Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 AM

454 posts, read 505,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
You should also check out Oak Hills Terrace (off Callahan, near Fredericksburg Road), there's some seriously cool early 60's MCMish stuff in that neighborhood (which are NEVER for sale it seems, ugh). I really need to take some pics of that area, VERY cool stuff.

I drive through there most days (my short cut to the highway) and have seen quite a number for sale. Gorgeous area. Lovely old growth trees and green areas, really cool houses. Alas, there's a pretty high price tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:12 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
I drive through there most days (my short cut to the highway) and have seen quite a number for sale. Gorgeous area. Lovely old growth trees and green areas, really cool houses. Alas, there's a pretty high price tag.
Now, I'm thinking, I MAY be wrong, I looked at the MLS and Oak Hills Terrace just didn't seem like the area I was driving through. It was this odd little "nook" just past Fredericksburg and right off Callahan, a dead-end kind of neighborhood with no real outlets, basically an offshoot of Oak Hills (maybe it IS considered Oak Hills?), one way in, one way out kinda deal, but it had a few amazing MCM's, I mean, some were WAY out in a mid-1960's way, I can just visualize a Margaret Keane painting (you know, those sad big-eyed children prints that were really popular in the 60's, well, a sfar as I know, I wasn't born yet ) above the mantle of this "spaceship meets faux Asian-look" pad. The area is directly behind the Oak Hills Country Club golf course, and a few houses were right on the course. It seems very quite, lots of older folks, you know, the kind of area where you get LOTS of stares if you drive slowly (like mine, lots of retired military where I live, we're talking old colonals and generals and such), etc. It's worth checking out though if you're into MCM.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:56 PM

226 posts, read 865,758 times
Can someone please explain (or post pix) but what is considered a Modernist home?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 PM

454 posts, read 505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Now, I'm thinking, I MAY be wrong, I looked at the MLS and Oak Hills Terrace just didn't seem like the area I was driving through. It was this odd little "nook" just past Fredericksburg and right off Callahan, a dead-end kind of neighborhood with no real outlets, basically an offshoot of Oak Hills (maybe it IS considered Oak Hills?), one way in, one way out kinda deal, but it had a few amazing MCM's, I mean, some were WAY out in a mid-1960's way, I can just visualize a Margaret Keane painting (you know, those sad big-eyed children prints that were really popular in the 60's, well, a sfar as I know, I wasn't born yet ) above the mantle of this "spaceship meets faux Asian-look" pad. The area is directly behind the Oak Hills Country Club golf course, and a few houses were right on the course. It seems very quite, lots of older folks, you know, the kind of area where you get LOTS of stares if you drive slowly (like mine, lots of retired military where I live, we're talking old colonals and generals and such), etc. It's worth checking out though if you're into MCM.
Ok, I may not be thinking "Terrace" - both places I go through are not one way in one way out. There's one area between Fredericksburg and I-10, Callaghan and a little street called CHambers I think, that has AMAZING MCM type homes, but more Mansion-ish. Those are rarely on sale but I have seen a few.

Then the other 'hood is bordered by Fredericksburg, Callaghan, Babcock and 410 and the homes sound like what you're describing, further down from the country club. Some smallish less interesting homes, and some incredible ones. I never see people outside there though, but amazing landscapes. It's prone to flooding, however.I think that's Oak Hills (not Oak Hills terrace) but I may be wrong.

Now I'm going to have to check out the 'hood you describe. Sounds interesting. How does one get in?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:38 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
Pics of the homes in those nabes would be appreciated as well.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:45 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Default For Living near Shamu

From Wikipedia (I don't think this would be copyrighted):

"Mid-Century modern is an architectural, interior and product design form that generally describes post-war developments in modern design from roughly 1945 to 1965. Mid-century architecture was a further development of Frank Lloyd Wright's principles of organic architecture combined with many elements reflected in the International and Bauhaus movements. Mid-century modernism, however, was much more organic in form and less formal than the International Style. Scandinavian designers and architects were very influential at this time, with a style characterized by simplicity, democratic design and natural shapes. Like many of Wright's designs, Mid-Century architecture was frequently employed in residential structures with the goal of bringing modernism into America's post-war suburbs. This style emphasized creating structures with ample windows and open floor-plans with the intention of opening up interior spaces and bringing the outdoors in. Many Mid-century homes utilized then groundbreaking post and beam architectural design that eliminated bulky support walls in favor of walls seemingly made of glass. Function was as important as form in Mid-Century designs with an emphasis placed specifically on targeting the needs of the average American family. Examples of residential Mid-Century modern architecture are frequently referred to as the California Ranch style."

Do an internet search of Eames chairs, George Nelson clocks, Joseph Eichler homes and you are there. Or, easier yet... watch Pixar's movie "The Incredibles".

But some pics to start out (an Eichler, followed by a MCM in Houston, followed by the unfortunate scene across the street in Houston):
Attached Thumbnails
Mid-Century Modernist Homes-page1-2_800.jpg   Mid-Century Modernist Homes-hr1983801-1.jpg   Mid-Century Modernist Homes-hr1983801-17.jpg  

Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
More MCM pics for Living near Shamu:

Dallas
http://dougnewby.com/images/body/architecture/styles/modern_post-50/glen_galaway_4.jpg (broken link)

Austin
http://modernaustin.com/pix/Braker/Braker-Images/5.jpg (broken link)
http://modernaustin.com/pix/Nov4/Nov4-Images/27.jpg (broken link)
http://modernaustin.com/pix/Stenger/Stenger-Images/0.jpg (broken link)

Houston

It seems to me that Houston has the most MCMs in Texas. I could be wrong though.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Pics of the homes in those nabes would be appreciated as well.
I've been meaning to snap pics of those Oak Hills joints for ages. It's hard to get good shots of the Terrell Hills houses though, they're all pretty much obscured by huge trees. My GF just got a fancy-pants new digital camera...so maybe this weekend a trip to Oak Hills is in order?

Milton Ryan in Terrell Hills (RIP - now a vacant lot, the McMansion hasn't gotten underway yet...this is happening a lot over here right now, looks like the flippers' *** might be coming to an end, whew):
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/theweirdone1971/dunwoodyhouse-1.jpg (broken link)

Cool "Brady Bunch meets Asian Modern" in Terrell Hills - was recently (well, like 8 months ago?) sold for 500Kish as I recall - the inside was REALLY cool, all terrazzo, sunken living room, etc.:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/theweirdone1971/7361_1.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 PM

...oh yeah, almost forgot, this was for sale in Oak Hills not long ago, cool mid-60's MCM:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/theweirdone1971/new_size_oak_hills.jpg (broken link)

...this popped up recently in Terrell Hills too, I dig it, looks like it MIGHT be a Milton Ryan? But 519K, ehhhh...
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/theweirdone1971/SABOR677271.jpg (broken link)

...another MCM in Bel Meade, needs a lot of work to get it back to its roots though (I should know, it's my pad, shhhhhhhh, now people will throw eggs at my house!). You wouldn't know by looking at it, but it has huge arched ceilings and clerestory windows all over the place.):
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/theweirdone1971/SABOR607980A-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Thanks for sharing, these photos are AWESOME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio