options.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 AM

30 posts, read 43,506 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions
The Shop names will be handy when I do my first home & grocery shopping here. Fermont or Milpitas will be my choice of stay.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:21 PM

16 posts, read 62,826 times
I second what the person said about the Asian Markets - that's where the real savings are. If you like to eat foods that aren't processed or belong to large conglomerates such as Proctor & Gamble or Kraft, the Asian market is the place to be. In Milpitas you will have plenty to choose from. There's great Chinese food in Milpitas too.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnyce View Post
I second what the person said about the Asian Markets - that's where the real savings are.
Mi Pueblo markets as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose