Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 PM

24 posts, read 75,105 times

Advertisements

Living in a ranch style similar but not the real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oabecc View Post
do you know anything about milton ryan?
Basically, in Ryan's case, he's JUST being re-discovered by afficionados of Modernism in San Antonio (and by that, I mean maybe myself and 5 others ), it's pretty much the same story that's happening all over America right now. As MCM/Modernism is just starting to become popular/mainstream, these long-ignored MCM architects are starting to re-emerge, like A.D. Stenger, Fehr and Granger, and Harwell Hamilton Harris down the road in Austin - they were all practically "invisible" two years ago and are now sought out. In Los Angeles, seems like a new Modernist architect pops up every other day, remember that the now ultra-popular (and ultra-pricey) Eichlers (Cliff May, etc.) were long-considered hard-to-sell tract-home eyesores, and previously semi-obscure cutting edge types like Eames, Neutra, Ellwood, and A. Quincy Jones are quickly becoming household names (which is good AND bad, since you could've picked up one their works for a song a few years ago, forget it now, they're so dang expensive it's unreal.).

Anyway, Ryan (deceased) built his residential stuff pretty much exclusively in the Terrell Hills area, a lot of his stuff has been torn down to make way for McMansions as it's a highly desirable neighborhood, but there are a few really cool homes left. I tried desperately to buy one for a while, writing letters to several current owners, a few responded with not ready-to-sell yet, others no reply. Most are in pretty bad shape (although there is one really well-kept one on Newburry Terrace that's mighty nice, directly across the street from an amazing O'Neil Ford. Also next to another small MCM house on "stilts" that MIGHT be a Ryan, but is a super-cool MCM whoever built it. A really cool little MCM "nook" in Terrell), AND most have really high pricetags due almost exclusively to the property values (see the article on the Elizabeth House - way overpriced IMO, as is the one on Ridgmont, really nice, BUT, and sorry Cadillac Mike, but 615K for 1500 sq ft? WOW! Is this LA?).

There was one interesting Ryan on Morningside for sale not long ago in far Terrell Hills (never sold, price went down to 189K before they pulled the listing), BUT directly next to a hellish apartment complex (see another post of mine for details on that - think I posted pics?), I ALMOST bought it, but am glad I had the sense to jump ship on that one, it would've sucked to pour a ton of $$$ into it and never get a penny back if I was forced to sell, etc.

There is another small Ryan in Bel Meade, a really nice up-and-coming 50's Ranch area (where I actually have a contract pending - fingers crossed) that is literally like 3 inches outside the City of Terrell Hills, thus WAY less (like 100 a square foot, BUT most houses are 3000ish square feet, so still relatively high, but nothing compared to AH and TH) and you pay WAY less property taxes as well (they'll kill you in Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills on property tax!). The house is pretty dumpy though, but I bet could be bought pretty cheaply for the area (like 150-180ish?) and rehabbed nicely in an area that will appreciate like mad.

I need to take some Ryan pics, there are maybe 8-10 that I know of.

Oh yeah, here are some articles on, or featuring, Ryan:

1 Rediscovering Milton Ryan/by Melanie Young.
photos.
In: Texas Architect 1985 July-Aug., v.35, no.4, p.54-59.

2 Church and Temples.
ill., plans, det.
In: Progressive Architecture 1956 Oct., v. 37, p. 101-134, 154-155.

3. Religious Buildings.
ill., plans.
(Building types study ; n. 205.)
In: Architectural Record 1953 Dec., v. 114, p. 117-140.

4. They planned their home to simplify living / Kenneth Young.
ill., plans.
In: House Beautiful 1953 Sept., v. 95, p. 150-153.
Summary: House for Dr. & Mrs. Sacks, San Antonio, Texas; Milton A. Ryan, architect.

5. Second story house floats on pipe columns pared down to the true strength of steel [San Antonio, Texas].
ill., plan.
In: Architectural Forum 1951 Oct., v. 95, p. 180-183.

6. Four San Antonio houses set new design and quality standards for merchant builders.
ill., plans.
In: Architectural Forum 1950 Nov., v. 93, p. 113-121.

He appeared in a few other magazines and some design books as well (some archeology will help here .

Old 03-07-2007, 06:09 PM

23 posts, read 93,990 times
I just want to say thanks to googie and all the others on this board who've shared their knowledge of local mid-century moderns. After having lived in Palm Springs for a short time a few years ago, I really developed an interest in the MCM's there and their architects. Of course, I couldn't afford one.
My family and I just moved to SA over the Xmas holidays into a 1961 ranch house in Castle Hills, after searching for a good mid-centruy home with character. We had to be near good schools, etc., and the price had the doable, so that was the best option.
Anyway, getting the scoop here from everyone on the local modern homes has been great, and googie has been a wealth of info.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM

that should read "price had to be do-able"

is that a real word?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenns View Post
I just want to say thanks to googie and all the others on this board who've shared their knowledge of local mid-century moderns. After having lived in Palm Springs for a short time a few years ago, I really developed an interest in the MCM's there and their architects. Of course, I couldn't afford one.
My family and I just moved to SA over the Xmas holidays into a 1961 ranch house in Castle Hills, after searching for a good mid-centruy home with character. We had to be near good schools, etc., and the price had the doable, so that was the best option.
Anyway, getting the scoop here from everyone on the local modern homes has been great, and googie has been a wealth of info.
Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, Castle Hills has some seriously cool mid-century homes, in fact, one was just featured in the local rag San Antonio Woman, here's a link - http://www.sanantoniowoman.com/0107/atHome.html (broken link). My girlfriend and I debated long and hard on moving to that area ourselves, great prices for big ol' Rat Pack-style joints, but having most of my family, and my bsuiness, in the Terrell Hills area kept us over here (and will eternally drain my poor ragged ol' pocketbook ). Man, Palm Springs is AMAZING, I would kill for one of those swanky lil' Alexanders!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 AM

36 posts, read 139,989 times
I found a couple more MCMish homes around John Jay High School. Perhaps not necessarily MCM, but they do have many elements. Looks like a lot of remodels, though, so anyone buying one would have to undo some work.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinga69 View Post
I found a couple more MCMish homes around John Jay High School. Perhaps not necessarily MCM, but they do have many elements. Looks like a lot of remodels, though, so anyone buying one would have to undo some work.
MLS# or subdivision? Thanks!

Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 PM

For anyone interested in MCM architecture and architects, check out a DVD called "Desert Utopia: Mid-century Modern in Palm Springs".
It does focus specifically on Palm Springs, but it is a really cool documentary showcases some of the best MCM architecture around.

Check it out at www.desertutopia.com

Old 03-08-2007, 01:55 PM

36 posts, read 139,989 times
PHM,

I did not see any specific houses for sale, just that there were some in the area.

On another note, I have been trying like heck to bid for some of those old MCM house plan guides on ebay. Those books are expensive. I am planning on taking those old plans (once I bid successfully on one) and taking them to an architect to update them to today's codes. I want to build MCM spec homes. I think there is a small market for them here in San Antonio. We'll see what happens. I will be deploying in May with the AF and will be hitting the ground running when I return in September.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,466 times
Quote:
PHM,

I did not see any specific houses for sale, just that there were some in the area.
Darn!! What are the name(s) of the subdivison(s) around John Jay High School?

Quote:
On another note, I have been trying like heck to bid for some of those old MCM house plan guides on ebay. Those books are expensive.
Yeah those house plans do get expensive. I've been trying to bid on them as well.

Quote:
I am planning on taking those old plans (once I bid successfully on one) and taking them to an architect to update them to today's codes. I want to build MCM spec homes. I think there is a small market for them here in San Antonio. We'll see what happens. I will be deploying in May with the AF and will be hitting the ground running when I return in September.
Cool. Sounds like a plan. As SA's population grows, especially all the ppl relocating from CA, so should your market for MCM's buyers. Be safe when you deploy and hurry on back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio