Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,425,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Did anyone mention:

1. Get off the line. Play with your purse later. Put your your stuff away off the line.

2. Stop yakking with the clerk. Don't care about your life.

3. About checks - next time pay with gold dust like in old San Francisco. We have moved on.

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoflov1232 View Post
They are rude shoppers because they can be and we let them.

Yes...definitely. See first quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Havent seen my pet peeve mentioned, it irritates me when people tell me "excuse me" or "I'm sorry" when they pass me in the aisle, but are really not close to me at all. Also, shopping carts are like cars, KEEP RIGHT PEOPLE!

Okay, I do understand the keep right, because yes, you are supposed to do that...but the "excuse me" and "I'm sorry"?? It's just nice manners. I was always taught growing up that if you pass someone who is looking at a product and you block their view as you are passing, you say "Excuse me"...but maybe you didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,793,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
we have been here for 2 years now. we have found Texans to generally be friendly and polite and helpful.

But when you get on the road or in a grocery store the persona completely changes, rude and pushy, wonder why?
If you were born and raised in San Antonio or even Texas, you will definitely see a decline in the easy going attitude over the years as more and more people move here from other states for jobs, military, etc.

Too many people move here with a sense of entitlement.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,447,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I am one of those people who waits to pull out her checkbook. Two reasons:

1. I often get sale items and I want to make sure the right price rings up

2. I never get a bagger so I start bagging my own groceries to help make my checkout go a bit faster. It only takes me a second to write that check...

And yes, I do still write checks. No credit cards for me and I don't trust people with my debit card. Pay cash for everything and I can sleep better at night.
Wait you trust a scrap of paper with your routing number and account number along with your name and address on front, but not an encoded magnetic strip that never leaves your hand? Umm ok?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:39 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,793,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Wait you trust a scrap of paper with your routing number and account number along with your name and address on front, but not an encoded magnetic strip that never leaves your hand? Umm ok?
Neither is that secure. Both methods can be compromised.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,447,447 times
Apart from a skimmer being attached to a card reader it has been quite awhile since you've had any breeches in card numbers. I doubt you will find a skimmer in a card reader in a retail setting. Not only that but you have fraud protection provided through your bank and federal law. Checks get none of that.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Okay, I do understand the keep right, because yes, you are supposed to do that...but the "excuse me" and "I'm sorry"?? It's just nice manners. I was always taught growing up that if you pass someone who is looking at a product and you block their view as you are passing, you say "Excuse me"...but maybe you didn't know that.
When I read the Original Post referencing this, I was like "Huh?"

I always do that, and thought it was good manners.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
One more thing that I dont get.....why does it take 3 generations of a family to go grocery shopping? I can understand if you don't have someone to watch the kids...thats fine. But I always see several adults with one cart for groceries and another cart loaded with small children....what's that all about?
I'm sure this will be offensive to some people, but, I believe this is so that everyone can use someone's Lone Star card...

Old 11-27-2011, 06:18 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,342,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
After they found skimmers at the gas station a mile from my house, I cancelled the debit card. I don't have credit cards and only keep enough cash on hand to buy gas, eat out or go some place with the kids.

So, yes, I will keep paying with checks at the grocery store. Can we stop the condescending lectures now please....

Old 11-27-2011, 06:44 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,430,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Did anyone mention:

1. Get off the line. Play with your purse later. Put your your stuff away off the line.

2. Stop yakking with the clerk. Don't care about your life.

3. About checks - next time pay with gold dust like in old San Francisco. We have moved on.

Well, maybe the clerk should stop yakking with the customer! That was my main gripe about HEB, the cashier was forever giving me the third degree. ''Well, how have you been? I haven't seen you around, what have you been doing?" etc, etc, and always about the kids. If the kids weren't with me, it was "where are the kids?" Oh, I left them locked in the hot car, its only 100 degrees. Or I "forgot" them along the road, or they're tearing up store displays while I checkout", etc, etc.....or, if the kids were with me, the cashiers would practically drop a duece over them".....oh, aren't they cute! do you want that candy bar mommy told you to put down? We can ring it up, don't mind the wicked old witch, you can do anything you want...." really, I got sooooo sick of cashiers hyping up my kids I stopped shopping there. Costco is the most efficient at checkout, they don't give a $hit about making conversation, they just move it on down the line!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:13 PM

204 posts, read 336,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
After they found skimmers at the gas station a mile from my house, I cancelled the debit card. I don't have credit cards and only keep enough cash on hand to buy gas, eat out or go some place with the kids.

So, yes, I will keep paying with checks at the grocery store. Can we stop the condescending lectures now please....
Maybe it's time to join the modern world and get a credit card? They protect you against fraud you know. They also pay YOU to use their cards. My AMEX blue cash is great. NO annual fee. Between 1-3% CASH back on all purchases.

Besides, how do you book flights, rental cars, hotel rooms, or make online purchases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio