Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2021, 09:19 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshampoo View Post
It’s vernacular adopted by many white liberal anti-racist social Justice Warriors who aren’t even woke enough to realize using the term “woke” is cultural appropriation.
Actually I think it's an idiom adopted by conservatives who felt the need to dump some derogatory label on people who they consider to be "anti-racist social justice warriors".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 09:20 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah you pretty much did: https://www.city-data.com/forum/61402166-post220.html

Like I said every few months its the same thing with some of you; someone posts a story about a local crime then you or somebody else jumps in stating the obvious how it happens elsewhere too while missing the larger point of the severity of the problem locally. It's almost like a canned response at this point LOL.
No one is “missing the point.” Several of us believe context is valuable in tamping down internet-driven myth-creation.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:24 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, “looting” is classified differently by law enforcement … generally associated with protest events and disasters. That IS a meaningful distinction. Yes.
Not on an anonymous message board. You should let the news outlets know too since they are the ones using the term as well.

It's so irrelevant but I guess that is what one can expect from the types that correct peoples grammar and spelling online.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Oh good you're focusing on semantics now because that's what is important. I guess "looters" is not woke enough for you. Sorry, "flash robbers" LOL
I am not sure how to break it to you, but "flash rob" is exactly what it's called by law enforcement and apparently that's the term the participants use as well when organizing one of these events. A looter is a person who steals from a business that is probably unattended due to natural disaster or the aftermath of a riot, i.e. people who went into homes in Paradise when the occupants had been evacuated were designated as looters. But you don't have to believe me:

California Penal Code 463 PC defines the crime of looting as taking advantage of a state of emergency to commit burglary, grand theft or petty theft. Looting can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony and is punishable by up to 3 years in jail.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:27 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshampoo View Post
I guess these individuals didn’t get the memo to no longer use the terminology of “woke” due to conservatives mocking the “woke.”

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...fy-as-woke?amp

You may not like the term, but “wokeness” is a real world view and left leaning individuals more align with this worldview.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/76338...utlook-on-race
Lol but no one ever talks like that except right wing extremists and fox news...they really love assign labels on people it seems.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They need to fear being hurt or beat or shot, we all know this right? Just the threat of that would be enough to keep a lot of them home. We need to get over the idea that people shouldn't worry about being harmed or killed while stealing stuff because 'it's just property" or because "insurance will cover it". I know folks think I'm being awful and that they are being moral, but they've slipped past moral into insanity because this is always the end result of not being tough on crime. ALWAYS. Some people can't live by societies rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Agreed.
Well … while I have zero compassion or defense for looters or shoplifters or flash-robbers et al, I’ll guess that you decent folks haven’t had much interactive contact with these types. You are assuming too much fear on their part. They really don’t think hardly about it at all. Not about getting shot or beat or jailed … and many are not one bit afraid to fight back. Viciously. They don’t care. They live without hope. They have nothing of value to lose.

Being “tough on crime” is necessary … but don’t hold your breath thinking it will stop it.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:29 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Pretty interesting (and revealing) that you choose to ridicule the point made: that political referencing serves no worthy purpose in pursuit of solution … in fact, it further divides society.
What's interesting about it because it was completely besides the point of the article? The topic here isn't Fox News' bias. Unfortunately that's how the new media works nowadays so some of you should probably start to figure out how to ignore the bias and focus on the information being presented.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:29 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
No one is “missing the point.” Several of us believe context is valuable in tamping down internet-driven myth-creation.
They wouldnt know what to do with themselves if they couldnt count down the days to JFK Jrs ressurection and their campaign to remove the lizards that apparently dwell within us

Old 11-24-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Not on an anonymous message board. You should let the news outlets know too since they are the ones using the term as well.

It's so irrelevant but I guess that is what one can expect from the types that correct peoples grammar and spelling online.
And then there are those folks who misuse terms and labels wantonly, resulting in feeding myths and memes. No link necessary here. Just look in your mirror.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
What's interesting about it because it was completely besides the point of the article? The topic here isn't Fox News' bias. Unfortunately that's how the new media works nowadays so some of you should probably start to figure out how to ignore the bias and focus on the information being presented.
It’s not one bit “besides the point” of the issue. Any fool can see that politicization of non-political issues is a destructive force. Stop feeding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland