Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM

418 posts, read 785,232 times

Advertisements

Anyone notice the "Speedy" checkout at Walmart is no longer
speedy for some reason.

Perhaps attributable to any number or combination of the following:

-shoppers bringing too many items to those express checkouts

-temporary workers hired by Walmart unfamiliar with the process

-families who insist on showing up at the Speedy counter with
more than 20 items yet have the cashier process less than 20
at a time and issue a separate bill for each batch

-families who show up at the Speedy counter and send the kids
back for more items as they go thus landing up with an excessive
number of items

-the chatty shopper who insists on striking up a conversation with
the cashier just as their business is about to close thus keeping every
in line waiting that much longer

-not all Speedy checkouts staffed. This one is a double-edged sword
for Walmart who try to keep their seasonal staffing expenses down but
at the same time want to process as many customers as possible

Is Walmart now at the point where they simply don't care about
shopper frustration at the checkout... that they realize frustrated
or not those shoppers will still return?

It is the season so I'm understanding; however, at the same time
is is very frustrating to see a regular cash line go faster than the
"Speedy" line.

Ok, no more complaining for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 AM

890 posts, read 1,852,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
Well, I have a little "feel good" story to add in. My mom was at the store today picking out some last minute stuff and was the loading her car when a bag slipped and spilled all it's contents on the ground. She was starting to pick them up when a guy with his two kids ran over and started to help her pick them up. They even helped putting the rest of the stuff in her car. My mom was very grateful and offered him a couple of bucks for him or some candy she bought. He said no, no, no, he was just waiting for his wife and to have a Merry Christmas. And they went back to their car. Made my mom's day as well as mine.
You must be in the wrong forum...nothing good ever happens in SA.

Just kidding....thanks for sharing. Ok, back to hating.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 AM

171 posts, read 311,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I recall one time at Target, someone was in the limited item lane (I don't remember what Target sets their limit at) with her item count exceeding the posted limit. She waited in line and when it was her turn to check out, the cashier refused to complete the transaction. She ended up throwing all of her items back into the cart and storming off to another lane. It was quite funny now that I think about it since this thread reminds me of that incident.

Wow, a cashier who pointed out the store rules. LOL, been there a couple of times when person in front of me has way more than allowed. Then goes on to argue prices and sales slowly the "Express" lane even more.

Just was a HEB. Remember distinctly walking in the store and stopping because people were walking and not paying attention. Guess they are used to being inconsiderate and expecting for everybody else to slow down and go around them or give them the right of way. What made it worse they had children in their carts.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 AM

581 posts, read 1,189,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
You must be in the wrong forum...nothing good ever happens in SA.

Just kidding....thanks for sharing. Ok, back to hating.

Hahahaha. No prob. But I got one. So, apparently my Christmas is revolving around alcohol this year. I'm not ashamed to admit. LOL. But my aunt came into town late, about 11pm, a few days ago. So she did want to buy a little something to celebrate being home and what not, so we went to WalMart to purchase her libations. That was the ONLY thing she wanted after a hellish flight and the only thing she was buying. Looked all over for an "express" lane and granted it was 11pm, there were only 4 lanes, each lane having around 5 people deep. So we waited and got veryclose to the midnight cut off. So she spoked to the lady in front of her, who had a basketful of crap and 5 kids in tow, and the checkout lady if she could go ahead and purchase her ONE thing and everyone's on their way. She even pulled out a $20 and said she was good for it. Checker said that's fine. Well, the lady in front wasn't having it. Said she was in a hurry and needed to get out. So we're 10mins out from 12am. And lady in front puts all her crap on the belt and then proceeds to show the checkout lady an ad on her iPhone for a pair of pjs that are cheaper at another store. Checker was like,"Um, we can't do that. It needs to be a paper hardcopy ad." And lady threw a fit and wanted to speak to someone, blah, blah, blah. My aunt was so pissed. She couldn't believe it. Even offered to pay for her entire purchase if it meant she could swipe her purchase before midnight.

My aunt was pissed. LOL. I mean, its funny now but seriously. It wouldn't have made a difference in time considering she was still there speaking with a manager when we left. Albeit without my aunts relief. I don't know. Maybe its me. But I do that all the time. If you got one thing and I have basket, it usually doesn't take that long to get done and im really no worse off then when I started.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,802,992 times
I have been in that crucial situation where time is of critical importance. Got the beer in one hand while I am watching the clock get closer to midnight. Meanwhile there are 100 people in front of me. My solution in that case.....give the clerk the money and tell her keep the change. Then proceed into the night with your ice cold beer and everyone is happy I do it all the time and it never fails.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I have been in that crucial situation where time is of critical importance. Got the beer in one hand while I am watching the clock get closer to midnight. Meanwhile there are 100 people in front of me. My solution in that case.....give the clerk the money and tell her keep the change. Then proceed into the night with your ice cold beer and everyone is happy I do it all the time and it never fails.

Yeah. I told her to just leave the $20 and jet but she didn't know if they had to scan it for inventory purposes or what. She was trying to be the nice, honest Abe I guess. But now I know it CAN be done for future reference so THANKS!. But it wound being okay because we stopped at beer joint by my sisters and got my aunt her preferred libations for a buck fiddy a pint and I've never laughed so hard in my life. So, maybe it was a good thing.

But I"m with someone who already stated about the people thinking they always have the right of way. To the lady who thought it was cool to lineback your way through the aisle, the phrase "Excuse me" will get you alot further, at least while I'm there, than "Uh, move." She probably has a nice little bruise in her calf from my cart. Ooops. Sorry.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:32 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,802,992 times
Inventory smenventory! The only time I got hassle for doing that an old man asked me to bring it back to scan it. I told him it was an 18 of Miller Lite and I got it at the back of the store. Meaning he could go grab it on his own and scan it then put it back. Not to be a jerk, but if I want some more beer and it is 11:58 it will be mine. And a pint for $1.50! Where is this magical bar at? Lastly, where on Earth are you hanging out where these people are holding up the register and talking nasty in the aisles? Wal-Mart! I have not been in a Wal-Mart in over a decade...on purpose.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Inventory smenventory! The only time I got hassle for doing that an old man asked me to bring it back to scan it. I told him it was an 18 of Miller Lite and I got it at the back of the store. Meaning he could go grab it on his own and scan it then put it back. Not to be a jerk, but if I want some more beer and it is 11:58 it will be mine. And a pint for $1.50! Where is this magical bar at? Lastly, where on Earth are you hanging out where these people are holding up the register and talking nasty in the aisles? Wal-Mart! I have not been in a Wal-Mart in over a decade...on purpose.

Yeah, I guess we just didnt want to get into anything or whatnot. But what can you do? Learning process. LOL

And it was some whole in the wall joint off of Pat Booker. Name escapes. My aunt loves those places because you can get cheap booze. Now, they may have started at 3 bucks but my aunt can sell a safety pin to porcupine and they ended up a 1.50. She's one of those types. LOL I didn't ask any questions, I just kept my glass to my face.

WalMart for the beer and HEB for the fighting with aisle people. I normally don't DO the crowd deal. I'm a pro at online shopping but I'm running errands for the family, going here and there. I guess since because this is my first "Real' Christmas at home in which I don't have to immediately leave after a week, back to where ever, it's my turn and I'm due. It hasn't been so bad but those are what just sticks out.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM

268 posts, read 594,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Jason View Post
Several times at H-E-B, the front end manage sends me to the 10 item or less lane; when there is no one in the line when I am over the limit. I hate that, I feel when someone comes up behind me they think I don't know how to count.
I know how you feel, you may just want to decline the offer next time.

I don't, I take his suggestion and move over. The manager is in the business to keep the cashiers busy and lines moving...lol, I wished they always were on the look out. The 10/20 items or less is a guide and obviously, subject to change.

It's no big deal.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 AM

418 posts, read 785,232 times
Shopping at HEB and Walmart this morning between
8:30am and 10am... I've never seen such a bunch of
sour faces in one place in my life.

Whats wrong people? ...smile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio