Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime View Post
Reinforcing a bridge's supports is one thing...

building bike lanes, sidewalks, expanding the
traffic lanes, is another thing, making the
whole enterprise a nightmare for residents
who pass over that bridge several times a day.

The bridge has been adequate for many years
and no one's car has gone into the brink.
It doesn't make any sense to wait until someone gets hurt before doing something about the bridge. Are they making it wider and such, yes, but bike lanes are a great thing IMO. You really don't want more people riding their bikes around rather than cars?

And yes, there will absolutely be car congestion traffic for 15 minutes every day before school and after school. The best place to be is close to the school to avoid waiting for stopped buses because...they don't stop there. Kids who live close don't get bused. Remember kids have to live a mile away to get the bus. You won't have to wait and wait and wait for buses.

I will concede though that the commercial development right there off Fairway is freakishly out of place. It would be nice if it was more of a community oriented business center like having a local doctor, dentist, salon, etc, where neighbors could go and walk to those things. I remember when it was developed thinking they were using that space incorrectly for the community, but that is ultimately up to the developer as long as they follow zoning laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM

142 posts, read 578,465 times
Bottom line....

everything is up to the developer and the
city council, planning engineer...

so residents who treasure the tranquility
of a peaceful road, a quaint little bridge,
and entering an area of beautiful trees
towering over a meandering creek,

can just say goodbye to all that.

I can just see them all out there searching
frantically for another beautiful area to develop.
I do believe that the meadows along Kuebler
near Morningstar Church are now on the cutting block.

And they won't stop there.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime View Post
Bottom line....

everything is up to the developer and the
city council, planning engineer...

so residents who treasure the tranquility
of a peaceful road, a quaint little bridge,
and entering an area of beautiful trees
towering over a meandering creek,

can just say goodbye to all that.

I can just see them all out there searching
frantically for another beautiful area to develop.
I do believe that the meadows along Kuebler
near Morningstar Church are now on the cutting block.

And they won't stop there.

They aren't just now on the cutting block. They have been designated that way in the 10 years I have lived here. Here is the current urban growth boundary, so everything inside of this can be developed. If you want to know what kind of development is slated to be where, here are the current zoning maps for the city of Salem. All areas within the UGB are designated for certain things based on the master plan.

Residents who want that kind of tranquility, honestly, typically live well outside the UGB or they live in the smaller towns which don't grow as fast.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM

23 posts, read 144,668 times
Bottom line: Those with the connections and gold will rule. The overall sense of the whole project, including its viability, are out the window. Leave it to the Rotarians and two bit politicians to dress it up and take it through the hoops. It matters not if it is a question of using and improving the drainage system or installing lighting, the system here works by the same model from the neighborhood association up. It is so midway three card monte, and it is blatant. The right palms need to be greased. In Salem it is the wonderful green talk and the "children" babble used as distraction. Some of this will tone down as the feds ease up on the play money. However, apathy and suckers will provide the same crew plenty of future opportunities.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM

142 posts, read 578,465 times
Frank,

I get the feeling you agree with me!

Glad I am not alone in my idealism.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 PM

Summer:

It is not the idea of Salem being that much different than elsewhere. It is just the galling hypocrisy and blatant Bravo Sierra that these psuedo progressive business types throw around. There is a liturgy these hyenas play off of to lull principled citizens and screw the apathetic. They all start to sound the same. Reading some of the posts were akin to watching a council meeting of the city or county on CCTV. Some of these Babbits actually begin to believe their blather. Swindle and check kites are all for the children and the community. Yes. Sure.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMayo405 View Post
Bottom line: Those with the connections and gold will rule. The overall sense of the whole project, including its viability, are out the window. Leave it to the Rotarians and two bit politicians to dress it up and take it through the hoops. It matters not if it is a question of using and improving the drainage system or installing lighting, the system here works by the same model from the neighborhood association up. It is so midway three card monte, and it is blatant. The right palms need to be greased. In Salem it is the wonderful green talk and the "children" babble used as distraction. Some of this will tone down as the feds ease up on the play money. However, apathy and suckers will provide the same crew plenty of future opportunities.
You sure you aren't describing Kennewick, WA, substituting 'pro-nuclear' for 'green'?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:19 PM

478 posts, read 785,311 times
Quote:
Bottom line: Those with the connections and gold will rule. The overall sense of the whole project, including its viability, are out the window. ...
I see a lot of truth in what you're saying. I've never lived in Salem, but I hope things get better. It is the capitol of my favorite state and I'd rather live there than here in Lynnwood.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Yes, I do understand. The place, for all of its faults, is a great place to be. That really holds now in April. It only gets better. This is part of the problem. Life is so satisfying with its surroundings that people who enjoy being in this part of the Northwest become apathetic in some ways. It definitely is a great location.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
This is part of the problem. Life is so satisfying with its surroundings that people who enjoy being in this part of the Northwest become apathetic in some ways. It definitely is a great location.
Actually I think that is the crux of the problem. People are willing to trade the gorgeous scenery for political buffoonery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem