Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 08:10 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,616,279 times

Advertisements

The police won't do anything until some thug walks off with the Golden Gate bridge. Seriously, I get that the DA won't prosecute, so just go in the back of the precinct, find and dust off the old nightsticks and just start beating these thieves until they can no longer walk well enough to rob more places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 01:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,501,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Did you even read the article? That video wasn't about the article. The article was about a tweet in reference to an story by the SF Chronicle.
No, I clicked on the link and a video started playing at the top of the page. Is Fox News so bad they can't even embed the right video into the webpage?!

Anyway, I just read it. I would say I'm surprised the Chron dared tweet something so stupid, but I'm not. I keep up on local/regional politics, and this sort of insanity comes out of the mouths of "progressive" politicians on a regular basis.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:11 AM

56 posts, read 22,987 times
Quote:
Oh good you're focusing on semantics now because that's what is important. I guess "looters" is not woke enough for you. Sorry, "flash robbers" LOL
Come on, we all know the correct woke term is reparations.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:34 AM

36,664 posts, read 67,591,134 times
again with 'woke'....who told you guys that was a thing? Im just dying to know because only far right people ever use that word.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:34 AM

56 posts, read 22,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
again with 'woke'....who told you guys that was a thing? Im just dying to know because only far right people ever use that word.
I guess these individuals didn’t get the memo to no longer use the terminology of “woke” due to conservatives mocking the “woke.”

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...fy-as-woke?amp

You may not like the term, but “wokeness” is a real world view and left leaning individuals more align with this worldview.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/76338...utlook-on-race

Last edited by Woodshampoo; 11-24-2021 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-24-2021, 09:01 AM

21,759 posts, read 16,382,430 times
The Wiki blurb below dates from many years back. This sort of theft is not new. Their citations and references are from 2011 and back to early 1990’s. With the rise of social media, and internet reselling, expect more and more.

Note that at the time of this Wiki placement, California wasn’t even on the list of examples. So now we take a turn in the history.

A flash rob, also known as a multiple offender crime or flash mob robbery, is an organized form of theft in which a group of participants enter a retail shop or convenience store en masse and steal goods and other items.[1][2][3] Typically, store workers and employees in these cases quickly become overwhelmed by the large number of participants and are therefore unable to stop the theft.[4][5]

Flash robs operate using speed and sheer numbers in order to intimidate any resistance and complete the act before police can respond. While often viewed as a form of theft or looting (the illegal taking of items), these crimes more closely fit the definition of robbery because the large crowd creates an implied threat of violence should employees or bystanders attempt to intervene. Many investigations into these robberies have shown that they are planned ahead of time using social media, and the participants do not all necessarily know each other personally.

Flash robs have occurred in places such as Chicago, Illinois[9] Portland, Oregon,[10] Houston, Texas,[11] and Jacksonville, Florida, and Germantown, Maryland.[2][12]

In Chile this kind of robbery is known as "turbazo".[8]

Brazil has seen mass flash robberies since at least the early 1990s. In a phenomenon known as arrastão (trawling), mobs will steal money, telephone, watches, rings, bags and sometimes even victim’s clothing. The most infamous case of trawling took place on 18 October 1992, on Ipanema beach in Rio de Janeiro, when hundreds of young Afro-Brazilians ran together in a mass to rob beach goers.[13][14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_rob

Last edited by Tulemutt; 11-24-2021 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-24-2021, 09:09 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,690,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
No, I clicked on the link and a video started playing at the top of the page. Is Fox News so bad they can't even embed the right video into the webpage?!

Anyway, I just read it. I would say I'm surprised the Chron dared tweet something so stupid, but I'm not. I keep up on local/regional politics, and this sort of insanity comes out of the mouths of "progressive" politicians on a regular basis.
A lot of outlets do that including "regular media"; embed a short video to a story on the same or similar subject.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Oh good you're focusing on semantics now because that's what is important. I guess "looters" is not woke enough for you. Sorry, "flash robbers" LOL
Well, “looting” is classified differently by law enforcement … generally associated with protest events and disasters. That IS a meaningful distinction. Yes.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Another poster focused solely on the messenger rather than the message...... Oy
Pretty interesting (and revealing) that you choose to ridicule the point made: that political referencing serves no worthy purpose in pursuit of solution … in fact, it further divides society.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Is crime tourism a thing out in San Francisco now? My nephew is visiting for Thanksgiving and knows of people flying out to the Bay area on days off to commit thefts/robberies.
Well, I’m gonna call *obvious* bs on “ flying out to the Bay area on days off to commit thefts/robberies. Though it is (almost) certainly tounge-in-cheek sarcasm … it’s worth calling out because there are so many brain-dead who will re-tell this into a new myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland